Author Topic: Old Wombat's (possible) Builds  (Read 11310 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Old Wombat's (possible) Builds
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
Hi All! :smiley:

I hope to do something for this GB & have 2 x possible entries, if I get the time to do either.

Below are the obligatory Box Shots. Let's see if you can guess, given the clues in the photo's, what I intend doing.

#1:

#2:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Old Wombat's (possible) Builds
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »
Those are some mighty fine selections for Scale-O-Rama Mr Wombat and look absolutely ripe for "the treatment".

Will watch with much interest since both kits are whiffs right out of the box!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »
Yup, I'm whiffing the whifs! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:05 AM »
Yup, I'm whiffing the whifs! :-\

I wouldn't worry about it Guy, the Sci-Fi bunch whiff whiffers all the time ----

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:26:57 AM »
The Arado is such a fun model to build! The "F-19" in all its scales (1/144, 1/72, 1/48) was always underscale, so turning it into a drone should work.

You could always  turn the Arado into a one man, prone fighter in 1/35, with the F-19 as a stealthy cruise missile...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »
The F-19 never existed, so how can we know it's under scale or not.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:10:40 AM »
If you put an in-scale pilot next to it, it’s too small. The 1/48 version looks about the right size for a 1/72 aircraft.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:35:37 AM »
The 1/48 version looks about the right size for a 1/72 aircraft.

That much under scale   :-\  So does it become more the size of an 1/72 F-117 then ?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Thanks Frank --- the article says the kit is 1/72, but it doesn't look out of scale to me judging by the cockpit size or by the figures surrounding it. However, the F-117 doesn't look right either, for instance, the tail fins are not like that at all, I've got photos I've taken of the real thing to prove it to. I think what ever the F-117 kit is, it's out of scale.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 01:03:02 AM »
The problem with the F-117 is that the builder put the fins on wrong.  ;D

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/12329-lockheed-f-117a-nighthawk-hasegawa.html
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:28 AM »
The problem with the F-117 is that the builder put the fins on wrong.  ;D

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/12329-lockheed-f-117a-nighthawk-hasegawa.html

Yeah I see what you mean there. His problem was he used an aftermarket fin set, then put the fin base on the wrong sides of the fuselage. I was studying a photo I took of the F-117 that was at the Reno races back in '96 or '97 (pre digital so can't), it happens to be of the rear end as they had pulled it out of the hanger on the Sunday from where it had been all week under very strict armed security. It was supposed to have done a flying display but it was so windy that day it was cancelled. The F1 class had a real tough time trying to land after their race that a couple of them had very rough landings.

I looked at the 1/72 F-117 I've built, a Revell one. No problems getting that pair of fins on, they're moulded all in one piece. Even so, the fuselage still looks a little bulky at the rear end compared to my photo I'm looking at.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »
The RQ-19 Stealth Drone is moving forward at a fair pace. A lack of free time means I'm doing modelling stuff rather than photo stuff but, once the major work is done I may take some pic's before priming & painting it.

One thing I must say is the kit, although very simple, is terrible! Flash, off centre mouldings & pathetic parts fit. Oh, for an Eduard 1/144 kit of this! ::)

(Actually, an Eduard 1/48 kit would be even more fun! 8) ;))

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:04 AM »
Considering that it's a scaled-down version of Arii's modified rip of the Testors/Italeri F-19, fit problems do not surprise me.  Be interesting to see your take on the drone.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »
Pre-primer photo's of the RQ-19 (hopefully) tomorrow evening.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »
RQ-19A in its pre-primer glory ... Not! ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
You have no idea how much it delights me to see this one, Mr Wombat.

That kit's a phenomenal whiff right out of the box and it's gonna be fun to see where this goes!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 05:44:56 AM »
What's the translucent material you used as a filler? It looks to be around 3.5m long in 1/35.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
Thank you, gents! :smiley:

Frank, the transluscent stuff is Aves Apoxy Sculpt. Lovely stuff; non-toxic, water-based, water-proof when cured, can be smoothed with a damp finger or other tool (isopropyl alcohol also works), behaves a lot like plastic when cured, is best wet-sanded.

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
Looking good

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
Thanks, 'mog! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Undergoing PSR Round 2. ::)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
Thank you, gents! :smiley:

Frank, the transluscent stuff is Aves Apoxy Sculpt. Lovely stuff; non-toxic, water-based, water-proof when cured, can be smoothed with a damp finger or other tool (isopropyl alcohol also works), behaves a lot like plastic when cured, is best wet-sanded.

I use Aves too. Nice stuff to work with. It can be hard to find I ordered mine through the store on Starshipmodeler.com.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:58 AM »
OK, so after a few rounds of micro-scale PSR I'm happy with where I'm at with the RQ-19A;

So, all I have to do now is settle on a colour scheme & break out the airbrush ... ???

Of course, since my daughter moved back home, my garage is full of her house cr ... stuff & there's no room for my painting table in there. :o

I'll sort something out soon, I've got four builds stalled because of this mess in my garage. Something has to give! :icon_punal:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:54:26 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
Definitely a nice conversion from manned to unmanned/UAV. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg