Author Topic: RAF Coastal Command Fairey Battle  (Read 8128 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: RAF Coastal Command Fairey Battle
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
 :smiley:

Someone should really release some conversion kits (maybe 3D printed) for the various Fairey Battle Engine Testbeds:

Wright Cyclone engine:

Napier Sabre:

RR Exe:

Fairey Monarch or Prince 4 (also see images above):

Bristol Taurus:

Bristol Hercules:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:59:22 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:25 AM »
:smiley: Someone should really release some conversion kits (maybe 3D printed) for the various Fairey Battle Engine Testbeds:

There certainly seems to have been a lot of them.

Which begs the question: which aircraft in history has had more test-bed derivatives that any other? Some manufacturers have used a single aircraft with which they often attached engines; Pratt and Whitney Canada used a Viscount and a B-720 for years, but those are in a different class. They were strictly used for testing new engines and their descendants. I'm talking about modifying an aircraft some way so as to find out how the whole thing behaved, from front to back, inside and out. Performance, handling, range, altitude, etc. I'll start a separate thread on this.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
This is getting more interesting. But for goodness sakes, with that engine please don't put floats on it  ;)

GTX's brief overview on the various test beds just highlights that even after withdrawal as a front line aircraft, the Battle provided excellent service. Over the years I have read with interest if there was a new engine.. stick in on a Battle to test it seemed to be the way it went.
Surprised they did not try the Whittle Turbine on it (That might get somebody thinking  ;) )

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »
This is getting more interesting. But for goodness sakes, with that engine please don't put floats on it  ;)

GTX's brief overview on the various test beds just highlights that even after withdrawal as a front line aircraft, the Battle provided excellent service. Over the years I have read with interest if there was a new engine.. stick in on a Battle to test it seemed to be the way it went.
Surprised they did not try the Whittle Turbine on it (That might get somebody thinking  ;) )
Perhaps test a Trent turboprop in it before sticking two of them in a Meteor?  Or some of the other early turboprops?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »

An article in Air-Britain's AeroMilitaria revealed they had something else in mind, an Avro Anson ----- someone doing research at Kew (UK National Archives) stumble across the file while looking for something else. There was a couple of drawings published with the article showing the engine was to be installed mid fuselage (in the cabin) with a nose air intake and a duct that snaked around the pilot's position to the front of the engine, and bifurcated exhaust. These were shown in two exit locations.

Offline The Rat

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »
Puttying and sanding done, lick of paint to show any flaws - looking okay.

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 05:18:47 AM »
Looking good, Rat!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
Developing very nicely, there.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Rat

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
Close to being together, soon the painting will begin. Haven't had a lot of success in that area lately, disasters abound. Oh well, press on.

You'll notice that the decal sheet also includes Belgian markings. So now I have to poke through the stash to see where they might come in handy. Maybe the 'Composante air' could have used a Bristol Type 170 post-war? I also have another Vickers Wellesley. Hmmm...

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
All of a sudden it looks like a Blackburn Skua on 'roids
Really interesting shape

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2020, 04:00:15 AM »
All of a sudden it looks like a Blackburn Skua on 'roids...

It does, doesn't it?  Very interested to see how this turns out  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:09 AM »
All of a sudden it looks like a Blackburn Skua on 'roids
Really interesting shape

It's got a dash of Vultee to it too.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Rat

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
One of the annoying things about this model is the bomb bays in the wings. If you assemble them open, with the supplied bombs, the bombs actually hang down so far that it would be plainly obvious to any observer that the doors would not be able to close. So I've made it with them closed, but the fit is terrible, the doors are too wonky to look smooth, and there are big gaps. Might rip them out and try making my own. Also might try reworking the bombs to make them fit.

Back story will have 12 Squadron moved to Coastal Command, that way I can just stick with the kit decals. It re-equipped with Battles in 1938, so the timeline for that doesn't need to change.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
@The Rat - why not make it without the bomb bay doors on your panniers?  Call it an expedient move during war time operations that it was necessary to remove the doors in order to accommodate larger stores.  Something that might have/could have been done in order to carry the larger ASW weapons needed to kill submarines with stronger hulls.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Rat

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »
@The Rat - why not make it without the bomb bay doors

STOP DESTROYING MY MASOCHISM!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
coming along nicely. 

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
Ahhh, the somewhat "agricultural" fit of some of the earlier kit offerings !

Like Jeff said, the option of semi recessed housings would work, it worked for the Skua.
Depth Charges were somewhat beefier than bombs in some cases. This would allow for a Bigger weapon. We all know that bigger is better  ;)

Offline The Rat

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 05:47:13 AM »
Removed the masking. Touched up the fuselage areas where there was a little bit of bleed under the tape, now I'll have to spend about a year or so scraping the edges of all those windows and touching up them.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Couldn't find the instruction sheet, so I did the camo pattern just any old way. And of course, after it was done I found the instructions.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Not repainting.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »
Inspired so far Mr. Rat  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
Sharp looking Coastal Command scheme Rat san!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:27 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.