Author Topic: Gyroptère Chappedelaine "La Puce"  (Read 11433 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Gyroptère Chappedelaine "La Puce"
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »
In 1928, M. de Chappedelaine designed a small VTOL vehicle and built a 1/10 flying model (see  J.C. Carbonel's excellent 1/48 scale model and historical background here: http://modelarchives.free.fr/Bestiaire/ChappeGyro_P/index.html ).

Despite great technical and financial difficulties. M. de Chappedelaine toiled on a full scale vehicle during the 1930s, even though the French government seemed uninterested in his invention. 1938 saw an influx of significant British and US investment and he was able to finally produce a flying vehicle by May 1939. Despite the looming threat of war with Germany, the French government was still uninterested in his gyroptere but were more interested in his unpaid taxes. His foreign investors suggested that he move his operation to the UK, which he did.

The gyroptere first saw action after the defeat of the Vichy collaborators in North Africa during Operation Torch. The British Army used several vehicles (operated by the Free French Forces) as reconnaissance and artillery spotting aircraft. While the gyroptere's performance was quite limited, it was able to hover in place at 1000m altitude. It's small size and unusual shape made it almost invisible from the ground and at that altitude, it was difficult to hear the engines.

Helicopters surpassed the gyroptere in every technical and performance aspect so they quickly taken out of service.

I've wanted to build a version of the gyroptere after seeing JC Carbonel's model. I found a better image of de Chappedelaine's model and some plans, which look very different from the 1/10 scale model or JC Carbonel's 1/48 scale interpretation.

I designed the model in Rhino 3D and flattened it to produce outlines that I could glue to plastic and cut to shape. I wasn't sure of which scale to build it in (1/72 or 1/35) so I made paper and cardboard versions in both scales. I decided to go with 1/72:

I also added extra windows and doors. The rear hatch slides open and allows the observer to use a gun for defense:

This is the final mediocre result. I had a lot of problems with the Vallejo gray primer, which peeled, bubbled and cracked in some spots. It also interacted with the Gunze Sangyo masking fluid which may have been the source of some of the problems. I'm not at all happy with the finish, but it looks OK from 2 - 3 feet.
The windows are clear masking tape. I removed the tape glue, then glued the clear tape with pressure sensitive adhesive and super glue.

The flea and other decals are all home made.

While not visible, the pilot's seat is scratch-built. I added two fuel tanks (made from sprue) to the cockpit (which I'm sure the pilots were not happy about).

Here's a Preiser figure for scale:

The model is mostly scratchbuilt. The cowls for the squirrel fans/impellers are from an old LS Ki-46III Dinah. The landing gear is from an old Huma Me-P.1101 and left over from another Huma kit (a Bu.181). The machine gun is from an old Matchbox Ju 188 kit and it has a PE sight. The intakes on top and details inside the cowl (not really visible) are from a Kotobukiya mecha detailing set.

I thought about how this vehicle would have flown and been controlled. I'm not sure that it would have even been able to get off the ground, but just in case, I added ducts underneath to allow for pitch and yaw (via vanes):

It's not very different in concept from the Garrett AiResearch STAMP vehicle ((Google search)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Gyroptère Chappedelaine "La Puce"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
That is one unique and well made little "aircraft" there sir, bravo!!!  Thought it was some sort of desert car at first glance.  Never heard of these before, thanks for the enlightenment!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Very nice!  Would be neat if that is all it took to have a real flying car :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
great scratch work

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
Beautiful !!!   Excellent scratched build !!!  I had never heard of this at all but I find it fascinating !!!  How can I get a set of those plans ?  I would love to build one for myself. I hope I can do yours justice.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
Wow!!  I mean seriously, WOW,!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
I have turned green while looking at the pictures.
Congrats - is an impressive and cool build  8)

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »
Excellent. Very original. Gotta love anything scratchbuilt.

Ed

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:34 PM »
 :-*  Too cool! I could see this skimming across the desert at low altitude.
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
Wow! Excellent work!!  :) I think it turned out great despite the primer trouble. wonderfully different  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »
 :) :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys. I consider it a pretty poor scratchbuild, with gaps and surface defects (although the rear entry hatch does have a curved upper edge - it follows the curve of the upper surface.)  I may go for a 1/35 version and have it laser cut.
father ennis - I'll look up the source of the plan I found. There's only one higher resolution picture of the 1/10 scale model.

I liked imagining the engineering required to make this a real vehicle. The large engine compartment would have a couple of radial engines and ducting for the forward and aft exhausts.  With some lightweight construction (mostly wood) this might get off the ground. With a tail wind. Down hill.

But I'm not an aeronautical engineer - maybe Evan will chime in with his expertise.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:44:26 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
I looked online and I couldn't find the source of the drawings or better image of the original model, so here's what I have. I clearly took some liberties with my version:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »
I'm just astonished by this amazing project, Frank!

What an incredible feat of scratch-building!

You sir have hit this whiff completely out of the ballpark!

I am in awe!

Brian da Basher

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 06:17:39 AM »
Excellent job on that flying machine Frank. ;D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »
 Nifty! When I read the thread title, the first thing that popped into my head was the asymetric rotor craft that I think is lurking somewhere at Modelstories...

This one is a neat little craft-making the windows out of tape is pretty amazing. How did you remove the
adhesive? Alchohol, or something else?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Craig,
 You're thinking of the Papin-Rouilly Gyroptère (Wikipedia) or  Google image search. It was a crazy single blade flying...something (well, it didn't quite fly).

I tried alcohol and acetone to remove the glue, but they were only mildly effective on their own. I had to rub most of it off. It worked pretty well.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
Next time you want to remove the glue  you should use lighter fluid. It will remove almost any kind of adhesive. SomethingI learned as a frat pledge way back when. A great item to just have around the house,too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:38:08 PM by father ennis »
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »
Next time you want to remove the glue  you should use lighter fluid. It will remove almost any kind of adhesive. Griving I learned as a frat pledge way back when. A great item to just have around the house,too.

Thanks - didn't even think of that; I even have some that I bought to use as a paint stripper years ago!