Author Topic: If Jules Verne drove a Tesla…  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
If Jules Verne drove a Tesla…
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Click html or thumbnail image view article
Quote from: Richard Lane - If Jules Verne drove a Tesla… Meet the Icon Helios date=20140731
Jonathan Ward wants to teleport steampunk into the twenty-first century, with some help from Tesla Motors. 

Diseno-Art.com - Tesla-Based Icon Helios

TopGear.com - The new Icon Helios is incredible (Vijay Pattni, 20140804)

More links and images of the Icon Helios via the links below for Google search results. 

Google - News for Icon Helios

Google - Images for Icon Helios
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:51:48 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Re: If Jules Verne drove a Tesla…
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »
That's a lovely design .............  quite like the Tesla ModelX SUV too. This electric car tech stuff is coming forward in leaps n bounds.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
I have a Tesla dealership within walking distance (I think it was the first) so I see them on the streets often. Beautiful cars! This Icon has given me some ideas...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
I have a Tesla dealership within walking distance (I think it was the first) so I see them on the streets often. Beautiful cars! This Icon has given me some ideas...
While most of these electrically powered vehicles do not impress me, this one does.  It would be a vehicle that I would be proud to own and drive but I suspect the price tag will make that impossible.  If they are going to go retro then why not consider an electrically powered clone of the Auburn Motors 1937 Cord?  That would be an incredible looking electric car. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »
  ........  If they are going to go retro then why not consider an electrically powered clone of the Auburn Motors 1937 Cord?  That would be an incredible looking electric car. 

Heck yeah, sorta like Nemos car off the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen .......  :-*

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
While most of these electrically powered vehicles do not impress me, this one does.  It would be a vehicle that I would be proud to own and drive but I suspect the price tag will make that impossible.  If they are going to go retro then why not consider an electrically powered clone of the Auburn Motors 1937 Cord?  That would be an incredible looking electric car.

The Teslas are expensive, but you do get what you pay for in terms of safety (only one person killed in a Tesla - a carjacker - who was ejected after the vehicle hit a wall at over 100MPH. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt...) and long term economy. They will start making cheaper cars and the mega battery factory that they'll be building will make a huge impact. Elon Musk is someone to admire (SpaceX and Tesla).

My Dad loved the Cord 812 and did a fantastic job on the mid 1960s AMT (ex-ERTL) 1/12 scale model. It had working doors and headlights (IIRC he added to the model). A retro-futuristic version of the Cord would be great. The extra space could be for storage or more batteries ("Tesla Cord - Coast to Coast on one charge!")

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
A cordless Cord?
 ;D

Alvis 3.1

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
Steampunk? Not, what a moronic article, the rendering shows a vehicle that draws from
numerous mid to late thirties Streamline designs. The designer speaks of
using the idiom of the Streamline Era and the idiot writer thinks it's "Steampunk"?

The Jalopnik talk with Ward is a better read:
http://jalopnik.com/icon-wants-to-use-a-tesla-to-create-this-gorgeous-one-1612442415

His design is OK, but not very original I see a whole lot of Bugatti, Adler, Tatra, Cord and Lincoln.

Even some Auto-Union Porsche Type 52:

http://fuelfed.wordpress.com/tag/audi-porsche-type-52-rosemeyer-auto-union/

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014