Poll

who wants more profiles of civil subjects ??

No thanks
18 (31%)
YES !!!
40 (69%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Raafif's profiles  (Read 182597 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Raafif's profiles
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Belated congratulations! :-* :-* :-*

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
Dear Raafif, your art is once again celebrated on my site http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Asymm_addition.htm
Can you help me in enriching the text? Was this GA1546 a British project of 1955 by General Aircraft, or else?

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
apophenia -- that looks good enough to work some of my silliness on it :-\

Love it! I do wonder though whether a mere three airscrews would be adequate to the task. That engine cries out for four props!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online apophenia

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
The more I looked at the bent-nosed Corsair, the more it cried out for a forward cockpit. Then I thought, why not train more pilots at once. And if more trainee pilots are a good thing, then it only stands to reason that more wings are ...  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
Wonderful family... Vought designers were shy and fearful compared to both of you...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »
thanks to you guys, I'm now considering an upside-down cockpit underneath to train pilots in inverted dogfighting !! :-X :-\ :-X ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
thanks to you guys, I'm now considering an upside-down cockpit underneath to train pilots in inverted dogfighting !! :-X :-\ :-X ;D

Congrats on another breakthrough concept here at BTS......

Online apophenia

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
Excellent concept! If the cockpits were placed on either side of a twin-boomer, dogfight training could be accomplished with a single aircraft  ;)

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
my next plastic aircraft project ...

The 300th Rainbow bomber was rolled of the assembly-lines on July 2nd 1944 & was then shifted into the paint-shop where it received a special "4th July" scheme, becoming the Star-Spangled Rainbow.

the RAAF also received a few ...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
F-103B - yes, build it, like to see that one in plastic.  V-tail maybe.
Rainbow bombers, fits right in to post war thru mid 50s.  SAC markings.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »
Pleasant profiles :-*

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
Love the F-103, but Navy? Underpowered, underwinged and with poor visibility, the Stilhetto would not have gotten along well with carrier ops (I think).  Also, In a service version, I would be inclined to increase the size of the vertical tail (at least for aesthetics). 

Love the Rainbows, but either the date or the US national marking is "wrong" - of course, it is WHIF, so maybe not!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
Isn't that far from this though:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »
Wow - that's a new one on me!  And AMAZING!  I sit corrected - go right ahead with that Navy theme!

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »
I've always liked the Stiletto & have that book (along with a few other Zichek ones too, all excellent refs).

Bought 2 of the old Revell 72nd kits at $38 each !! so one may get the "straight" build while the other will get the Sonicfighter treatment - seriously considering a V-tail for it :P  The Revell kit is quite crude -- appalling joint for the nose, no engine buckets, molded-on markings etc, however apart fron lots'a PSR, will do a nice whif.

The old Lindberg "48"th kit is crude too but accurate - if I ever get the chance to grab one someone will produce a much better kit :icon_nif:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:58 AM »
The old Lindberg "48"th kit is crude too but accurate - if I ever get the chance to grab one someone will produce a much better kit :icon_nif:

Want to put that to the test?  I have one you can have if you want.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:22 AM »
OK Greg, send it down :)

Just to speed the new-tool kit along for you, I'll order resin cockpit, wheels & engine buckets for it now.  That way, by the time I've spent a gazillion $$$ & much elbow-grease PSRing it up to par, whatever company does do the new kit, it will have everything in the box and at a cheaper price too ...... as usual :icon_nif:

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
At the end of W.W.1, Mr Sopwith (along with French & some German designers) was still enamoured with tri-planes.  In early 1920 he designed a Troop / VIP transport aircraft for the Army - it also having three main wings.

This aircraft soldiered on till 1930 when better engines meant the same aircraft could fly well with just two main-planes so the Land-Tripe was reconfigured as a bi-plane, losing the lower wings.  Only a few were converted, as at this point, Supermarine Aircraft became involved, seeing the possibilities of sealing the all-metal fuselage & making it a flyingboat -- the rest of that story is well known.

Post-war there was a need for civil transport & land-planes were again in demand -- De Havilland was doing well with their Foxmoth cabin-biplane, an enlarged TigerMoth.  Now just as reluctant to drop the bi-plane as he was the tri-plane, the retired Sopwith insisted his chief designer continue with a tried & true concept -- the original Land-Tripe but with two main-planes.  This time the lower two of the original wings were kept with solid interplane struts doing away with most of the drag-inducing rigging-wires & sporting flashy spats on the fixed undercarriage.  It was renamed the "Pegasus".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:15:57 AM by raafif »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
I've always liked the Stiletto & have that book (along with a few other Zichek ones too, all excellent refs).

Bought 2 of the old Revell 72nd kits at $38 each !! so one may get the "straight" build while the other will get the Sonicfighter treatment - seriously considering a V-tail for it :P  The Revell kit is quite crude -- appalling joint for the nose, no engine buckets, molded-on markings etc, however apart fron lots'a PSR, will do a nice whif.

Consider bashing F-5 wings onto it or a F-5 root transitioning to a smaller scale F-18 outer wing.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
 :)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »

I have to so build this. !!!!!!

The Wings are a from a P-47? Did you scale them down or shorten them? Drops tanks from the P-80?

And the pilot lands how?  >:D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:13:59 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »
Best looking parasite fighter I've ever seen!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »
I have to so build this. !!!!!!

The Wings are a from a P-47? Did you scale them down or shorten them? Drops tanks from the P-80?

And the pilot lands how?  >:D

Wings & tanks too are P-47 ...... scaled to fit, you'll have to experiment to see what plastic fits together .... it's so much easier to be pixelated than plasticated, eh ? :D

I usualy scan drawings or nick borrow them off the Russian / French 3-vue sites then scale to fit whatever I have in mind.  There are sometimes several versions shown so I choose whatever one suits my use best - some are highly accurate & to pure scale but messy, others are very basic but clean B/W drawings.

Ahh, how does he land ?? .... he doesn't !!
He hooks back up to the "ZF Surcouf"  (Zeppelin Francais "Surcouf") ;)