Author Topic: Kits on Shapeways  (Read 62222 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Kits on Shapeways
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 03:31:46 AM »
Thanks Jeff - will be ordering 6 of these for my Atomic Ontos idea...
Greg, if you are going to get six of these things, I suggest contacting Nick directly to see about having him create an option to purchase six in one purchase to reduce your overall costs.  This makes a huge difference as it reduces the fee charged by ShapeWays to just one time instead of six times (one for each item ordered).  I asked Nick to do this for the SADM 6-Pack and he was kind enough to oblige so instead of paying over $100.00 for six SADM shapes in 1:35th scale I was able to shave about 40% off the price which made a big difference. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
Thanks mate - will do.  Do you have his direct contact details?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
Thanks mate - will do.  Do you have his direct contact details?

I use the PM function though ShapeWays to correspond with Nick.  Do not have an actual eMail address for him.  Sorry.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ranchoth

• Has made a career out of building nuclear bombs
    • Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
I hope I'm merely fashionably late, but...howdy! I'm the odd fellow behind Ranchoth's Arsenal. Mr. Fontaine (a longtime and valued patron!) actually tipped me onto these boards awhile back, but I haven't managed to find time to make a formal "hello" until now. (Boolean Operations are a real time sink.)

As you might have seen, I specialize in modelling odd or obscure items, and I'm always up for suggestions or requests, and working with people to make rescales or more cost-effective model packs for their needs.

I've sold a couple of Davy Crocketts since the posts above—including one to GTX_Admin, I believe—but I've got a number of other items up at the Arsenal, including some new ones, and a brand new line of aircraft weapons I have high hopes for. Such as:

1/48 scale WE.177 nuclear gravity bombs! Available in both "A" and "B"/"C" models, in two- and four-packs.

Atomic test houses...built from actual blueprints!

"Die Glocke," the mythical German superweapon/time machine/antigravity engine! Spruce up the interior of your captured UFO or Haunebu saucer today! Available in both "realistic" (based off of alleged technical diagrams) and "Hollywood" versions.

Musical instruments! Current offerings include acoustic and electric guitars, or a Balalaika.

The Lockheed Compact Fusion Reactor!

Currently under development in real life by the Skunk Works, this model, based off of available technical information, graphics, and photographs, represents the company's projected 100 MW prototype, which would be about five meters long, and weigh under 100 tons. But Lockheed's plans claim the device's design can be scaled up or down to quite a degree, according to needs, so swapping out different print scales for this item may allow modellers to readily do much the same.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 05:10:28 PM »
Hi Nick

Glad to see you have introduced yourself to the forums in a most spectacular fashion. 

I was quite pleased to discover your WE.177 shapes were available at Shapeways a few days ago and was glad to also see you offering the WE.177 in a four-pack.  The more the merrier.  Will you also be creating a Red Beard any time soon?  Another one that I hope you will create is the Grand Slam ALBM. 

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »

Glad to be here. :)

And yes, a Red Beard is definitely on the horizon, probably in a couple of weeks after I tend to a video project of mine.

The Grand Slam sounds intriguing, and certainly doable. Heck, I could even produce a 1/48 Skybolt, if there's a demand for it. :D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
Heck, I'd be interested in some 1/72 Skybolts for alternate usages.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Both Red Beard and Skybolt have already been done by traditional resin manufacturers.   I'd be interested in a Blue Streak in 1/72.   It could be further developed into a Europa II European Orbital launcher.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
Heck, I'd be interested in some 1/72 Skybolts for alternate usages.

Evan, Aircraft in Miniature does 1/72 Skybolt conversion set, as does Silver Cloud (line of Freightdog Models)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »
Maybe a P-270 Moskit in 1/72 and 1/48 especially given the new Su34 kits becoming available.

Another would be the AGM-129 ACM again both in 1/72 and 1/48.  In fact, there may be useful info here that you could use to do this one.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
If you want to do something different, TSSAM (AGM-137A) in 1/72 and 1/48 would be nice.  It never made it to production due to mismanagement, not technical problems per se (I was there, I know quite well what happened).  Of course, for real confusion, you could do a 1/35 BGM-137B with boosters et al. as it would be in, or on exiting, the launch pod.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2017, 04:07:57 AM »
At the risk of overloading you with ideas, another that would be cool would be 1/48 versions of the AGM-124 or more specifically, the pods planned to carry it:

I'm not sure of the pod dimensions though - anyone?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
I'll second the motion for the AGM-124, AGM-129, and AGM-137 (TSSAM) - I could see some of these on so many of my projects: A-12, B-1, B-2, SR-75, F-35B, FB-15M...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »
I should add that I'll be glad to help in modeling stowed TSSAM for carriage purposes as opposed to the "in-flight" configuration depicted on the available 3-view.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:15 AM »
I'd be interested in a Blue Streak in 1/72.   It could be further developed into a Europa II European Orbital launcher.

I've been looking for some drawings so I could do a Blue Streak too ---  ;)  But for the Spot on Designs A.W. Pyramid kit to be mounted on the top of it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »
I'd be interested in a Blue Streak in 1/72.   It could be further developed into a Europa II European Orbital launcher.

I've been looking for some drawings so I could do a Blue Streak too ---  ;)  But for the Spot on Designs A.W. Pyramid kit to be mounted on the top of it.

