Author Topic: Morris-Ford Quad Commercial  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Morris-Ford Quad Commercial
« on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:52 AM »
I bought the Tamiya 1/35 Quad Gun Tractor from an online friend, back in the 1990s. I started it around 1995, but put it away after I screwed up part of the body shell. It's been bouncing around in my closet since.
A few weeks ago, we watched the Rifftrax take on the otherwise unbearably bad 1966 "Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D". I liked the Daleks' saucer and the 1959 Morris JB commercial van (also seen at around 15 seconds of the Rifftrax promo).

Hey! I could use the otherwise good chassis and interior bits of the Quad and a 3D printed body to make a heavy duty commercial vehicle!

I found some drawings (with dimensions) of the Morris JB and it's a considerably smaller vehicle than the Quad. Knowing the limitations of FDM 3D printing, I knew I wasn't going to be able to successfully replicate the curves of the original truck. After several tries (especially of the front) I came up with a design that I could print successfully and would fit on the Quad... so inspired by the Morris JB, the Quad Commercial:

That's not a cloth top; it's the printing artifacts caused by a slightly arched roof. Luckily it's all ABS:

I'm tempted to re-do everything but the front and roof out of sheet styrene:

The front of the Morris JB narrows; I decided to provide more interior room, so the headlights are in the body. The original grill was a huge printing failure. This is a good enough replacement:

I may be able to squeeze the original radiator and part of the hood in place of the grill, but it may look even worse.

Plenty of storage room and a nice winch and tow hook:

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: Morris-Ford Quad Commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:58:04 AM »
This is a pretty cool idea, I’m looking forward to the finished product!

Hopefully it won’t take as long between the start and now to get it finished...
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:46 AM »
Yes is cool idea and impressive job of printing.  8)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
Definitely makes a very different looking Quad with that van body. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »
Neat idea but I think a Mirror Models C8 Quad Mk.III No. 5 would be a better starting point.

Link which shows what you get in the box: https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-mirror-models-mm35400-1:35-british-morris-c8-quad-mk-iii-no-5
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
The 3d printed piece looks great!

And lots of room to detail the interior :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:44:09 AM »
Thanks guys! I have a small vacuform machine that I can use to try and make a copy of the front and the roof. That will save time with the acetone bath. It is pretty roomy inside!

Guy - I already had this kit and wanted to use it; plus I like the forward cab placement of the Morris.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
Fair enough, work with what you've got. :smiley:

I have the MM kit but I'm building it stock, because I like the look of this version, with a Whif paint job & markings.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
Looking good, Frank!

I wonder how much beer it'll fit...

:icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer:

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 12:10:09 PM »
Looking good, Frank!

I have a Miniart truck that comes with crates of beer; 120 beer bottles in total. If you pack everything behind the driver with beer crates... we're looking at around 2000 bottles of beer, maybe more. That would be some party!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
Very interesting thread Frank.

Where and when we meet for the beer party?

;D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 05:09:32 AM »
Looking good, Frank!

I have a Miniart truck that comes with crates of beer; 120 beer bottles in total. If you pack everything behind the driver with beer crates... we're looking at around 2000 bottles of beer, maybe more. That would be some party!

Very interesting thread Frank.

Where and when we meet for the beer party?

;D

I'll bring the church key and red-hots!

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 05:43:41 AM »
Looking good