Author Topic: RAAF F-4-1-LO Lightning A55-3 1PRU 1943 - complete  (Read 17520 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: RAAF F-4-1-LO Lightning A55-3 1PRU 1943
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
One nice thing about working in larger scales like 1/48 is that your cool recon mods will really be showcased nicely!

The new nose looks great and I like how your photos give an almost play-by-play of your work on this project.

I'm also looking forward to seeing that Lancer. There's something about the P-43 that grabs me. I've got a 1/72 vac in the stash which should show the depths of desperation I'll sink to so I can build one.

Will be following with great interest!

Brian da Basher
(unabashed RAAF fan)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
thanks, it is an enjoyable build even though its in brief build spurts!

I would love any info you or anyone one else may have on the RAAF Lancer's. Mostly any photo's of the camera area! Have been on the ADF Serials website, which has the best info and photos I could find....so far. But any additional help would be nice.

As mentioned on the Viper build my crazy FIFO work is about to end so more model time is coming up, so the Lancer may hit the work bench sooner rather than later now!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 12:50:55 AM »
ok more painting fun and games....

The painting is finally completed, though there were a few moments where I thought I had stuffed it up!! This new paint takes a bit of getting use to compared to the normal acrylics but I have to admit I love the stuff now. This Lifecolor paint pretty well takes what you throw at it and still comes out a nice finish….though it is quite fragile, which suits my style of weathering.

With the under surfaces done came the masking, and boy did that take some time! The wiggly lines aren’t 100% correct but after the time it took I’m more than happy.  So next coat on was the Olive Drab, as it went on it started to go lumpy even though I had thinned it down a lot more than the Sky Blue. Was getting very frustrated with the finished so just pressed on, if I had to sand it back and do it again well that was what I had to do. After a hour in the lovely winter sun it had smoothed completely out, with just a slight uneven finished which I liked.

It turns out the venturi section of my airbrush is bent which was causing uneven air flow hence the lumpy finish. Bent it back into sort of shape, not 100% but at least it paints a bit more even….may have to buy a new one!

Next again more masking…this part is sooooo painful! I used liquid masking solution to fill in the unpainted areas, something I normally use, worked out quite ok.

Then the final colour, Foliage Green, before going into the sun again.

Once dry off came the masks and to my surprise it actually looked rather good. A little bit more than normal touch up was required. And again the Lifecolor acrylic paint went of perfectly with a brush, was very surprised…I do love this paint.

This air craft had a major section of the starboard wing replaced in service with new USAAF parts so hence the odd colour section. This was Olive Drab/Neutral Grey, which was the last bit of painting done.

Finally a wee bit of ware and tear on the paneling and the painting stage is complete, just a coat of gloss to seal.

As can be see on one of the prop nose cones the paint is very thin and comes off easily…..a wee touch up required there.

Next up was the clear coat, there were a couple of issues notably with the clear gloss coat, it went on a wee bit lumpy (probably a bit too thick…result of rushing) and it seemed to react with the “salt” weathering I did with the main coats. Nothing too bad, actually looks good in some places! It may disappear with the final flat topcoat, we’ll see.

The decals went on without issues and that’s about it!

There is not a lot to do to finish her off, unfortunately she didn't make it in time of the GB.

Next update will be the final one with completed photos.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: RAAF F-4-1-LO Lightning A55-3 1PRU 1943 - UPDATE 07/07
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »
Looking great as is, trickyrich, can't wait to see her finished! 8)

I used LifeColor for the 1st time on my FSBR, everything you said is exactly how I experienced it (right down to the bent airbrush needle  :icon_crap: ).

It may sound weird but I noticed that where I brush painted some areas prior to airbrushing the airbrushed paint didn't come off the Tamiya grey primer I use, so I may do LifeColor undercoats by hand in future & see how that goes.

I'm guessing that the physical action of the brush bonds the LifeColor into the primer surface better.

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:30 PM »
I noticed the same thing when using the brush for touchups, the LifeColor doesn't seem to behave like most acrylics at all!!! It's actually a pleasure to use and behaves, well for me anyway, like enamel paint. But it's the finish I like the best from the LifeColor, it's just about idiot proof....I tried!  ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
That's looking really good, much better than the 1/72 Revell version I did back in the 80s.

