Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Doctor Who
« on: January 22, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
Some of my earliest memories are of watching early 70s Jon Pertwee Doctor Whos.  It's been a lifelong love, and I have recently been watching some of the originals from the 70s after introducing my girlfriend to the new ones and then easing her into the Tom Baker classics.  So I have noticed the lack of Dr Who modeling.  I built a balsawood Tardis for my stepson when I was married and he was 6 and letting me introduce him to the classics (pre New Who), but as a lifelong modeler that is my one and only Dr Who build. 

Not long ago the GF and I watched one of my favorite late Tom Baker stories; State of Decay.  This was a vampire story from 1980.  In the story The Doctor mentions Time Lord "Bow Ships" that were armed with bolts/arrows to shoot through the hearts of the Time Lord's arch enemies (pre Dalek one assumes) , the Vampires. 

So now I'm wanting to do a Sci-Fi build of a Time Lord Bow Ship....does anyone else have a ship from Dr Who that they have thought about building?  Any ship from the series you have thought about reinterpreting?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:47:30 PM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
Welcome to BTS community.
To follow your posting will say my early video media memory is watching Crusader Rabbit. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
I would build a tardis but I hear scaling the interior is a pain... ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:27:02 AM »
To follow your posting will say my early video media memory is watching Crusader Rabbit.
You, too?  I remember those cartoons from my (long ago) childhood.  I suspect they may be more famous as the first efforts of the team that later brought you Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I'm afraid I'll have to admit to never having watched Dr. Who.  I'm familiar with the basic premise but that's about it.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »
For me, Dr. Who has seldom been about the spaceships and they generally don't do much to show the exteriors. And, even if they do, the ships are seldom seen more than in one show or series which makes it somewhat more difficult to get attached to them or to the idea of the ships in Dr. Who, in general.

Long way of saying, no, I've never been terribly interested in making a Whovian ship.

Notwithstanding, I'd love to see what others do.

Me, I have a standing order from SWMBO to turn a bedroom alcove into a TARDIS-faced craft storage closet, so I've got that to look forward to in 1:1.  :D

Paul

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
My wife has been known to refer to her handbag as “the TARDIS” ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:06 PM »
Mine does the same. I tend to call it a "Bag of Holding", for any D&D players out there...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:09:56 AM »
Mine does the same. I tend to call it a "Bag of Holding", for any D&D players out there...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  What else can I say?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
I recall that story line, it was set in the alternate universe he was trapped in for a season where he picked up Adric and lost Remana and the second K-9.  I think from memory the Bow Ships and Vampire war were pre time travel and considered myth but with instructions embedded in every TARDIS to take any measures necessary to kill the king vampire (the only one unaccounted for at the end of the war) if it was ever encountered.  The bowships would be impressive, I visualise them looking something like a streamlined crossbow grafted onto a drive section.