Author Topic: Airbus  (Read 20537 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Airbus
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:37:45 AM »

(Image source: Wikipedia > Airbus A400M Atlas)

***I removed the two dead links in this post that now lead to nowhere in an effort to clean things up the link to the Wikipedia page on the A400M is now the header so please carry on with discussions about all things Airbus.  jjf
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:14:41 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Airbus
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:43:06 AM »
Must not buy...only want engines...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:18:35 AM »
Must not buy...only want engines...

You are sharing my dilemma.  Focused on those engines and propellers and it set my imagination in motion.  That two-engine C-130 is looking pretty good about now.  Even better would be the four-engine high-performance C-130 with all of those A400M engines :^)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:31:05 AM »
Maybe we should go halves in a purchase and take two engines each...maybe turn the remaining kit into a glider...or fit it with jets as per the early FLA ideas:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:31:49 AM »
Additional images of the Revell kit courtesy of IPMS Deutschland can be see at this link: IPMS Deutschland RoG Airbus A400M "Grizzly" kit build

(image source: IPMS Deutschland/Dieter Wiegmann)

The figures in the image look a bit strange.  Perhaps WW2 era German? 

Another possible kit bash might be a Transall C-160 with the engines from the A400M. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:53:32 AM by jeffryfontaine »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Or maybe a C27 with just one engine...on the tail...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
Thomas Geier has provided images of the Revell of Germany 1/72nd scale Airbus A400M "Grizzly" (Nr. 04800) in an in-box kit review at Modellversium

(image source: Thomas Geier/Modellversium)

It was certainly nice of Revell to include feathered and unfeathered propellers in the kit.  The way that the kit is set up with the individual engine nacelles as separate components will certainly allow for an opportunity to modify the kit for other types of propulsion.  That swept wing just begs for some large turbofans. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:22:31 PM by jeffryfontaine »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
Those engines-props would make for a rippin fast STOL B-29 !

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
How about an RCAF Argus MK.3? Smokin'!!!

:in-love:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:58:16 AM »
>>> CAUTION <<<    Argus 3 pilots be careful not to smash tail boom on runway when rotating to 45deg climb out.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »
Yes, they damaged or lost 5 MAD booms until they developed a hinge which lifted  the boom up when Capt. Showing-off-to-the girl-friend does his min load, max power climb out at CFB Comox.

:)

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
Yes, they damaged or lost 5 MAD booms until they developed a hinge which lifted  the boom up when Capt. Showing-off-to-the girl-friend does his min load, max power climb out at CFB Comox.

:)
>>> CAUTION <<<    Argus 3 pilots be careful not to smash tail boom on runway when rotating to 45deg climb out.

Might have to extend the landing gear on both types to get suitable clearance for those huge propellers.  Otherwise you will have one heck of a lawnmower.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:25 AM »
Nothing to stir up the imagination like a small thumbnail iimage that gives you the impression that someone has built a camouflaged Airbus.  Upon closer examination, it is not a camouflage scheme that was built by Jörg Teller but instead the primer colors for the various fuselage and wing assemblies that make up the complete aircraft.  In this case it is a 1/144th scale model. 

Click on the thumbnail to view the article and larger images of the A380 built by Jörg that have been uploaded to

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:40:53 AM »
I recall seeing a photoshop or similar of an A-340 done up with twin bom bays years ago.

I plan one day to also do a A-340 with Wedgetail style radar.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:43:25 AM »
I recall seeing a photoshop or similar of an A-340 done up with twin bom bays years ago.

I plan one day to also do a A-340 with Wedgetail style radar.

With all of that fuselage real estate available you could mount the antenna to match the contours of the fuselage in a fashion similar to the Seawolf and the Virginia class submarines with the three large SONAR arrays along the sides of the hull. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:52:59 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »
or just stick the whole sub halves on the A-340's fuselage !! :o

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »
From Eurosatory 2014

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 02:28:48 AM »
From Eurosatory 2014

Quote heard from cockpit seconds before photo taken:  "what's this button do…." ;D

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
Notice above button:  "Australian Bushfire Starter"...  ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
Maybe we should go halves in a purchase and take two engines each...maybe turn the remaining kit into a glider...or fit it with jets as per the early FLA ideas:

Inspired by that image, I clipped a bit of plastic material from the wings on one of my 1:144th scale A-400M kits.  The undersides of both wings have physical features that stand proud from the wing surface to support the engines so I removed that material in order to try and position some engines from a Zvezda Boeing 747.  It looks to be possible to use the jet engines with the shorter trailing edges and situate the engines a bit further forward of the wings in order to make them fit.  The other option might be to use the wings from the 747 (or 787) on the A-400M.  Not sure I want to do that much hacking on the kit though.  Now what to do with the turbine units from the A-400M...

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »
From Eurosatory 2014

Quote heard from cockpit seconds before photo taken:  "what's this button do…." ;D

Now dump fuel! :icon_surprised:

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:46 PM »
Airbus officially renames Bombardier-developed C Series the A220

C Series 100 will be known as the A220-100, while the larger C Series 300 will be the A220-300

Story here http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cseries-airbus-1.4740345

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
Only fair as I understand there's a growing tie-up between Boeing and Embraer.