Author Topic: HMAS(CG) Rivoli Bay  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
HMAS(CG) Rivoli Bay
« on: June 04, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »
This is the other of the two builds I hope to finish for this GB &, yes, despite my saying it didn't have to be a boat/ship, it's a ship.

In fact it's the Bronco 1/350 USS Fort Worth LCS-3, which will be "Australianised" for service with the Royal Australian Navy Coast Guard.

Here she is as of 15 minutes ago:

(06/06/2019: Edited for a slight name change in the title.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:22:57 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
Re: HMACGS Rivoli Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
At the end of Day 1's modelling session we have two incomplete hulls:

The larger one is Rivoli Bay, which already has a whif element attached.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

Re: HMAS(CG) Rivoli Bay
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »
Not much visible progress but she does have her first colour coat on!

With her stablemate:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:29:37 AM »
Looking good like any inshore/coastal/littoral combatant should!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:35:01 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 02:54:46 AM »
Looking good like any inshore/coastal/littoral combatant should!

Heartily concur!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:15:50 AM »
Kind of surprised you didn't go the Independence-class route given the Austal and thus Australian connection.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 06:27:28 AM »
OTO Melara 76mm on both?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »
Kind of surprised you didn't go the Independence-class route given the Austal and thus Australian connection.

Those in the know avoid Austal, they are so bad they make me think twice about putting in for a role I was asked to apply for because it involves trying to make their stuff fit for purpose.  :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks for looking, guys! :smiley:

OTO Melara 76mm on both?

Nope! The Sea Dragon stays 76mm with the OTO 76mm/62cal but the Rivoli Bay moves up from 57mm to 5"/62cal. ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:39:32 AM »

Those in the know avoid Austal, they are so bad

Bad in what way?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »

Those in the know avoid Austal, they are so bad

Bad in what way?

Bad in that Austal under-engineered the keels of the Armidales & then further degraded them with poor (cheaper) materials during construction.

When the boats then had to perform above minimal peacetime operations, doing anti-people-smuggling operations, their keels began to crack. Serco, who had won the maintenance contract for the boats, found them out & put forward to the Government that this work was outside their contract & that repairs should be conducted at additional cost above the maintenance fees agreed to. The Government, not wanting the extra cost, sided with Austal, despite evidence to the contrary (including from independent sources) & made Serco cover the repairs under the maintenance budget, causing Serco to lose $20M/year on the contract.

OK, Serco may, to some extent, have deserved it but Austal certainly did, & does not deserve the support the Australian government is giving it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
Nice so far.
Waiting for the next bit.. the Stralyanizing

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 06:45:49 PM »
Bloke I know's going somewhat cross-eyed building 5 x 1/350 scale R2-D2's for these builds! :-\

Then he's going to be building 4 x 1/350 scale 25mm Bushmaster systems, too! :-X

Thank the gods they're not 1/700 scale! :o