Author Topic: Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
Hi guys

Very recently, I came across a build of this ship that inspired me so much that I spent a couple of weeks looking for one online for sale. I eventually found one on the French eBay site which cost me more than I want to share, but I feel it was very much well worth it.
The QM2 is such a beautiful looking ship for a floating hotel and the more I research her, the more I like her. I know that sounds suspiciously like I am Fake Book stalking a girl, but I promise it's not like that....

I have bought the GMM PE set and the Artwox deck set - both of which are here in front of me. HOWEVER,  I somehow managed to buy a second PE set by accident - in the same order. I have no idea how I didn't notice that but I didn't. So:.....The spare set is now up for sale if anyone wants it?

I am also going to light this sucker up using the 5m Warm White LED strip that I got in the mail on Monday and also the implementation of many various coloured SMD's and Fiber Optics.
I have seen a few lit QM2's on the net and they are very nice, but I hope to avoid making the same mistake a couple of them seemed to have made which is to use those massive 3mm LED's on the OUTSIDE of the ship (it looks terrible when the lights are out).

So, a little bit abut the actual kit for those who have never heard of it until now (like me 5 weeks ago). It is a massive but beautiful beast made by Revell (kit #05223) that is sadly now out of production. My copy has a fair amount of flash on it, but nothing a file won't fix. There is a LOT to do on it but I do believe that the end result will be so worth it.
It measures out to be an impressive 85cm long and has all the necessary details to make a decent replica of the QM2. There is a noticeable lack of windows behind the upper and lower decks but this is nothing some clear plastic sheet won't cure. I am intending on cutting some clear sheet up and spray it flat clear to help disperse the LED lighting behind it. It will also help to stop it looking like a void behind the spaces.

I have only a few pictures because I have only just started it. Once the SU-33 is finished, I will be able to do more and post some pictures :)

I realise the above is nothing very exciting - and for that I do apologise but it will get better
As always, thanks for stopping in!
Regards,
Si
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »
Looks like a project.  Otta keep you busy for quite a while.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
yes- I do envision it taking a longish time - although that thought doesn't bother me. It's the amount of painting I need to do which does :D

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »
alrighty then, so work has begun in earnest and so far all I have done is drill and sand windows. I had to replace the center parts of the lower windows because when I drill ed them out, I couldn't make the straight enough and the file wasn't small enough to fit, so I cut the center part out, filed it all down flat and straight, and then replaced the center bit with strip styrene

A task that I wasn't expecting to have to do, but in the end it looks much better than what it used to when I first did it

This is not a small ship - as seen by this convenient size comparison between a 1/35 K5 Railroad gun and an unfinished 1/350 Admiral Lazarev:

This will eclipse the K5 when it's done!!

Tomorrow will hopefully see the rest of the windows added and then I will look at light blocking the insides before gluing the 2 halves together  and get ready to start the lighting installation

thanks for looking

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »
Woo hoo...

Really hanging to see  how you light this. It is one sort of model that does not appear very often if at all with lighting effects.
In fact a Cruise ship screams out for lighting

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
I agree - a cruise ship is the perfect subject for lighting and I  think this should be easy enough to do. I cheated a bit this time and bought one of those LED strip reels for like $6 with free delivery and its 5 meters long. You just cut to length what you need and your sorted. I think on a subject like this which is 85cm long it needs a product such as that. I am thinking about buying some special connectors for the top deck (the reel only comes with one end that has wires attached to it) but at he same time, I could just solder on some wire to the bare ends and have the same effect. I'm just being lazy really

I have just finished light blocking the inside of the hull and it's now dried so I can get the hull together soon and really begin to get it all sorted out. I'm going to paint the hull first and then add the exterior lights once they arrive from China (good ol pre-wired SMD's - again - I am just too lazy to solder my own)
I should have some pics up once I have actually done something worth taking pictures of.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
So, work continues at my usual glacial pace and I finally have some progress worth showing
First up are the swimming pools - they are base painted and ready for the PE hand rails and then the clear resin. I have drilled some holes in the corners ready for some fiber optic cable to go in for pool lights. I'm thinking I may use an aqua coloured LED as a source to give it a better impression of not only depth but a better looking colour
I'm quite surprised to see a lack of some hand rails from the PE set for the pool surrounds. There are the surrounds for the spa pools but not the main ones. A rather odd omission from GGM here but not something that isn't able to be sorted out

Next up, I have finally got the paint on the hull and I am ready to start decalling it. Once the decals and flat coat etc are on, I will install the lighting and move on from there. This ship is so big it's hard to photograph!

I've used Gunze Midnight Blue for the dark strip and matches nicely to the photos I have of her. Just a couple of touch ups to do though up front, but I am hoping to have the decals on this weekend.
More soon
Thanks for looking
Si

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »
It's a treat watching this one progress. I always enjoy ocean liner builds, they always have a majestic quality to them!

Carry on sir, carry on!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.
Time for a small update.  Things are progressing - all be it very slowly as I try to juggle study, work, life and trying to finish off another project so I can concentrate more on this build.
The decals are one and they look fine. I still need to tidy up a bit on the front as they didn't sit right but it's nothing really.

I have the wooden decking on some of it now and I must say, it does look rather spiffing

The pool lights are in and a test shows them to be looking very effective. They'll look even better once the clear resin goes in and the PE is attached

Well, that;s all I have for now, but I shall be back again soon
Thanks for looking
Si

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
too cool !

Is that an artworx deck ?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Fantastic work going on here, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
thanks fellas :)

too cool !

Is that an artworx deck ?

yes it is. They aren't too bad to use really and appear to be the right sizes. Mind you, early days yet!

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
Things are progressing slowly. I finally have the lighting bar set up ready for the strip lights to go on..Its at such an angle to try and get as much light outwards as possible.We'll see soon enough if it works

some of the smaller structures have been assembled ready for clean up:

I have also painted the fibers - however, I am finding that in some cases they are breaking. They aren't under any strain, but I think the lacquer paint (Tamiya Spray cans) is eating away at the fibers. Its the only thing I can think of as to why they have started breaking. It's not a big deal - I'll just replace the broken fibers but its just a PITA to have to do that again

Well, that's all I have for now but I shall be back soon with the results of the lighting test :)

Si

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
test lighting images:

I need to add some foil to the bottom of the top plate to help reflect the light around more. More later when I have done more work on it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
It's been almost a year since I last updated this. I have been working on it on and off again in the time since but I have had to wait a month or so for the replacement clear frames from Revell in Germany. It was quite a process to get it done, but worth it. I royally screwed up the first frames using the wrong tint and paint but not so this one.

I've run a dark euro Vallejo wash over the wooden decking to give it a richer colour than pine. It has soaked in nicely and I am very happy with how its come out

A couple of the pools have the railings and water added as well

The power socket for the top half of the ship lighting has been installed and ready to go:

The bridge is almost ready for lighting:

I have also added clear plastic strips and pieces as windows for the bridge and the forward facing part of the super structure:

The back lighting for the Ship name is done:

The (dry) fit is less than stellar here:

And the sides are done as well:

There are other smaller sub structures done as well but not worth photographing yet.

I'm trying to move on with it now in  time for Expo, but it may not get there this year.

That's all for now, but thanks for looking

Si

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:26 AM »
Worth the wait from my perspective.. this is really popping already

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks Brian
I'm trying to get it done for Expo this year, but it's not looking too good at this stage. Time will tell