Author Topic: PZL RT-1 Iskra  (Read 3448 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
PZL RT-1 Iskra
« on: March 08, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
Okay, so this collection of plastic lumps I bagged last week will hopefully be turned into a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, the TR-1. This will happen after the fall of the Warsaw Pact, and the resulting removal of Russian control.

Wings will be lengthened, much swearing will be involved. Intakes will probably need to be enlarged, which will involve more swearing. (In the interests of friendship, I waive copyright on any new words that may be invented.) It will have a single seat, because the canopy is terrible.

The engines will be changed from the WSK SO-3. Looking around Wikipedia tells me that the GE J85 would be a good choice, being much lighter, much smaller, and with higher thrust, and with the ability to have an afterburner. Which may or may not be part of this concept.

Here's the comparative specs:

WSK SO-3

Length: 84.7 in
Diameter: 27.8 in width, 30.1 in height
Dry weight: 708 lb
Maximum thrust: 2,425 lbf take-off, 2,205 lbf continuous

General Electric J85

Length: 45.4–51.1 in without afterburner (depending on accessory equipment installed)
Diameter: 17.7 in
Dry weight: 396–421 lb  (depending on accessory equipment installed)
Maximum thrust: 2,850–3,100 lbf (dry)

Smaller size and lower weight will allow for the installation of more recce equipment, such as cameras, electronics, ECM, air sampling, etc. Name might be changed to reflect the new role. Research...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:03:38 AM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Rat

Re: PZL TR-1 Iskra
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
These pictures should come with a warning, so consider yourself warned. This is the maker's idea of a nose cone.

It's got Dumbo ears! Cute, but I seriously doubt they should be there. They have already been sanded off. Those other bits of plastic are supposed to be the nose gear doors. Yeah, count them gone. Depending on my ambition this may be done 'wheels up'.

And the wings are... basic, with overstated raised panel lines. These will also be sanded off.

How anyone ever expected this to be a kit for kids must be a sadist. It requires sharp knives, files, and possibly, to quote Arlo Guthrie, "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction", in order to just prep the pieces.

But I'm stuck with it. Because I'm a modeling masochist.

Quick sketch of the wing extension.

Scheme? Well, it won't be extremely high altitude, and would probably not operate directly over the combat arena, just on the periphery, so instead of some U-2 type black (or was it extremely dark blue? Let the fighting commence on that subject), maybe a sky blue all over.

Stay tuned.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
Waiting to see building and results of wing extension.   Like this sort of modification.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:05 AM »
This is an inspired idea and adds a little bit of U-2 flavor.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Rat

Re: PZL RT-1 Iskra
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 09:05:01 AM »
Preliminary work indicates that this will definitely NOT be a 'silk purse from a sow's ear'. I don't think one could even make a sow's ear from it.

Designation has also changed from TR to RT, to reflect the Polish translation of Tactical Reconnaissance to Rozpoznanie Taktyczne. According to Google Translate, so blame them if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:57:12 AM by The Rat »

Offline The Rat

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:21 AM »
The horizontal stabiliser from a CF-100 has given up its life, and has been hacked apart for the wing extensions.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Nice to see a piece of the puzzle just drop in to place for a change.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 08:45:31 PM »
Concur, Mr Fontaine.

Once the paint is on, that wingtip will look like it was always part of the original wing.

Well done, Rat-san!

Brian da Basher

Offline The Rat

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 03:00:44 AM »
Both wings now extended, test fitting shows a nice outline. Intakes are being enlarged to accommodate the increased gulping of the new engine.

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 04:06:42 AM »
Wooow , first and last serial production jet from my country...I fell pround and ... ashamed at the same time.
There is slight better Iskra in 1/72. You've chosen worst kit of TS-11 EVER!
I'd love to watch where you'll go with it :) Keep up the good work :)

One thing...Iskra was designed under direction of Tadeusz Soltyk, one of the best Polish engineers. Acronym of his name is designation of airplane - TS. Sooo...if it will be still a different version of Iskra it should be still under designation TS. But it's your choice and your model :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:13:43 AM by Artoor_K »
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline The Rat

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 06:41:30 AM »
Wooow , first and last serial production jet from my country...I fell pround and ... ashamed at the same time.
There is slight better Iskra in 1/72. You've chosen worst kit of TS-11 EVER!
I'd love to watch where you'll go with it :) Keep up the good work :)

One thing...Iskra was designed under direction of Tadeusz Soltyk, one of the best Polish engineers. Acronym of his name is designation of airplane - TS. Sooo...if it will be still a different version of Iskra it should be still under designation TS. But it's your choice and your model :D

I changed it from TR to RT, for Rozpoznanie Taktyczne, but I may change it again. Leaning toward a post cold war research aircraft, operated as a civilian aircraft under the aegis of the so it may still carry the markings of the Siły Powietrzne. I'll write some sort of back story to explain it, once I get drunk on some Wyborowa.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:28 AM »
I like that you're adding increased gulping.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Rat

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 05:18:51 AM »
Enlarged intakes are coming along. The parts that originally went under the wing are now on top, and a drop tank has been sacrificed to make the bottom. Wings are not actually glued on yet, but this gives an idea of the general look once they are. Still need to fair them in top and bottom. Puttying begins soon.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 05:22:46 AM »
One thing...Iskra was designed under direction of Tadeusz Soltyk, one of the best Polish engineers. Acronym of his name is designation of airplane - TS. Sooo...if it will be still a different version of Iskra it should be still under designation TS.

How about TS-11 Iskra-RT? I understand that 'Iskra' means 'spark', which would be an ideal name for an aircraft fitted with all sorts of electronic sensing gear. So I'll probably keep the name!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 05:27:16 AM »
Those intakes are looking good!

Like your ideas for the designation too.

Brian da Basher

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
One thing...Iskra was designed under direction of Tadeusz Soltyk, one of the best Polish engineers. Acronym of his name is designation of airplane - TS. Sooo...if it will be still a different version of Iskra it should be still under designation TS.

How about TS-11 Iskra-RT? I understand that 'Iskra' means 'spark', which would be an ideal name for an aircraft fitted with all sorts of electronic sensing gear. So I'll probably keep the name!

Well, if you want to model it as a version of Iskra then "TS" should stay. Number depends on you :) "Spark" is a must :D  Or...even more..."Allspark" :D

Every Tadeusz Soltyk project was under designation "TS" like TS-9 Junak, TS-8 Bies, TS-16 Grot, TS-15 Fregata, TS-17 Pelican...
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline The Rat

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 06:49:21 AM »
Drop tank from the Airfix Seahawk is getting its mounts trimmed and becomes two conformal tanks. Rear seat is being deleted, so I can mount it in the middle without altering the C of G.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:10 AM »
Smart move.  It works.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Major components now glued.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »
Conformal fuel tanks are a nice touch. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 02:37:15 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
The age-old U-2 fight; is it black, or very very very dark blue?