Author Topic: 1/35 Articulated tank  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Articulated tank
« on: February 21, 2024, 11:20:12 AM »
While building the Apocalypse tank I considered articulating it, but it just wasn't feasible with the location of the turret and the thickness of the plastic. Still, it sounded like a good idea.

I considered the Meng Toon tanks as a source for an articulated tank, but I wasn't sure of their size. In-box reviews of the (probably a type 99) Meng Kids New "Chinese Main Battle Tank" showed that it was pretty big.

I found a great build on Armorama showing that this kit can look pretty nice in the right hands.

During a sale at Sprue Bros, I got two of the tanks and sure enough, the tank is about 3/4 the length of the Tamiya M41. As seen in the Armorama link, it would have been easy to slap two of the tank hulls together, articulate them and modify one of the turrets.

Yeah, well, that's not what I did. I didn't like the (not very visible) simplified Russian/Chinese style road wheels, so I modified the tracks to accept 1/35 M1 Abrams wheels, provided by Jeff Fontaine (thanks, Jeff!). That was a pretty easy mod, but the tracks now looked like crap... so I cut off the track connectors from several runs of the Abrams tracks and made cutouts in the Meng tracks (very soft plastic, so easy to do) for the connectors.

For the articulation, I had a ball joint that I'd designed for an LED light (for my Donegal visor), so I modified the design and printed out a version to connect the two tanks. It worked well:

I extended one of the kit turrets and used one of the left over barrels from the Apocalypse tank and got this:

Ehhhh...

I thought an unmanned turret might look good, and I found this image in a Secret Projects Forum thread:

So I started cutting plastic while watching a marathon of old episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Youtube. I also modified the turret connection to bring the turret up a bit:

Climbing the piles of junk on my desk:

This is where I am today. The M113 hatch is just a place holder :

I have to figure out a crew layout - the tracks are pretty wide, so the crew will either need a tandem seating arrangement (driver, tank commander, gunner) in the front half or driver and tank commander side by side with the gunner behind them. Moving the gunner to the rear hull may also work.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: 1/35 Articulated tank
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 11:32:21 AM »
Great approach for an articulated tank, Frank! And love you ball-and-socket joint  :D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 04:55:22 PM »
Thinking outside box  :D :D

Love the idea

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:54:21 PM »
That is looking sharp!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 10:02:49 PM »
Interesting. Looks to be a contender for a UGV/Autonymous AI Tank.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 11:58:42 PM »
Thanks, guys. It's a pretty big vehicle now.

The ball joint holds well, but is easy to pull apart. I had to sand down the ball to make it less stiff.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 12:04:14 AM »
Looks good . . .  :smiley:
I was thinking, get two more, join the hulls together, and use your modded manned turret . . .
cheers,Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 01:09:02 AM »
Out of the box proportions of the hulls certainly makes this articulated vehicle a very smart move.  Definitely like the ball-joint connection to mate the hulls together.  Simple and brilliant!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:15:53 AM »

I thought an unmanned turret might look good, and I found this image in a Secret Projects Forum thread:

Totally TWILIGHT 2000!

I still want to see your take on the French design
https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1791.msg211374#msg211374
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:23:28 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 02:04:29 AM »
If I flip the rear hull as suggested over at What-if, then by default this will have to be a French tank, like the Panhard EBR

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 10:24:20 AM »
I reversed the running gear on the rear hull and printed a new articulation. Not sure if this is better or not; the gap between the two hulls seems excessive:

I can try shortening it by 10mm or so, or move the turret support over the end of the rear hull; that will reduce the gap by quite a bit. I'll try it tomorrow.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 04:12:42 PM »
Frank, if the "reversed" look doesn't gel with you, don't worry about it.

It is your build, after all, mate, not ours. ;) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 08:41:30 PM »
If I may offer my 2 centavos of Etherium;

I like your first iteration, though maybe move the turret back and then the forward crew compartment could detach and leave the damaged turret behind in the event of combat damage.

This would also suggest different rear unit variants: Air Defense, Recovery, Mortar, Logistics...

Agree with you that the gap is too wide in the 2nd interation.  Either way, please proceed with this project. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 11:30:19 PM »
The pushme-pullyou configuration isn't bad, and I like it for symmetry. The greater gap between hulls might make it a little more nimble?  But I wish there was something besides a gun in the turret. Even my 'thats SO COOL' sensibilities rebel at that much weight and recoil on such a flimsy joint.

Quibbles aside, it is a great concept, and the execution will be a marvel as usual.  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 11:57:02 AM »
I put down a layer of Stynylrez primer - looks close enough to the various desert sand colors.

I'll probably add another layer (especially on the turret) and add some stripes/blobs of middlestone, dark green or both. I thought about doing a digital camo pattern... but I'm not (that) insane. I wanted to add a M1151 Remote Weapons Station, but despite all those flat surfaces, there really isn't much room - best place would be on the box at the rear - like a "stinger" it just barely clears the turret.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2024, 02:31:07 PM »
Delightful strangeness  :smiley:     Another marvel of styrene engineering taking form.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2024, 09:28:05 AM »
I put down a layer of Stynylrez primer - looks close enough to the various desert sand colors...

Very nice  :smiley:

... I wanted to add a M1151 Remote Weapons Station, but despite all those flat surfaces, there really isn't much room - best place would be on the box at the rear - like a "stinger" it just barely clears the turret.

How about mounting the RWS on top of the main turret? Perhaps where the little vent sits now?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2024, 10:31:14 AM »
Tanks, guys!

The turret is a lot smaller than it looks. The M1151 on top of the turret sticks out like dog's balls. On the front hull, it hits the barrel. It still comes close when pointed to the rear, but I figure that last 10 degree or so wedge cut out of the firing arc isn't significant.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2024, 06:20:38 PM »
I figure that last 10 degree or so wedge cut out of the firing arc isn't significant.

Until it is! :o ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 01:02:07 PM »
I may have gone a bit overboard with the digital-ish camo... it's also not very straight, but most of the sins will vanish with the weathering:

The colors are Badger Stynylrez neutral (a sand color), AK Interactive middlestone and Tamiya NATO green. The colors seem greenish in these pictures:

I'll photograph it against the trees tomorrow. The camo is pretty effective at hiding the outline of the tank against the trees. Gaudy, but it seems to work.

I also plopped a RWS on top, just to see how it would look. A MK 19 grenade launcher will ruin anyone's day:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 01:55:32 PM »
"Something Blurry This Way Comes." 
That is one complicated camouflage pattern.  Overall it makes the vehicle difficult to identify at distance. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 05:13:05 PM »
I may have gone a bit overboard with the digital-ish camo...

No such thing!!  I love it ... digital dazzle camouflage  :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 09:58:15 PM »
You missed a word, Jeff!

"Something Blurry This Way Comes." 
That is one complicated camouflage pattern.  Overall it makes the vehicle difficult to identify at ANY distance.

Major, there's somethin' comin' outa the woods. Ain't got no idea what it is, 'coz my eyes go all fuzzy when I look at it, but it's big, it's loud & it scares the willies outa me! :o

I like it! :D :smiley:

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 10:03:48 PM »
[South Park] It's coming right at us![/South Park]

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 01:05:32 AM »
That’s one complex but extremely effective paint job - awesome!   :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!