Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905343 times)

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #475 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »
Those C.202s are rather tasty.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #476 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Love the Il-21 "Batty"  :-*   Way cool!
Doom!
Jeff G.

« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2012, 02:05:54 AM »
It's weird how right your Macchi looks in the French camo but how not quite right in the Italian ones!   :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:57:50 PM by Empty Handed »

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #478 on: July 31, 2012, 02:57:22 AM »
Excellent

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #479 on: August 01, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
... but how not quite right in the Italian ones!

Ah, sounds like you're asking for more!  >:D

... Italy split in two after its armistice with Germany. In the north, the Repubblica Sociale Italiana claimed to represent the true roots of fascism. The Luftwaffe helped establish an Aeronautica della RSI using captured equipment. ARSI fighter units were equipped with former French and Regia Aeronautica C.202s as well as newly-built Macchi aircraft.

Standard RSI fighter camouflage consisted of a Luftwaffe-style splinter pattern (colours varying) applied over RA Verde Mimetico 2 base paint. The fuselage sides were sprayed over with undersurface Grigio Chiaro, then blotched with Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1.

'Yellow 7' is a C.202 serie III newly-delivered direct from the Macchi factory at Lonate Pozzolo. This fighter, based at Turin (Caselle), carries the 'Diavolo Russo' emblem of 410ª Squadriglia CT. ARSI 'claimed' this unit despite the RA's 410ª Squadriglia still existing in East Africa, resulting in the same squadron number with similar emblems existing in both Italian air arms!

The Regia Aeronautica C.202 serie II wears the 'uovo in camicia' (poached egg) scheme. This Grottaglie-based Macchi has the 'Cavallino Rampante' emblem of 91ª Squadriglia CT, 10 Gruppo CT, 4 Stormo CT. 91-5 was lost in the Mediterranean during the retreat from Apulia to Libya.

C.202 serie I 154-5 originated with the Armée de l'Air. Surrendered to the Luftwaffe, 154-5 was repainted and issued to the ARSI only to have its pilot defect to the Regia Aeronautica in Sardinia. There, this Macchi served with 154ª Squadriglia of 3º Gruppo Autonomo Caccia at Monserrato (then re-equipping from Fiat CR.32s). 154-5 was lost to a Bf-109 before it could be repainted in full Regia Aeronautica colours.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #480 on: August 01, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
Dewoitine + Macchi = LOVE  :D
Looks very very good,me likey  :-*
Alex

« Reply #481 on: August 01, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
I don't use the word sexy very often but if I did.......

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #482 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
I don't use the word sexy very often but if I did.......

The only thing that could make this any hotter would be spats:-* :-* :-*

Although I'm already swooning as is!

Excellent work, Apophenia!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #483 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
Quote from: Brian da Basher link=topic=351.msg23960#msg23960
The only thing that could make this any hotter would be [b
spats[/b]!

Oooo, don't tempt me evil one!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #484 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
Ages ago I did a 3-view of a single-seat FAA fighter derived from the Blackburn Skua. Unfortunately, the drawing I worked from wasn't very accurate. So, revisting an oldie, here's the Blackburn B.25 Firebird naval fighter (to O.30/35).

The idea was an alternative to the Sea Gladiator biplane with maximum commonality with the shipboard divebomber of the day. Not a very original concept but it was fun to play with. Once done, I decided to do a 'Mk.II' with Merlin engine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:57:02 AM by apophenia »

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #485 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
I like it!  Not sure the name would go over well in 1940, but it sure looks the business.  I especially like the Merlin version. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #486 on: August 07, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
The Merlin version looks great.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #487 on: August 07, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
I absolutely love the Merlin Skua although I agree the admiralty would take a dim view of "Jaeger". Perhaps Auk, Guillemot, Petrel, Cormorant. Even Gannet was used by the FAA twice, with the Hellcat initially named Gannet. Why not make it three times?  ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »
Since jaegers are smaller skuas, it seemed like a good fit. But, I can see how a name derived from Jäger mightn't be all that popular in the '30s!  :o

EH: good alternative bird names but, if I can't stay within the Stercorariidae, I thought I'd spin off from the Roc name. So, I changed the name to another mythical creature ... the Firebird ... hinting at Blackburn's future Firebrand fighter  ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
Your Blackburn Firebirds are wonderful, apophenia! I really like your thinking behind them and FAA colors are always a plus!

I never thought I'd say that, but with the Mk. II, I've finally seen a Blackburn that's easy on the eyes!

Outstanding!

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
 Great work, I wonder if there is a FAA Hawker family in development.  A carrier based Henley dive bomer anyone?

« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
Firebird is most apropos indeed!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
Thanks folks! Here's the next installment:

A 'growth' version of the Blackburn B.25, the Firebird Mk.III, was put forward to meet N.11/40 for a Napier Sabre-powered, cannon-armed naval interceptor. Two proposals were made.

The Mk.III (1) was a 'least mod' version of the Merlin Firebird, powered by a 2100 hp Sabre I and armed with four 20mm Hispano cannons. The Mk.III (2) was a more radical redesign of the original Firebird with a mid-positioned Sabre driving an extension shaft and a 40mm Vickers S gun firing through a 'hollow' propeller shaft.

In the end, another Blackburn design was chosen to meet the N.11/40 specification, the B.37 Firebrand.

I never thought I'd say that, but with the Mk. II, I've finally seen a Blackburn that's easy on the eyes!

I always thought that the late-model 'Firebrick' looked half decent. Obviously that one snuck past and typical Blackburn esthetics returned for the Firecrest   :P

Offline apophenia

« Reply #493 on: August 12, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
Litvak's mention of her AltBC site reminded me that I'd done an HAE ad.
http://altcan.webs.com/altbc/

So, here's a 1938 clipping from The Vancouver Sun advertising Hoffar Aero Engines' stand at the Vancouver Exhibition at Hastings Park.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #494 on: August 13, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Spinning off from one of Thiel's concepts ...

At the end of WWII, Danish authorities were ordered to destroy all abandoned or captured German military equipment. Instead, the Danes followed their own 1940 example and hid aircraft and weapons away. One such aircraft was the Heinkel He-219A-7 night fighter.

The He-219 Uhu (Eagle Owl) was a high performance aircraft but Denmark had no pressing need for a night fighter. The He-219A-7s were issued to the Marinens Flyvevæsen (Naval Air Service) which employed them in the anti-shipping role. In MF service, the He-219A-7 became the L.A.2  Høgeugle (or Hawk Owl).*

By 1948, the Danes were running low on spares for the L.A.2's DB 603A engines. One aircraft (297) was set aside for engine conversion. Based on weight and size, it was concluded that the RR Griffon VI would make a suitable substitute powerplant. Re-engined with this 1,850 hp engine, 297 became the prototype L.A.3 Høgeugle II.

[* L.A. was the MF code for Landfly Angrebsfly or a land-based attack aircraft. Originally, the L.A.II was to be named Stor-Hornugle - a direct translation of the German Uhu was proposed. But the Eurasian Eagle Owl had become extinct in Denmark late in the 19th century. The extant Høgeugle was chosen as a substitute namesake.]

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
Griffon-powered Uhu looks pretty great!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
The one with a nose cone is nicely completing the Uhu family, thanks!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline TerryCampion

• Be careful asking for his photos…he might send them to you!
  • Radish by a new moniker
« Reply #498 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Great 219s!!

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #499 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
A Uhu with Griffons and five blade props?!  Hell, yeah!!! :)
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/