Author Topic: My coronavirus shutdown modeling progress  (Read 3822 times)

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
My coronavirus shutdown modeling progress
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:57:58 PM »
I thought I'd show my modeling progress for the duration of this stay at home time.

I think I may have mentioned that right now, I'm working with a limited set of tools, supplies, and kits. we sold our house in Feb. Our plan was to spend the time traveling in our RV. But that has been curtailed and we are "temporarily" staying in my sister's spare bedroom. Most of my hobby stuff is in a storage locker (and much of it in the way back and inaccessible). I have my carry around tool box and access to a few kits and very limited paints and supplies. So most of my scratch building and conversions are on the back shelf. Mostly out of the box kit building.

Of course, that the way things work when you suddenly have lots of enforced time at home with little other demands on your time.

This will be a mix of various subject, some WHIF and some real world.

Offline ed s

Re: My coronavirus shutdown modeling progress
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 01:44:06 AM »
This was my first completion of the shutdown. I did this the beginning of March. It was built for our 48hr Challenge. It is the old (as in original bagged) 1/72 Airfix Westland Whirlwing. Built out of the box but in color and marking of a USAAC unit it North Africa.

Offline ed s

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 01:54:22 AM »
Next up is the new mold 1/72 Airfix Curtis Hawk 81-A-2 P-40B. This was built out of the box and real world markings. I had actually started it a while ago, but like a number of projects, it was put aside while I packed my hobby room and sent everything to storage. I thought this would be a good time to finish it.

This was hand brushed using craft acrylic paints mixed to match the appropriate FS585 color chips. Did I mention that due to limited space, I am using 6 colors of paint and mixing everything to match the correct colors. I have black, white, red, blue, yellow and dark brown. Light weathering was done with artist oils and pastel chalks.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:38:42 AM »
The P-40 looks great! Nice weathering job.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:06:09 AM »
@Ed S - Very nice paint job on that tiny P-40.  Also good to hear/know that even with your selection of basic colors that you can make it look so good without all of those fancy paint brands.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ed s

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:17:53 AM »
thanks Frank3K and Jeffrey.

My latest completion is two vehicles. This is a 1:144 Panzer Korps kit of the Challenger and the Warrior. A friend had it 2nd hand and thought I needed something smaller than my usual 1/72 scale to play with. It was mostly assembled, but a few parts were missing. I had to scratchbuild the 30mm barrel on the Warrior, make a new smoke launcher for the Challenger and scratchbuild a new fuel drum for the back of the CHallenger. It was then brush painted with acrylics and weathered with artist oil paints.

The fuel drum in work.

The fuel drum on the tank.

And some shots of the finished models. The giant quarter is for scale.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:01 AM »
Wow!  So tiny but so detailed.  You have a knack for taking on the tiny and winning.  I know that with my own limitations and fumble fingers/thumbs that I can not work with things so small with any success. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ed s

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »
Well, that's all I have finished at the moment.  I do have a couple pieces in work.

First is an old (another original bagged) Airfix CAC-13 Boomerang. I started this one a few months ago and have gotten back to it this week. This is a real world CAC-19 in foliage green. Am working on decals and marking at this time. A quick note. I know it seems I am over doing the "old" kits. I purchased a box of old Airfix, Matchbox, Frog and other kits a couple years ago for way below market value and they make quick, easy, and fun builds.

I'm also working on a Panzer Iii aus N. Another old kit, this time ESCI in 1/72.  I'm adding some details and doing some battle damage.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »
Looking forward to your finished Airfix Boomerang. That kit is a real blast from the past  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ed s

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 02:24:20 AM »
Finished the Boomerang. I made it the colors and markings of a late war CAC-19 in the New Guinea area, decals from an old ESCI sheet. It was overall foliage green. Painted with acrylics and weathered with oils. I weathered it to look like it had been sitting in the the tropical sun and rain for a while. Not bad, but faded a little, and still clean and kept up. Not a bad little kit. Fine was good. It did require a little putty on the belly where the fuselage halves and the wing center section come together. Of course the only interior details with a terrible seat and one of the old pilots who looks like he's sitting at attention.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:58 AM »
Nicely done!  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:48 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 04:12:59 AM »
Well, we didn't have to wait long for the finish! Excellent job on a venerable old kit  :smiley:

... Of course the only interior details with a terrible seat and one of the old pilots who looks like he's sitting at attention.

Probably "sitting at attention" because the seat is so terrible!  :o
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 06:39:45 AM »
Whipping out some nice stuff.

The venerable Airfix Boomerang still stands up over all these years

Offline ed s

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 03:46:17 AM »
today's update. I put a coat of panzer yellow on the Panzer III. Next step is to do the brown and green camo.

Also working on a Hobby Boss 1/72 A-7 Greek Tiger Stripes. I put the decals on. Considering the size of the decals for the fuselage and the wings, they went on really well, no breakage or folds. The fuselage decals are full length from nose to tail on each side. There were a few fit issues on the 3D curves and over some small protuberances. I now have to do some touchup on the yellow-orange and the black.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:52:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
Some people doing lovely versions of my favourite jet! Loving the work on the SLUF, Ed! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."