Author Topic: Lauhof's profiles  (Read 288337 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Lauhof's profiles
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
I love the F3F, most of all :-*

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #626 on: November 17, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Thank you Tophe!

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #627 on: December 09, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
Koolhoven, a Dutch Aircraft manufacturer, learned his skills at Deperdussin and Armstrong-Whirtworth. He was actually the first Dutch designer, although Fokker got the credits. Koolhoven couldn't cope with success Fokker had during WWI and later on as a civil aircraft designer. Koolhoven developed in 1936 the scout-twoseater F.K.52 and sold several to the Dutch Airforce (Lva) but Finland was the biggest purchaser. Koolhoven was eager to build a fighter aircraft because several attempts in the past weren't really successful. The Finnish airforce suggested to modify the F.K.52 model in a single-seat fighter. They delivered the engine from a captured Polikarpov I-190.
In 1937 Koolhoven succeeded in his new fighter-biplane: The F.K.52C-1. The Dutch Airforce wasn't interested but the ML-KNIL wanted the plane in the Indies. Finland ordered several planes with a new engine the F.K.52C-2. it was at that moment the fastest biplane-fighter and it obtained a lot of success in the war against the soviet Union. here are two examples:

regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:45:38 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #628 on: December 09, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
THOSE are absolutely lovely, Lauhof. Fine job.

Thanks,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #629 on: December 10, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »
Thank you, Logan! :)

Offline cptmike2012

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #630 on: December 10, 2014, 04:23:54 AM »
Koolhoven, a Dutch Aircraft manufacturer, learned his skills at Deperdussin and Armstrong-Whirtworth. He was actually the first Dutch designer, although Fokker got the credits. Koolhoven couldn't cope with success Fokker had during WWI and later on as a civil aircraft designer. Koolhoven developed in 1936 the scout-twoseater F.K.52 and sold several to the Dutch Airforce (Lva) but Finland was the biggest purchaser. Koolhoven was eager to build a fighter aircraft because several attempts in the past weren't really successful. The Finnish airforce suggested to modify the F.K.52 model in a single-seat fighter. They delivered the engine from a captured Polikarpov I-190.
In 1937 Koolhoven succeeded in his new fighter-biplane: The F.K.52C-1. The Dutch Airforce wasn't interested but the ML-KNIL wanted the plane in the Indies. Finland ordered several planes with a new engine the F.K.52C-2. it was at that moment the fastest biplane-fighter and it obtained a lot of success in the war against the soviet Union. here are two examples:

regards
Lauhof

Hello Lauhof,

Outstanding work on these profiles.

Perhaps a French and/or an Italian version?  I don't know what the backstories might be, but the visuals would be very interesting....

Thanks,

CPT Mike

MOD edit: Quote fixed!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:19:25 AM by ChernayaAkula »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #631 on: December 13, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

Maybe a Frech version. ;)

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #632 on: December 14, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
Koolhoven made contact in 1936 with his former aircraft designer Deperdussin in France to inform if the French Armee de l'Air could be interested in buying the F.K.52C. The French government agreed under the condition that the planes were licensed built. So Deperdussin started their own development of the F.K.52 and came with the F.K.52B-1 for the French Airforce. here is won from the 1st Eskadre.

With the possibility of war in Europe Koolhoven arranged in 1938 a joint-venture with Dessouter in England to further built the F.K.52. Several parts of FK.52 were shipped to England and assembled by Dessouter. The RAF wasn't interested, because they had the Gladiator and the spitfire and Hurricane were developing. But the FAA bought several aircraft. Here is one from Malta in 1940

regards
Lauhof

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #633 on: December 17, 2014, 01:24:29 AM »
Hello Lauhof,

Very nice work on the French version!  Thanks.  Do you think some of these might have been exported to Asia?  I think China would have been a buyer for this aircraft...

Thanks again for the French version...

Regards,

CPT Mike

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #634 on: December 18, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »
Nice work with the last ones
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #635 on: December 20, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Thanks Guys!! ;)

When WWII arrived Koolhoven managed to transfer his company to England just before the invasion of Holland. FAA was very pleased with the FK.52C-2 as a supplement to the Fairey Swordfish. With the treat of German encounters the Irish Air Corps (IAC) obtained several F.K.52's. Here is one from the first fighter squadron.

The Dutch government in London ordered more FK.52's for their airforce in the Indies and the planes were shipped to the US but never reached the Indies. They were sold to the US Marines and the reserve squadron VMF-111 was equipped with them. Here is one based on Samoa.

regards
Lauhof

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #636 on: December 21, 2014, 02:17:11 AM »
I like the idea of the Irish one. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #637 on: March 31, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
In 1936, Hawks had approached Howell W. "Pete" Miller, chief engineer for the Granville Brothers and responsible for their famous Gee Bee racers, to create a racing aircraft from his own design, the Hawks Miller HM-1. Miller rebuild the aircraft in 1938 as a two-seater for military purposes. The aircraft was first renamed the Miller HM-2, but when company was reorganized as the Miller Aircraft Co., it was called the MAC-1 and Military Aircraft HM-1.
The Usaac was interested in the monoplane and after tests a contract was signed for six aircraft, used as a fighter-bomber. They were send to the 17th PS. But after several training missions the Usaac wasn’t satisfied and cancelled the contract for more.
The USN, busy to obtain monoplanes for fighter and bomber duties, was also interested and Miller and Hawks upgraded the HM-1 with a different  canopy and an all metal fuselage, called the MH-1A.
The MH-1A fighter-bomber was ment to use on board carriers, but the USN was also testing the SBD from Douglas as a replacement for the BT-1. So the first MH-1A’s were delivered to the Marines. Before the SBD dauntless was delivered several MH-1A’s were also delivered to squadrons on board the carriers, and there was in 1939 an MH-1B torpedo-version.