What did you use for the Foliage green?  You probably have it in the text somewhere but I can't find it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »
Looks like he's used LifeColor's UA 514 (FS 34092 ?) Foliage Green from the RAAF Camo set they produce.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »
That's looking really good, much better than the 1/72 Revell version I did back in the 80s.

What did you use for the Foliage green?  You probably have it in the text somewhere but I can't find it.

What Old Wombat said, the Foliage Green is from the LifeColor RAAF WWII colour set. I actually think it's a better colour match than the White Ensign version I used on the Boomerang, plus it went on much easier!

I bought both LifeColor RAAF sets as I have a P-39 and P-43 which will both be done in RAAF colours plus a possible Buffalo as well......when I have time to do these is another matter!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:50:05 AM by trickyrich »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
Thanks for that, I have a collection of aircraft intended for WWII RAAF service and overall Foliage Green, I am even contemplating keeping it as the main colour for the post war Army Aviation Corps as well as I love the look, especially with the white identification sections.  Builds like yours are a real inspiration.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
Well she’s finally completed, even though she was a wee bit late for my GB!!!!

Well there wasn’t a great deal left to do, though what there was was a bit time consuming. The kit decals are horrible, too thick and just wouldn't flatten down onto the models surface, even with the help of setting solution. Resulting in their appearing a bit “shiny” once the flat top coat was on.

The main camera windows will have to be replaced as I didn’t have clear acrylic sheet thin enough, so they stick out ever so slightly.

Just a little bit of weathering to finish her off…and done.

I do like this build quite a lot even if she’s not quite up to my usual standard. She is a unique part of RAAF history and a nice addition to the Boomerang as well. Not sure which will be next for this collection, either the Airacobra or the Lancer, will just have to see how I am for time! 

Sorry photo heavy as usual!

Re: RAAF F-4-1-LO Lightning A55-3 1PRU 1943 - complete
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
Oh, too MUCH whining trickyrich  ;D

She's gorgeous, a lovely job. Excellent.  :)
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:04 AM »
Damn fine work!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Well I feel suitably inspired now, just think I'll pick a different subject...hmmm...  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
This is the kind of thing that drives people to knitting ::) ... especially as my V-900 is trying to go all pear-shaped!  :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
That is just too good! :D

Gotta agree with MM, FAR too much whining! ;)

Knitting, on the other hand, I'll leave to SWMBO. :))

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »

Gotta agree with MM, FAR too much whining! ;)

Knitting, on the other hand, I'll leave to SWMBO. :))

Letz say it again.......
Gotta agree with MM, FAR too much whining!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
In my defence I have had a cold this week, the first since forever since working up in the Pilbara, so I do whinge a bit....my wife can attest to that!!  ;D >:(

But yes I am very happy with the results and do appreciate all the nice comments. The scary thing is if the base model had been a better one, say the Hasegawa one I would have had less time worrying about the errors and more time on the model.

So any one thinking about a similar build (and I do recommend you do, it's a great aircraft and a nice simple build), it would be very easy with the Hasegawa base to build a true show stopper!!!

I am the first to admit I try to push myself for the perfect build, which I have yet to achieve, and am very critical of everything I build. Probably why I never showed ANYONE the models I have built till now.

So in a way modelling for me is like a Zen garden where you are always trying to achieve perfection but never quite getting there.The day I do I'll give it all away.......so I think there is plenty of modelling left in me!! ;)

Again thank you for all the nice comments it is very much appreciated.

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 01:28:30 AM »
Very fine work, Mr. Trickyrich!  I do believe this is one of the very finest P-38 models that I have seen, every detail is just perfect, and in particular the painwork  :)  Thanks for sharing your build, and of course we are looking forward to MANY more.

Best regards,
Kem

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:10 AM »
Very fine work, Mr. Trickyrich!  I do believe this is one of the very finest P-38 models that I have seen, every detail is just perfect, and in particular the painwork  :)  Thanks for sharing your build, and of course we are looking forward to MANY more.

Best regards,
Kem

I couldn't agree more heartily!

An absolute stunner and a real showcase of your boundless skill, trickyrich!

You've done the RAAF proud and then some!

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:37 AM »
very nice

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Absolutely amazing weathering and wear on that bird.  I'm totally jealous of that kind of skill.  It really does look like a smaller version of the real thing.