Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318242 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes
« Reply #450 on: May 11, 2020, 10:41:01 AM »

The Kestrel, in the single-seat A and two-seat B varieties, serves various air forces of the Independent World Coalition Forces in a similar capacity to the F-16 in the Frontier Air Force.

Armaments include two wingtip and six underwing stations for disposable ordnances, as well as two 27mm cannons in the LERX.  The wingtip and outer-most underwing stations are originally cleared to carry only Sidewinder-class short-ranged air-to-air missiles, but the development of a new Aspide medium-range missile version with smaller, less-draggy "clipped" aerosurfaces soon led to the outer-most underwing stations being used to carry this missile; an active radar-guided variant is recently deployed.

A Mid-Life Update was carried out early during the war against the League of Kings terrorist group, featuring improved avionics and modified intake to add hardpoints for targeting pods.  Updated aircraft and new aircraft built to this standard are designated AM for single-seaters and BM for two-seaters.

================================================

(It's actually the Hawker-Siddeley P.1202-9 with RB.431 turbofan; I don't know if it can carry BVRAAMs on wingtips)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:41:50 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »

Air-to-air loadout for early Kestrel A.

Vought Model 1600 dressed up as the F-16 in Ace Combat 2.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:24:54 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »
Kestrel looks cool!  8)

The F-16 in Ace Combat colours is also quite interesting. Never really paid much attention to the Hasegawa boxings of Ace Combat subjects. That will have to change.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

A marginally-less-lazy attempt to do a fictional early-model MiG-21/J-7 upgraded to use the Derby missile than my previous one.

I normally disdain MiG-21 ;D other than the tailless Analog-144, but the contrast between an early model of this venerable aircraft and 21-century missiles gets a pass, so to speak.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:57:09 PM by dy031101 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: June 22, 2020, 01:43:50 AM »
I like it.  :smiley: A pity not more -21s are getting newer radars. Some of the feasible upgrades could make them quite potent aircraft even today.
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline dy031101

« Reply #455 on: July 04, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »

Made some alterations to the Alt-ROCAF Mirage 4000 drawing found online.

The first involves changing the rudder blue-white stripes to the correct pattern (six white ones and six blue ones), removing the "Chung-Cheng" writing on the nose (first, such writings would be applied only on aircraft built, whether licenced or indigenously designed, in Taiwan; and second, even if the Mirage was to be built in Taiwan, it'd have used someone else's name since "Chung-Cheng" is already used on the F-5E/F), and switching the inflight refueling probe to the right hand side.

The second one is brought up to the same standard as the real-life Mirage 2000Ei except for the MICA-IR intended to get the aircraft ready for 21-century WVR combat.

Okay back to finishing the Cutlasses......
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:31:18 AM by dy031101 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: July 04, 2020, 08:00:07 PM »
Sexy!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2020, 03:09:05 AM »
Nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #458 on: July 05, 2020, 06:33:46 AM »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #459 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:08 AM »
I lied- a thought involving putting MICA-IR onto a Mirage III crossed my mind and it quickly led to a detour from the Cutlasses *banging head*

The choice of operator is kinda inspired by an old what-if post elsewhere involving the KMT having won the Chinese Civil War.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:58:21 AM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #460 on: July 05, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Very nice!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2020, 07:15:56 AM »
The camo on that Exocet-toting Mirage is great!  8)
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline dy031101

« Reply #462 on: July 11, 2020, 02:43:30 PM »

F-102 with the bomb-carrying external fuel tanks taken from the Mirage III/5.  The tanks are smaller (500L from the F-102's standard 800L, IIRC) but meant on the Mirage III/5 for supersonic use and each has hardpoints for bombs.

Yay or Nay?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:48:18 PM by dy031101 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #463 on: July 11, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
Long time F-102 fan.  Saw a lot in 50s-60s.  Triple blue over tan on F-102 works so well.  :smiley:  Yay.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #464 on: July 12, 2020, 03:23:56 AM »
Different
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #465 on: July 13, 2020, 03:54:09 AM »

Me trying to portray the same camo on a J35 Draken.

On a sidenote, fans of arcade-style flight action video game genre might be able to see the crossover I am attempting to do.  This one (and that F-102  ;)) is part of something that would be a bit more "formally FD Scale" once completed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:06:46 AM by dy031101 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #466 on: July 15, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Works well on the Delta Dagger, but even better on the Draken. At least to my eye. Probably the light grey radome.
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline dy031101

« Reply #467 on: July 15, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
Triple blue over tan on F-102 works so well.
Probably the light grey radome.

How is this try?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:19:16 PM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #468 on: July 15, 2020, 10:51:14 PM »
How about a F-106 done up the same way?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #469 on: July 19, 2020, 04:02:42 AM »
I'm still trying out patterns, but I guess now is as good of a time to round out "Team 'Falcon Missile'" as any.

