Author Topic: Avro CF-105 Arrow  (Read 39236 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Avro CF-105 Arrow
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
I've always thought it was a pretty aircraft, but gone is gone. Thank goodness for injection molding technology.

To come back to whiffery, is the structure of the Arrow such that the weapons pack/bay could be configured to launch rockets
after the fashion of VLS cells? Something along the lines of a large diameter stumpy missile for, say, shooting at the stray flying Saucer or Soviet satellite?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:38 AM »
I've always thought it was a pretty aircraft, but gone is gone. Thank goodness for injection molding technology.

To come back to whiffery, is the structure of the Arrow such that the weapons pack/bay could be configured to launch rockets
after the fashion of VLS cells? Something along the lines of a large diameter stumpy missile for, say, shooting at the stray flying Saucer or Soviet satellite?

Nope, the pack was really pretty shallow.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2015, 03:49:04 AM »
Some profiles by one of our members to wet your appetites:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »

Nope, the pack was really pretty shallow.

One can see it here:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:21 AM »
One especially for Bill...though he may not see the aircraft in the picture:

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2015, 06:50:02 AM »
Those were the days....................
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 03:11:48 AM »
...... (and Avro-Canada had some concepts for ballistic missile interception, too)......

Outside of Mutually-Assureded Destruction already being a deterent, what was the challenge that prevented the concept of ABM-armed manned interceptors from happening, particularly for countries that did not possess any credible strategic nuclear capability of their own??
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
...... (and Avro-Canada had some concepts for ballistic missile interception, too)......

Outside of Mutually-Assureded Destruction already being a deterent, what was the challenge that prevented the concept of ABM-armed manned interceptors from happening, particularly for countries that did not possess any credible strategic nuclear capability of their own??

Apart from the technical difficulties of designing a long-range, high accelleration, missile which was guided by a long-range radar system?  Cost.   The US spent approximately several tens of billion dollars on it's Safeguard System to turn it off after a couple of months.  It took over 20 years to develop as well.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 12:50:52 AM »
Avro Canada CF-XX Super Arrow concept

Source: Facebook The Greatest Planes That Never Were
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
^ Obviously based off the one Clint Eastwood stole from Russia!

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
now thats LOVELY!
i saw a comment on youtube where somebody claimed the arrow would still be the best fighter around today,
i asked him what it would be the best at? and gave him a list of speed alt range maneuverability etc etc, so far he hasnt replied lol

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »

Those were the days....................

That photo is likely from the rollout of the Canadian Air and Space Museum's replica in October 2008...note the modern car visible under its belly!  ;)

I have an old-tool Hobbycraft 1/72 Arrow in the stash but I've no idea what to do with it, but this thread is a great font of knowledge!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2016, 05:27:41 AM »

Source: Artist Peter Robichaud

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »
I've bought a model of Arrow in 1/48. Also, I've got 1/48 Airfix TSR2. I'm going to make a dio with them. Camo for TSR2 is chosen-green/gray top, light grey bottom. The problem is- how to paint Arrow? Production plane wouldn't be white with orange accents? Or would it?
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »
That is a very good question Artur.

I don't think it would be white. It also depends oh which "Mark" you will build it as.  Which Air Force?

If it is an early RCAF model (early 1960s to 1970s) it could be bare metal or Silver Lacquer). It could be also be Air Defence Grey like the 2nd batch of CF-101s in the late 1970's and 80s. Of if it is later, use the CF-18 colours.

I have 10's of profiles and they come in many different schemes. If you want copies of all my profiles, send me a PM with your personal email address and I'll give them to you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:57:17 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
I've bought a model of Arrow in 1/48. Also, I've got 1/48 Airfix TSR2. I'm going to make a dio with them. Camo for TSR2 is chosen-green/gray top, light grey bottom. The problem is- how to paint Arrow? Production plane wouldn't be white with orange accents? Or would it?

Like this maybe

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Very nice Robert. Whose markings will it receive?

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
That is a very good question Artur.

I don't think it would be white. It also depends oh which "Mark" you will build it as.  Which Air Force?

If it is an early RCAF model (early 1960s to 1970s) it could be bare metal or Silver Lacquer). It could be also be Air Defence Grey like the 2nd batch of CF-101s in the late 1970's and 80s. Of if it is later, use the CF-18 colours.

I have 10's of profiles and they come in many different schemes. If you want copies of all my profiles, send me a PM with your personal email address and I'll give them to you.

I'll stick with RCAF😊 Which mark? Well, I plan to show it with TSR like on static display on airshow. It could be 1980 more or less. Thanks a lot for your help. Pm will be sent in a few minutes😃
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
Very nice Robert. Whose markings will it receive?

I used some different exhaust nozzles to make it into a Mk.2, so it'll be something in that serial range with appropriate sqn markings

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2017, 01:45:46 AM »
I'll stick with RCAF😊 Which mark? Well, I plan to show it with TSR like on static display on airshow. It could be 1980 more or less.

Based on this info, you would probably look at CF-101 style schemes for the Arrow (given the CF-105 would have served in its place) and either CF-104 or CF-116 style schemes for the TSR.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Alvis 3.1's "How to update the Arrow to be equivalent to F-35"
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »
Now with animation.  ;D

Step 1 - reduce to approximately the same size as the F-35.

Make mods as necessary to introduce reduced RCS, etc.

Yer welcome.  ;D :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »

Apart from the technical difficulties of designing a long-range, high accelleration, missile which was guided by a long-range radar system?  Cost.   The US spent approximately several tens of billion dollars on it's Safeguard System to turn it off after a couple of months.  It took over 20 years to develop as well.
One of the key issues would be weight of the missile. Assume for a minute you could actually create and package the tracking and homing systems into a missile terminal stage that could do the job if it got close enough (and actually creating such a system is where all ABM missiles actually attempted fell down), you then need to get that terminal stage to the ICBM. Which, over Canada, is at the apex of its high, looping, ballistic trajectory from the USSR to the US. Canada is absolutely the worst place to launch an ABM as to achieve the altitude to get to the ICBM, you have to push it uphill the furthest, so the booster would be the biggest.

The Sprint ABM was to be launched to hit the ICBMs in the terminal mode, just before impact with a range of 25 miles. They weighed 7500 lb each.

THAAD is, of course, newer and uses much better technology than would be available to an early-60s ABM Arrow. Each missile has a range of 125 miles and weighs 1980 lb. And is still designed to hit incoming missiles within the upper atmosphere.

ICBMs generally top out at a 1200 mile max altitude.

An effective ABM for mid course intercept would need to be essentially another ICBM in size to get to the altitude.

An Arrow could never hoist an effective air launched ABM even if one existed at the time. And neither could any other aircraft of 1955-65.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Random idea which may already have been covered:  operational CF-105 carrying AIR-2 Genie

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2017, 04:23:33 AM »
Random idea which may already have been covered:  operational CF-105 carrying AIR-2 Genie

No need to say it twice. It will be done.  At least 4.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:03:40 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:15 AM »

Or a later model with the AIM-68:
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-68.html