Author Topic: 2024 Swords to Plowshares Group Build Guidelines  (Read 449 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
2024 Swords to Plowshares Group Build Guidelines
« on: April 03, 2024, 08:45:40 AM »
Swords to ploughshares (or plowshares) is a concept in which military weapons or technologies are converted for peaceful civilian applications.

The phrase originates from the Book of Isaiah chapter 2:

Many peoples shall come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths." For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. –
    — Isaiah 2:3–4

And with that, we kick off the 2024 Swords to Plowshares Group Build!

I, LemonJello, will be your humble Moderator.  The Group Build will run from 2 April 2024 though 2 July 2024.

Here are the guidelines:

1. Have Fun!
2. Take a military platform (Land, Sea, Air, Space) and convert it to civilian use. 
3. Direct questions to the Moderator
4. Have Fun!

Examples - tanks/AFVs turned into agricultural tractors, logging machines or firefighting apparatus. Amphibious Assault Vehicles turned into ecotourism or rescue vehicles.  Riverine or Fast Attack boats converted to fishing boats, private yachts or inter-island commuter ferries. Cargo planes in civilian markings (FedEx C-5 Galaxy? Sure.) or converted to water bombers. 

There will be threads for finished physical builds and profiles/digital builds, as well as an Inspiration Thread.

Go forth and do great whiffery things!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: 2024 Swords to Plowshares Group Build Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 03:52:45 PM »
DAMN !  I'm 3/4 way through such a model .... I guess it's not eligible as I did start it 25 years ago :(

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=11013.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 04:10:16 PM by raafif »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 09:45:43 PM »
DAMN !  I'm 3/4 way through such a model .... I guess it's not eligible as I did start it 25 years ago :(

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=11013.0

I'd ask the moderator to allow it...I think he might.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 02:30:23 AM »
A question for the great god and consumer of gelatinous lemons. And also this GB moderator.

Would you consider NACA a civilian organization?

The reason is that it did a lot work for both the military but also for the civilian aviation industry.

<<NACA>> had adopted a new and more ambitious mission: to promote military and civilian aviation through applied research that looked beyond current needs. NACA researchers pursued this mission through the agency's impressive collection of in-house wind tunnels, engine test stands, and flight test facilities. Commercial and military clients were also permitted to use NACA facilities on a contract basis. [sic]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 02:43:30 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 03:57:47 AM »
Good question. Better answer: Yes.

From my quick research, NACA didn't deal with weaponry or delivery of weaponry via aircraft, but dealt more with performance of designs, engines and other systems.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 05:01:32 AM »
Good question. Better answer: Yes.

From my quick research, NACA didn't deal with weaponry or delivery of weaponry via aircraft, but dealt more with performance of designs, engines and other systems.

Thank you.

There are some nice starter NACA decals out there. IE:

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 12:27:16 PM »
Just a thought...
Would Police be considered civilians?
What if the Dutch Police were given their own F-16s for monitoring speeds on highways - instead of letting their Air Force have all the fun?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 09:51:14 PM »
Just a thought...
Would Police be considered civilians?
What if the Dutch Police were given their own F-16s for monitoring speeds on highways - instead of letting their Air Force have all the fun?

I'm on board with Police, with the limitation of no weaponry allowed. So, anything goes for ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) but no "warheads on foreheads."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 04:52:09 AM »
Folks, we are a third of the way through the group build's allotted time.  Still not too late to join us! Find something in the forgotten projects pile, or on the Shelf of Doom, or that needs a new paint job and get going!