Author Topic: Retro Rules  (Read 6529 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Retro Rules
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »
1. The first rule of group build is: Don't talk about group build

2. HAVE FUN!!!

3. Retrofutrurism Via Wiki :Retrofuturism (adjective retrofuturistic or retrofuture) is a trend in the creative arts showing the influence of depictions of the future produced in an earlier era. If "futurism is sometimes called a 'science' bent on anticipating what will come, retrofuturism is the remembering of that anticipation." Characterized by a blend of old-fashioned "retro" styles with futuristic technology, retrofuturism explores the themes of tension between past and future, and between the alienating and empowering effects of technology. Primarily reflected in artistic creations and modified technologies that realize the imagined artifacts of its parallel reality, retrofuturism can be seen as "an animating perspective on the world." But it has also manifested in the worlds of fashion, architecture, design, music, literature, film, and video games.

The word retrofuturism, combines more recent ideas of nostalgia and retro with older traditions of futurism. An early use of the term was in the title of T.R. Hinchcliffe's Pelican book Retro-futurism - Penguin, 1967. A recent neologism, the actual term retrofuturism was used by American Lloyd Dunn[3] in 1983,[4] according to fringe art magazine Retrofuturism, which was published between 1988 and 1993.

So its how people way back when, thought the future would be. (some more accurate than others!)

Important note, most of the "punk" genres are Retro future. (cyber, steam, atomic, etc) and are thus ok for this GB.

4. Any and all mediums are welcome -physical models, pixels/profiles and stories (and anything else you can think of) will each be warmly welcomed and given a soft cushion to recline upon.

5. Creativity and collaboration are encouraged.

6. Duration is 1 August to september 30, 2017.  An extension may be granted, but only a brief one and only if the Moderator feels like it and is greatly pleased by any and all bribes or tribute delivered prior to the original deadline.

7. Physical creations, pixels and stories will be judged separately and victors will be decided via polling of this most august assemblage.

8. Any questions are to be directed to the Moderator

9. I tend to be more "inclusive" and "open" with entries allowed in order to have more participation. If you don't know if you can participate please ask, odds are the answer is yes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:51:07 PM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: Retro Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
You forgot 'Diesel-Punk'.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »
Sounds good to me! I'll have to get my plastic plates out again!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
I understand that the retrofuture is the future that was imagined in the past, but for us how to participate as we are now and not in the past? We can post what we find concerning retrofuture (many ones did, as “inspiration”) but it seems I am the only one drawing or building something, in all this week.
I imagine these possibilities:
1- from a retrofuture article (like "airplane of the 1980s', printed in 1930), scratchbuilding it.
2- (unsure) I pretend I am in the past, inventing the future, with funny crazy ideas.
3- (unsure) I pretend, jokely, that I have discovered an old article depicting the future, contradicted by what happened.
Is that correct? will others join me? I hope so, I don’t want to win all alone…

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:00:39 AM »
I understand that the retrofuture is the future that was imagined in the past, but for us how to participate as we are now and not in the past? We can post what we find concerning retrofuture (many ones did, as “inspiration”) but it seems I am the only one drawing or building something, in all this week.
I imagine these possibilities:
1- from a retrofuture article (like "airplane of the 1980s', printed in 1930), scratchbuilding it.
2- (unsure) I pretend I am in the past, inventing the future, with funny crazy ideas.
3- (unsure) I pretend, jokely, that I have discovered an old article depicting the future, contradicted by what happened.
Is that correct? will others join me? I hope so, I don’t want to win all alone…

Those are all good ideas! Keep plugging away Tophe more people are on the way!

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
Thanks!
I happened to invent another case:
4- I pretend I am in the future (year 2300) discovering a very old article of 2017 explaining the discovery of a 1943 article about the future, I say nobody (in 2300) knows if that has turned true just after 1943 (while in 2017, in fact, everybody knows it is untrue, but “later” forgotten).
In France this is a caricature of journalist mistake called « the story of the man that saw the man that saw the bear  » (“l’histoire de l’homme qu’a vu l’homme qu’a vu l’ours”): very little credibility as very indirect testimony, but perfect for a “pretended serious” joke, like April 1st news.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
It seems there is no poll for the Pixel part of this GB :( , maybe because I am the only participant. In a single-party country, I would conclude: "I am the leader, I am the best!" while... here, I just hope we will be several in the next GB... ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
It seems there is no poll for the Pixel part of this GB :( , maybe because I am the only participant. In a single-party country, I would conclude: "I am the leader, I am the best!" while... here, I just hope we will be several in the next GB... ;)

Yeah I noticed that so I think you win!!  :smiley: :smiley:

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
Congratulations to Tophe!  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
Thanks, and so: let us focus on the material model poll. I would have like 3 votes like sometimes but as there are just 2 participants, I understand this was not possible this time. Well, the one I have not voted for will get plenty of votes from others than me, I hope...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »
Allow me to add my hearty congratulations, mon ami!

Your work never fails to get me thinking and is as inspiring as it is imaginative!

Well earned and thank you for always joining in the GB fun!

Brian da Basher

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
C'est merveilleux mon brave...  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
Thanks!
The poll for physical creations finishes today, we will have the surprise for the result. Welcome anyway.

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »

bravo for all your creations !

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 02:49:44 AM »
Eric R wins by a single vote!

-David Fincher

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 11:24:49 PM »
Somehow there are two winners: ericr (6>5) and BdB (5+5>6). Congratulations for both competitors. And the model not mentionned among winners was very nice too... :-*

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 03:51:59 AM »

thanks all !
and I am happy that BdB has even more votes in total ;-)

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
Congratulations ericr  :D