Author Topic: F6F "Sandcat" from the HobbyBoss Hellcat  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
F6F "Sandcat" from the HobbyBoss Hellcat
« on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »
Things were grim in North Africa for the U.S. in early 1943. The P-40s delivered by aircraft carrier in Operation Torch had failed to deliver air supremacy. German and Italian aircraft bombed and strafed the Americans with impunity and the Allied offensive was stopped dead in its tracks. Clearly something had to be done. When the situation is most dire, send in the Marines!

VMF-202 arrived in North Africa in February, 1943 with their new, almost experimental, Grumman F6F-2X Sandcat fighters. Painted in desert camo and sporting the colorful new red-bordered U.S. markings and British fin flash, the Marines took off from the U.S.S. Ranger and started attacking Axis aircraft while en route to their new base.

German and Italian pilots were shocked by the new Grumman figher's speed and ability to absorb damage. The Marines of VMF-202 ("Skullcrushers") were a force to be reckoned with.

Led by Major Ed Hatch, the Skullcrushers employed a unique tactic developed by their C.O.

Known as the "Hatch Heave", this maneuver not only shook off enemy bandits, but often led to the Marine pilot losing his lunch in the bargain. Fortunately, the new Grumman fighters were as easy to clean as they were durable.

After being featured in Life magazine, the Skullcrushers and their desert-modified F6F-2X Sandcats became famous. Once Axis airpower was obliterated and the Allies finally chased the last of the enemy from Africa, VMF-202 and their iconic fighters were rotated state-side to participate in war bond drives.

While the F6F-2X was superceded by newer fighters, notably the F6F-3 and is all but forgotten today, for one brief moment, the fate of Allied armies rested on it and the bravery of its Marine pilots.

Sometimes you just want a simple project and HobbyBoss kits are perfect for this. I started with their 1/72 scale F6F-5 which I picked up on sale for less than $5 not too long ago.

The design of these kits makes assembly simple, but serious modifications a non-starter for me. I had to come up with something. I'd already decided a four-bladed prop with a pointy spinner would be a nice addition but then when this GB came around, it hit me: I'd never seen a Hellcat in desert camo.

Decals are from spares and the neat "Skullcrushers" skull & crossbones on the cowling was courtesy of Mr. GTX himself. Thanks, Greg!

This project took me four days from start to finish and I had a blast the entire time! I hope you enjoyed it and will get inspired to join in the fun!

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:43:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
Re: F6F "Sandcat" from the HobbyBoss Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:44:32 AM »
Now, that is real nice - a perfect little birdie!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:11 AM »
Exactly what a Sandcat would be.   :)
Do like effect of prop & hub change along with well chosen camo.  8)

Arrow on wing looks like reminder to pilot for which end of plane goes forward.  As if to avoid pilot trying to fly tail first.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:58:26 AM by finsrin »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »
Like the new prop spinner as well and the markings are great all around.  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
Very nice!  It looks great!  Great job, Brian!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:41:03 PM »
While the "Hatch Heave" won't make the pilots very popular with thier crew chiefs, I'm sure they were happy to have such a capable bird to perform the manuver in. Looks great in the desert scheme!  :) 
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:26:12 AM »
Very nice Brian, the spinner gives it a very distinct look.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:49:14 AM »
Brian
Another stunning aircraft and story to go along with it. ;D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:54 AM »
Love camo Hellcats!  Great story and build man.  Those HB kits don't disappoint us whiffers too easily do they?  ;)

Hatch Heave....priceless!!!!!!!!  ;D
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »
Very nice.......