I have plans for mine.  I need at least three...   ;)

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
I actually had a little spare time, so for an update...

The AGM-129 ACM, in 1/72.

That's the three-pack, above. Six and twelve-packs also available. 1/48 will be ready soon.

That AGM-137 looks like it'll be one of my next projects—and I'd be very grateful for the advisement on the weapon's stowed configuration, elmayerle.

***edit to fix link to the 12-pack of AGM-129 with a link that shows the product page. -- jjf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:02:05 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
Woohoo!!

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
Nick,

The link to the 12-pack of AGM-129 shapes was not working.  Fixed it so it works now.  Liking the idea of having some of these in 1:48th scale.  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:02:43 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
Aaaand...it was put up just in time, by several hours, for Shapeways to update their pricing structure in that material, playing havoc with the prices I'd projected, making it more expensive.

(Although the change DID actually knock down the prices of most of my items in the "Frosted Detail" material, which is most welcome, so...that's getting passed down to potential customers, I'm happy to say, if anyone's biting.)

A good several hours of methodically tinkering with the models didn't produce a quick and convenient solution to the problem—so, I took the time to rework the AGM-129s into a version suitable for printing in a much more inexpensive material. It's a slightly lower resolution, although with a missile body as slick as this, and at this size, it's probably not that noticeable. But the control surfaces had to be made slightly thicker in order to print correctly...but, after more than a little agonizing, I realized that this comes to about .5 mm difference in the finished product.

Still not completely ideal—especially for a fastidious old flight sim hand like me—but, I hope, this will be an acceptable compromise when it comes to outfitting a BUFF with three megatons worth of thermonuclear punch. And at an even more budget-friendly price than before! :)

The more accurate (again, by ~.5 mm) versions are still available, of course, if anyone's completely committed to slightly closer fidelity.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »
I just received my set of 6 of Nick's Davey Crockett - very nice quality. :)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »
Nick,

If you wanted another project, you might try to do a 1/48 version of the F-35B/C gunned (see below).  This could also be used as the Terma multimission pod (also shown).  Neither of these are currently available with any of the 1/48 kits available:

Offline Ranchoth

• Ranchoth's Arsenal
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
And to make a productive evening, for once...the AGM-129 packs are now available in 1/48 scale.

On a couple of other points...

-Lots of good suggestions above, for which I'm most grateful. I'm mulling over a couple already...

-That AGM-124 pod is certainly very do-able, even with the existing information here (and from what I've been able to glean elsewhere), although I'd have to extrapolate a tad on the rear of the pod.

-By any chance, would there be any interest in non US/UK nuclear gravity bombs? I've made kind of a career out of building them for my flight sim endeavors, and even managed to scrounge up enough data to model some non-western examples—if anyone's got an Atlas Cheetah or a PLAAF/NK/PAF Fantan model they want to give a snappy new warload as a conversation piece.

Heck, I'd make a Project X-Ray "Bat Bomb" if anyone wanted one. ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:49:23 PM by Ranchoth »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »
would there be any interest in non US/UK nuclear gravity bombs?

What are we looking at here?

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:49 AM »
would there be any interest in non US/UK nuclear gravity bombs?

Aircraft delivered mines such as the Mk 60 CAPTOR ASW Mine (was available from Meteor Productions but now OOP/OOB), Mk65 Quick Strike, Mk 36 Destructor, BLU-14/BLU-31 mines, also any of the earlier mines from WW2, Korea, and the Cold War era for NATO, UK, and US would be attractive.  There is one person at Shapeways selling some of these shapes and I use that term politely as they are more toy-like than an actual scale replica of the subject.     

M118 3000 pound GP Bomb.  Only one ever available was from Cobra Company in resin and it was horribly expensive as it was two bombs and the 600 gallon center-line fuel tank for the F-105 Thunderchief.  The bombs were/are the prize in that old set as they were carried by several other aircraft.  HOBOS GBU Electro-Optical Guided and Pave Way GBU Laser Guided versions of the M118 wouild also be nice to see. 

12,000 pound Tall Boy and if possible the 6000 pound version (believe this was just a proposal) would be excellent in 1:48th and 1:72nd scale.  Some one at Shapeways offers the Tall Boy and Grand Slam in 1:144th scale but they appear to have no interest in scaling their model up. 

Commando Vault BLU-82 15,000 HC Bomb weapon with skids and parachutes.  Needed for the MC-130 in 1:72nd scale.  Would also be nice to see it in 1:48th scale. 

Operation Carolina Moon focused charge floating bomb/mine/weapon carried by C-130 Hercules cargo aircraft to attack the Thanh Hóa railroad bridge in North Vietnam during the war in SEA.  Link to Global Security page on Operation Carolina Moon - TAWC OPLAN 155, Project 1559

Tiny Tim 11.75 (298mm) Air Craft Rocket.  The Squadron True Details Tiny Tim shapes are rather disappointing in the details plus the fins are usually broken inside of the package before you have a chance to open it.  Also the rocket motor exhaust part is very fragile as it is a separate piece that has to be removed from a pour plug and it too is usually broken and loose inside of the package.  Similar rocket weapon from the UK might also be considered.  Do not recall the project name for it but it was quite similar to the Tiny Tim.