Here are the examples:

regards
Lauhof

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #638 on: March 31, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
I would love to see an isometric of the TB

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #639 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:22 PM »
Weird, but neat. Definitely a compact little platform for a carrier.

I'm actually surprised you didn't take more elements from the Gee Bee Q.E.D.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #640 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:49 AM »
I would love to see an isometric of the TB

Hi Volkodav

That would be nice, but i can't draw it. A Pity, but thanks for the compliment

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #641 on: April 01, 2015, 02:35:44 AM »
Weird, but neat. Definitely a compact little platform for a carrier.

I'm actually surprised you didn't take more elements from the Gee Bee Q.E.D.

Cheers,

Logan

Thanks for the compliment. I already thought about the Gee-Bee bird, but as a fighter plane for later on, but you gave me a new idea about it. Thanks!

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #642 on: April 03, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
With the arrival of the SBD Dauntless Hawks-Miller were anxious to loose their contract with the USN. Miller had already contacted the Granville Company for un upgrade version of the torpedo-bomber MH-1b. End 1939 they came with the MH-2A Bomberversion, a larger and heavier upgrade of the MH-1B. Here is one example from VT-2.

Begin 1940 Granville managed to develop an faster smaller version, the MH-3 as a fighter. The USN contracted them for 60 fighters. here is one from VF-16.

friendly regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:43:52 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #643 on: April 06, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »
Better and better... :-* :-*

Offline Senji

• My deviantart.
« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2015, 04:56:04 AM »
Nice Koolhoven biplane

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »
In 1936, Hawks had approached Howell W. "Pete" Miller, chief engineer for the Granville Brothers and responsible for their famous Gee Bee racers, to create a racing aircraft from his own design, the Hawks Miller HM-1. Miller rebuild the aircraft in 1938 as a two-seater for military purposes. The aircraft was first renamed the Miller HM-2, but when company was reorganized as the Miller Aircraft Co., it was called the MAC-1 and Military Aircraft HM-1.
The Usaac was interested in the monoplane and after tests a contract was signed for six aircraft, used as a fighter-bomber. They were send to the 17th PS. But after several training missions the Usaac wasn’t satisfied and cancelled the contract for more.
The USN, busy to obtain monoplanes for fighter and bomber duties, was also interested and Miller and Hawks upgraded the HM-1 with a different  canopy and an all metal fuselage, called the MH-1A.
The MH-1A fighter-bomber was ment to use on board carriers, but the USN was also testing the SBD from Douglas as a replacement for the BT-1. So the first MH-1A’s were delivered to the Marines. Before the SBD dauntless was delivered several MH-1A’s were also delivered to squadrons on board the carriers, and there was in 1939 an MH-1B torpedo-version.

Here are the examples:

regards
Lauhof

Hi Lauhof,

The canopy lines of the HM-1 remind me of a Yak-18.  Could you possibly make a Soviet version of the HM-1?

Thanks,

CPT Mike

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »

Here are the examples:

regards
Lauhof

Hi Lauhof,

The canopy lines of the HM-1 remind me of a Yak-18.  Could you possibly make a Soviet version of the HM-1?

Thanks,

CPT Mike

A fighter-bomber could be a possibility for USSR.

regards
Lauhof

Offline DaveyBoy

« Reply #647 on: May 05, 2015, 03:12:30 AM »
Lauhof, I've recent joined the forum and I'm playing catch-up with the different threads.

I just want to say I really Love your profiles and the history you have given them. I really do not know what to say, besides .............Excellent!!.

Dave.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #648 on: May 05, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Dave for the compliment en welcome to the forum!! 8)

friendly regards

Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #649 on: June 10, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
With the War at hand in Dec 1941 the US Navy was desperately searching for new aircraft. At that moment only the Brewster F2A and Grumman F4F were available. Several aircraft factories were asked to compete in new models. Vultee, among them, had already built the P-66 but this plane was rejected by the USAAC. But the USN was interested. Vultee approached Grumman to help and they delivered the Canopy/cockpit, which was later used on the F6F. the new aircraft: FV-1 was ready in 1942 and delivered first to the USMC. here is one from VMF-221:

With the competition still going on Grumman stopped the collaboration with Vultee and so the engineers of Vultee came in 1943 with the F2V-1 and came with an modern canopy which was later used also on the Corsair.
Here is one from VF-5:

At the end of 1943 Vultee came with another concept of the F2V with a different engine: The XF3V-1, which was tested at NAS Patuxent in 1944.

friendly regards
Lauhof