Author Topic: RCAF Golden Hawks F-86 Sabre  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
RCAF Golden Hawks F-86 Sabre
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:08:15 AM »
Hi All

Brought some kits and decals off a work colleague and was immediately drawn to this one because of the gold colour scheme and the impressive Golden Hawks markings which came courtesy of an old Sabre Decals sheet.

Started this one roughly about the time I started Tom's Spitfire, I had a choice of the Heller or the Matchbox Sabre and settled on the Matchbox offering as the Heller kit seemed to have too much wing sweep when compared with the layout drawings supplied with the decals. A shame as the Heller kit is a lot more detailed and also came with two types of droptanks.  I borrowed one pair from the Heller kit for this build.

The kit went together quite well only needing a bit of filler around the wing joints, did the classic "forgot the nose weight"  trick. Fortunately  I was able to roll some superglue covered weights down to the first bulkhead through the nose intake.

Paint and decals went on ok and I was only two parts away from finishing when I realised something was wrong, there was only a tiny bit of ground clearance under the drop tanks when sat on its undercarriage, I had fitted the wrong drop tanks! (Classic 50% chance of being right,   100% wrong  ::)  ). So back to the Heller kit for the other tanks. At the same time I fumbled the model and dropped it, landing on its undercarriage the nose wheel shot off and was swallowed by the rug monster  :o, back to the Heller kit for a nose wheel.

Finally I got it finished...............

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Thanks for looking ...........

Mog
>^-.-^<

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:35:28 PM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: RCAF Golden Hawks F-86 Sabre
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 07:53:21 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:12:14 AM »
Very nice Mog, I saw the real restored F-86 in that scheme when it first hit the show circuit a few years ago. It flew in formation with the Snowbirds.

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:58 AM »
Very nice. Saw them perform once, excellent team.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
Very nice. Saw them perform once, excellent team.

Likewise.   Same goes for me.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
Thanks guys

The pics I used for reference were stunning, would love to see this one up close and flying.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:24 PM »
Not long ago, I read somewhere that the restored Golden Hawk was for sale --- does anyone have further info on that ?

Offline Shamrock1569

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:06:43 AM »
The Sabre that was at Vintage Wings sold last year I believe. Don't remember where it went.

Great job on that model. Looks fantastic!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:23:24 AM »
That's a stunning Sabre!

This beauty would turn heads at any show worthy of the name.

Beautiful!

Brian da Basher