Which one looks nicer?  The one on the F-102 in the above post or the one on the F-106?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #470 on: July 19, 2020, 04:21:16 AM »
Combo of color placement on F-102 design make it my favorite.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #471 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
'Might as well further facilitate the comparison:

I have never seen any picture of a F-106 with its radome colour being anything other than black or orange/red.  That being said, I guess the world setting that I put this project under technically allows me to do whatever I want  ;)

The different positioning of the Matra JL-100 fuel tanks relative to the pylons they are mounted under is a result of me being very confused regarding where their attachment points are......
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:39:59 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
AR15 (16" barrel, meant to represent a Recon Rifle setup) with sports rifle or old battle rifle ergonomics, courtesy of the Ares SCR chassis:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:26:07 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »

After delays suffered by Project Zhen Hai due to difficulties in developing an indigenous active electronically-scanned array radar suitable for a 4500-ton class frigate meant to approach the opposing People's Liberation Army Navy's Type 052C class destroyer in terms of firepower, the Republic of China Navy, after the swearing-in of the new administration in 2024, decided to upgrade their Cheng Kung class and Ming Chuan class (ex-USN OH Perry class) frigates, as well as the Keelung class destroyers (ex-Kidd class guided missile destroyers), using elements from Project Zhen Hai that are ready for mass-production.

To that end, each ships has received a new combat data system derived from that intended for the new-construction frigates; the AN/SPS-49 radar is replaced with an SMART-S-like rotating AESA radar (the most-notable difference being its use of Yagi-type elements to achieve long range),  the Mk.13 missile launcher is given Ordnance Alterations to handle the more-powerful SM-2MR missile; a self-defense-length Mk.41 VLS is installed in the same manner as the Australian Adelaide class for quad-packed TC-2N point-defense missiles, and the Phalanx CIWS on each Cheng Kung class frigate is upgraded to Block 1B standard (the Ming Chuan class is already equipped with this latest iteration of the Phalanx CIWS).

A new batch of SM-2MR missiles are purchased for both these frigates and the Keelung class destroyers.  Designated as the RIM-66K-7 SM-2 Medium Range Block IIIC Active, these newly-built missiles feature an active radar seeker and require only the frigates' fire control radars to provide the occasional mid-course autopilot command uplink (although, unlike the Keelung class destroyers, the frigates have no mean of receiving downlink data from the missiles in return), improving multi-target engagement capability and allowing the aging SM-1MR missiles to be reduced to exercise shots and reserve.  The introduction of the MH-60R Seahawk helicopters means that two are embarked on each Ming Chuan class frigate and Keelung class destroyer; the Cheng Kung class frigates continue to use the existing S-70C(M) Thunderhawk helicopters due to the frigates lacking the SQQ-89(V) anti-submarine warfare system and therefore unable to fully employ the LAMPS Mk.III capabilities anyway.

=====================================================================================

As I continue on with my Heavy Cutlass project, I came across a series of photographs showing the correct position of the 40mm L70 guns on the ROCN's Cheng Kung class frigate.  After slapping myself for basing my past works on an incorrect drawing, I set about making my best interpretation of the photographs......

The above-mentioned modernization is a what-if; the low-observable cupola for the Mk.75 cannon is real, as IRL both the Cheng Kung class and the Ming Chuan class did receive retrofit kits from Oto Melara for those weapons.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:27:02 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #474 on: October 04, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »

When the Frontier Army starts using the SkyCeptor ordnance to replenish the stock of older MIM-104 Patriot missiles expended during various operations against the League of Kings warlord alliance, the Frontier Navy's Fleet Foreign Auxiliary initiates a parallel programme to upgrade the navalized Patriot launchers of the helicopter cruiser Chiyo with these missiles as well.

With the SkyCeptor, Chiyo no longer has to divide her missile complement between two separate Patriot missile variants in order to deal with the full spectrum of anti-ship threats, including anti-ship reentry vehicles launched from ballistic missiles.  The new missile has a dual-mode active radar homing and imaging infrared seeker and is stated to be at least the equivalent to the SM-2MR Block IIIC used by frontline warships of the Frontier Navy when used against aircraft and anti-ship cruise missiles.  Also, each launcher is capable of taking on 12 SkyCeptor canisters compared to four for the older Patriot missiles.

Chiyo received Link 16 equipment shortly after her formal commissioning, well before the rearming programme with the SkyCeptor.  Her S-70C Thunderhawk anti-submarine helicopters are upgraded for improved crew survivability with a view of ultimately being replaced with the MH-90 Caiman (a LAMPS-compatible NH90 NFH used primarily onboard the Frontier Navy's AEGIS cruisers) as the mass-production of the latter permits; the successor to the RH-3H Sea King mine countermeasure helicopters is still being debated, as the MH-101 Merlin that the Frontier Navy is already invested in is too heavy for her flight deck whereas the MH-90 as a mine countermeasure platform, mirroring the capability of the MH-60S, is still being assessed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:13:39 PM by dy031101 »