Author Topic: Vought F6U1 Pirate - Fail in real life, but good for whiffing!  (Read 512 times)

Offline Faust

• The man from the Sprue Lagoon...a natural here!
    • The Sprue Lagoon
Vought F6U1 Pirate - Fail in real life, but good for whiffing!
« on: November 11, 2023, 10:47:16 AM »
As I go through my modelling journey, I find that I get onto “themes”; I’ll go hog-wild over various familes of planes, and scoop up all of what I can locate like a Roomba eats dirt. Sometimes it’s a specific type of plane, like a float plane, or one-seaters that were made from two-seaters. Other times, I get fixated on a service, like the WWII IJN or Royal Navy jets. One such tear saw me dive into the world of US Navy and Marines jets. My Twogar is a result of that particular episode.

However, it’s likely no surprise that even when “under the influence” of a particular fetish, I still have a nose for the weird and often best forgotten. Surely, one such aircraft must be the Vought F6U1 Pirate, the first attempt by that storied company to produce a jet. Dumpy, barely capable of flight and deemed unfit for service, it was a long way from its later siblings the Crusader and Corsair II.

Of course, when I came across the Admiral kit of this portly aeronautical dead end, I had to have it. Since it’s the 11th Anniversary of the Sprue Lagoon, I thought this would be a fun way to celebrate.

Not only that, but just think of all the things you can do with this: Korean War fighter-bomber, 'Nam-era cammo (maybe black underside?) or even foreign service, like RN or even Argentinian Navy? While the jet was a dead end, the whiffing potential is almost endless!

Check out this half-baked and half-wooden faltering first step at the link below. Don’t tell me you don’t think it has a certain loveable charm!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/admiral-1-72-vought-f6u-1-pirate-early-oob/

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Vought F6U1 Pirate - Fail in real life, but good for whiffing!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »
Totally agree with all lines of what you posted.  :smiley:
Upgrade Pirate with F-5E J85.  Dimensions good for fuselage.  Afterburner nozzle at exhaust.  'Nam-era cammo.  Or do whatever you like.
Couple are in stash, thought of doing something like that.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 10:46:22 PM »
You could make that into a Korean War A-10 equivalent without too much hassle. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 05:31:12 AM »
AZ made many versions, like the Pirate "International":

or dogfighting MiG-9s:

Here's the collection of boxings on Sacalemates.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 09:07:23 AM »
How about that box art.  Pirate and Mig-9s.  Creative  :smiley: