Author Topic: Ilyushin Il-40 and Il-42/102  (Read 2688 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Ilyushin Il-40 and Il-42/102
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:56:01 AM »
'Always thought of the Il-42/102 as sort of an "ugly-cute" machine.  Many publications I've come across that mentioned the Il-102 would concentrate on laughing at it for having a tail gun, and it did lose out to the Su-25 for Soviet mass-production, but judging from what little I was able to find, the aircraft itself isn't bad.

What-if Polish machine.  With LRMTS in the nose.

More HERE.  I do not speak the language, however, so I have next to no idea about the text.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:44:44 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Ilyushin Il-40 and Il-42/102
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
The use of a tail gun and gunner in a close support aircraft should not be overlooked.  The Soviets in Afghanistan found that when they used their older Il-28 Beagle bombers for close air support, they tended to suffer fewer casualties than the more modern Su-7 aircraft.   They put it down to the rear gunner being able to suppress ground fire after the aircraft had passed overhead.  So, it's not as silly an idea as it first appears...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »
The use of a tail gun and gunner in a close support aircraft should not be overlooked.  The Soviets in Afghanistan found that when they used their older Il-28 Beagle bombers for close air support, they tended to suffer fewer casualties than the more modern Su-7 aircraft.   They put it down to the rear gunner being able to suppress ground fire after the aircraft had passed overhead.  So, it's not as silly an idea as it first appears...

Yup! Keeps the guy with the Stinger ducking for cover, rather than aiming & firing. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »

Yup! Keeps the guy with the Stinger ducking for cover, rather than aiming & firing. :smiley:

Stinger's (and Blowpipe's) value was more moral than material.  There was never a single aircraft reported to be hit by either missile system.  The Mujihadeen weren't very well trained and tended to fire them either too early or too late to actually hit the targets they were aimed at.  The DShK and other MGs were much more effective weapons, stationed on the high ridges, firing down on the aircraft as they attacked their targets  in the valleys.   What the MANPADS did was force the attacking aircraft to release their bombs higher, with less accuracy as nervous pilots didn't press home their attacks as well as they should have.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »
For some reason I like the look of that aircraft. Anigrand do a kit of it (or they did a kit of it)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »
'Always thought of the Il-42/102 as sort of an "ugly-cute" machine.  Many publications I've come across that mentioned the Il-102 would concentrate on laughing at it for having a tail gun, and it did lose out to the Su-25 for Soviet mass-production, but judging from what little I was able to find, the aircraft itself isn't bad.

In that case my friend, I give you this:

https://youtu.be/M6l6dHosCWs

M.A.D

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
I found this very interesting - re the IL-102:

"By 1982, Ilyushin had completed 2 prototypes under private funding and re-attempted pitching the IL-102 to the Russian military through completing costs assessments and 372 demonstration sorties. The results came out to that when compared to the Su-25, the IL-102 costed less to build & maintain, was heavier (by ~10,000lbs) but better armored, had more redundancy built-in structurally, and could carry 3,800kg more offensive ordinance. Despite all these benefits, none were ordered and the IL-102 failed to enter mass-production."

Also of interest is the following scaled drawing comparing the difference in size between the IL-102 and the Su-25, and for that matter, the A-10!!

M.A.D