Author Topic: Marder A3 JAF (Jordan)  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
Marder A3 JAF (Jordan)
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
Hello friends of Marder,
More old german Marder are saved. On december 11, 2016, the German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen handed over the first of 50 Spz Marder in Amman to the jordanian army. There are surplus german Marder A3. It is the Revell A3 kit in 1/35 with some modifications. I painted in Revell 89. The marking on the front is a part from the real photo.

Didi

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: Marder A3 JAF (Jordan)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »
Very nice!  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:13:36 AM »
Cool! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 05:19:35 AM »
Wow what an impressive AFV!

My favorite part is all the little lights, especially the orange one on top of the turret.

Nice work!

Brian da Basher

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 05:33:09 AM »
Lovely build. And an interesting version....

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
one of my favourite modern vehicles.  will look great in paint & rag cam !

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »
As a whiff, Germany apparently offered Australia as many Leo 2s and Marders, at an almost giveaway price, as they wanted in the 90s but of course were turned down as Australia didn't need new tanks and the M-113 upgrade was going to deliver everything they needed.  Several years later an Australian PM promised a US President an armoured brigade, that didn't exist, to assist with the invasion of Iraq.

In an Alt (common sense) universe, Australia says "Yes thankyou, we were about to waste a billion dollars on upgrading our clapped out M-113s in a risky program that would strip the reserves of armour and leave the regular army without a sufficiently protected AIFV for operations, these will be much better".  The Leo 2s and Marders are adopted and upgraded using off the shelf German options, for far less than the M-113 upgrade cost, with sufficient vehicles being acquired to equip one regular and one reserve armoured brigade, each with three battle groups.  ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:45 AM »
Nice job Didi  :)

Volkodav: Australian Army recce Marders with ASLAV-25's Delco turret and Bushmaster gun?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:43 AM »
Hmm, does this mean I have to buy another Marder? ???

(& another ASLAV, 'coz I've used bits of the turret for other builds? :-\ )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
I think I mentioned that I recently found a Tamiya Marder, with an Italeri LAV 25 Delco turret in the box, in my stash. 

Now for a sort of real world sort of whiff, sort of regret, in the early 2000s I had three job applications in and I was offered the one I was least impressed with first and basically had to take it as I was due to start on the day I was meant to have my second interview at the one I wanted and meet the hiring manager.  Anyway my concerns over the job I took were well founded when the entire department I had been hired into was wound up two weeks after I started, I rang to see if the other roles were still open, no luck there, in fact I was told that I was the second of two preferred candidates who had pulled out of the process to have had their jobs fall over and that the third candidate had been employed without competition.  Very disappointing, the employer was GD Land Systems at their Australian facility where they built Delco Turrets and assembled ASLAVs. 

Several years later at another company I noticed a bit of ASLAV paraphernalia in a senior managers office, he was a good bloke and I got along very well with him so I asked him where he got it.  He was the hiring manager I didn't get to meet at GD, not only did we get along very well, it turns out the role I had applied for was more senior and better paid than I had realised and the bloke they had hired when the other candidate and I had dropped out had been sacked, after multiple warnings, for repeated OH&S violations.  So instead of styrene, I could have been building 1:1 out of steel.