Author Topic: Grumman HU-16 (G64) and G111 Albatross  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Grumman HU-16 (G64) and G111 Albatross
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »
I have an Albatross on the bench at the moment, and have given it a pair of turbo prop engines from the turbo prop Lockheed/Kawasaki P-2 Neptune. The engines fit very well and don't look out of place. It would be good to see these in current service with modern upgrades. 
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:30 AM »
I have an Albatross on the bench at the moment, and have given it a pair of turbo prop engines from the turbo prop Lockheed/Kawasaki P-2 Neptune. The engines fit very well and don't look out of place. It would be good to see these in current service with modern upgrades.

I had been wondering myself about what kind of turbine engine nacelle would work on the Albatross.  Just watched "The Expendables" and was pondering the acquisition of the Trumpeter Albatross in 1:48th scale to see what could be done about a low-visibility paint job and improving the engines.  The R2600 came to mind as an easy fix since it was done in real life with the PB4Y Privateer and the PBY Catalina for the fire fighter/fire bomber mission.  The attraction of the gas turbine engines is just a natural progression from there.  A pair of C-130 nacelles from the AC-130A kit with the three-blade Curtiss propellers would certainly not look out of place on the Albatross.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Didn't Conroy fly a prototype with a pair of Dart engines?

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
I have painted mine in a low vis colour scheme, and also put some high vis orange stripes on it to go with the rescue mission it has.It will be operated by the Honduras navy, and will be an aircraft captured from the Cartel, and put back into use. I am also tempted to put some additional avionics on it and a FLIR pod as well as a big search light.
Chris.
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »

I think Jon posted some pics of that in another thread Evan, they look like nacelles right off an Andover (including the ugly round fairing bit under the engine)

Here's another:
http://www.airteamimages.com/grumman-hu-16-albatross_N16CA_-_132406.html

Coincidently, I just got some Dart props from Aeroclub a couple of months ago.  I had bought this set many years ago and needed some more, but it seems John Adams has enhanced the set, it has nacelle fronts now which weren't in the previous set I got.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:59:05 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:03:19 PM »
How about a kit bashing between the Grumman Albatross and the V-22 Osprey? 

Albatross fuselage sans wing mated to the entire wing assembly of the V-22 Osprey to create a tilt-rotor amphibian.  The wing mounted floats from the Albatross will need to be located on the Osprey wing somewhere near the engines I suspect.  Reality check about suitability for actual flight to be ignored. 

1:72nd scale Revell (former Monogram) SA-16 Albatross kit with the aforementioned parts from the HobbyCraft, Italeri, ESCI, or Hasegawa V-22 kits, depending on your ability to afford this project. 

1:144th scale now has a V-22 kit but I am not aware of any Albatross in this scale. 

1;48th scale Trumpeter Albatross and of course the Testors'/Italeri V-22 kit if you really want to spend some money.   

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 02:59:07 AM »

Yep:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 03:00:41 AM »
There is also they proposal for a PT6A powered variant:

https://www.amphibaircraft.com/#home-section

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
3 engine derivative of Grumman-21.

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
 ;D