Author Topic: Firefly F. Mk VI  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Firefly F. Mk VI
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:33:40 AM »
 Something I had been wanting to try since I saw an excellent photoshop on Hyperscale.

Here's the inspiration: Charles Knell's
 F. Mk V

I can't really add anything to Mr. Knell's excellent speculation. It probably would have been a better bet than the Firebrand, though I do wonder about the 'aircraft in the Seafire class' assertion...Even with the second seater
and equipment removed, the Firefly would have still been a bit heftier, methinks. The build is the venerable,
but quite nice Airfix kit that I picked up at a show for about five bucks three or four years back. I misplaced
the kit decals, so used a some from an old Heller Tempest V...I may go back and re-do the whole paint at
some point - I really didn't have anything suitable for the underwing roundels...so it doesn't have 'em. :-[

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Firefly F. Mk VI
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:41 AM »
Hmm! I like that --  :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:23:54 AM »
Very nice Firefly you have created out of that Airfix kit.  A single place Firefly is one of those things that I often wondered about why it was never pursued in real life. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »
Beautiful work, that really re-imagines the flight deck of a post war RN Light Fleet Carrier!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:05:00 AM by Volkodav »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »
Beautiful work Dr. Y.

I'm going to check the Canadian archives and see if the RCN flew this model of the Firefly.   ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
Absolutely wonderful, Doc! The paint looks great to me! You really have a nice take on the classic RN scheme.

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
I could've sworn I worked on one of these at the museum at Albatross back in the 1980's!! :D
Brilliant Whiff mate!! 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »
Very nice Firefly you have created out of that Airfix kit.  A single place Firefly is one of those things that I often wondered about why it was never pursued in real life.

His link indirectly supplied the answer - the Sea Fury removed the need.  The Firefly was quite a able dogfighter, accounting IIRC for several Japanese fighters over Borneo when the RN Pacific Fleet visited in early 1945 on their way to Australia and thence north to Japanese waters.   That was of course the twin-seater so one can only imagine an up-powered and lighter aircraft would have been quite manoeuvrable.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »
 Thanks for the kind words, friends - Its not the sort of build I do too often, but its just one of those whifs that just 'looks right'.