Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318219 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Doh!  My mistake.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Very interesting, I know there was an AEGIS conversion planned for Long Beach in the early 80s that never happened.  It actually got me thinking that had for instance the USN built a class of improved Long Beaches through the 60s they could have receive a much more comprehensive NTU / AEGIS upgrade in the late 80s, early 90s.  Imagine a Arleigh Burke forward super structure block grafted onto the Long Beach hull, Mk 41 VLS replacing the Mk10 magazine in B position and the Mk12 magazine and a pair of Mk66 5" twins replacing the Mk10 in A position.  A hanger in place of the Mk12 launcher and a heli pad aft.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
It actually got me thinking that had for instance the USN built a class of improved Long Beaches through the 60s they could have receive a much more comprehensive NTU / AEGIS upgrade in the late 80s, early 90s.  Imagine a Arleigh Burke forward super structure block grafted onto the Long Beach hull, Mk 41 VLS replacing the Mk10 magazine in B position and the Mk12 magazine and a pair of Mk66 5" twins replacing the Mk10 in A position.  A hanger in place of the Mk12 launcher and a heli pad aft.

Not an AEGIS mod., but how's this that I found?

===================================================================================

HQ-2 on a ship- I originally wanted to do a "bad guy's ship", even trying to take inspiration from the final boss of Battlefield 4's campaign.  I ended up being unable to bring myself to make it "bad".

Classified as a destroyer and designed for air defense as well as flotilla command duties (the name of the shipbuilding program that led to it can roughly be translated into "Command Destroyer Experimental"), this Allied warship manages to dwarf every Frontier Navy surface combatant it fights alongside short of a battlecruiser due to the need to accommodate four of the massive Volkhov-M surface-to-air missile launchers and their magazines and is in fact a replacement to an older missile cruiser also so-armed.  Crew requirement was considerably reduced, however, compared to its predecessor thanks to a fairly-high degree of automation in almost all combat-related systems as a result of technology transfer agreement with industrial interest supporting the Armies of Frontier Nations.  Also due to the technology transfer, its armaments are either licence-produced or locally-improved to require as little manpower to operate as reasonably possible, including a PJ33A 100mm automatic gun turret, improved missiles for the four Volkhov-M launchers (with planar slotted-array seeker, solid-fuel booster, and navalized SJ-231 engagement radars; 10 missiles per launcher), two octuple FM-90 short-range air defense missile launchers (each launcher has an autoloader with 16 reload rounds and is assigned two engagement radars in hope of gaining defensive capability against multiple simultaneous attackers), four quadruple C-805 cruise missile launchers, two pairs of radar-guided 30mm gatling guns, two triple 324mm torpedo launchers, and four anti-submarine rocket mortars.  The vessel is equipped for service as a flagship, and a helicopter pad with below-deck hangar (a necessary feature to prevent landed helicopters from obstructing the firing arcs of aft Volkhov-M launchers) is provided at the stern.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:57:05 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Putting bigger gun on a T-28 again.  I blame War Thunder this time even though the game doesn't even allow gun swaps...... but I do love my T-28 and Panzer IV Ausf C.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:09:45 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Panzer IV hull with NM116 turret.

I really would have preferred a turret from M41 light tank, but the turret ring size of M41 is 200mm larger than that of Panzer IV, IIRC.....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:11:34 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Porsche VK 4502(P) variants modified to become an analog of sorts to E-50 and E-75...... the one with frontally-mounted turret gets a Schmalturm and reduced frontal armour, while the rear-mounted turret variant gets a 10.5cm L/68 main gun.

(Not all that confident about the turret ring of the rear-mounted turret variant.  Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:54:21 PM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
 :)

Offline dy031101

T-35 is a step beyond my kind of crazy, but...... ah what the hell.

85mm gun for the main turret (which is a minor modification of the one on T-28) and flame-throwers on secondary turrets.

Sure, by the time KT-28 becomes totally inadequate, 85mm gun has actually more of a business on a medium tank than on a heavy as well, and T-28 did test a bigger gun in the form of 95mm F-39, but what pictures available on the internet are insufficient for me to make a half-accurate portrayal of it......

And I do want to find a gun (rather than a flame thrower) to replace the secondary turret's original 45mm...... no luck so far.  Maybe give the 45mm canister shots then......

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:59:42 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

T-35...... upgraded with a foreign-supplied 17-pounder!

You're seeing 45mm shotguns here because I couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Offline dy031101

Pz.NbFz VI with a high-velocity 75mm gun.  It does seem to have big enough of a turret......

We might as well attempt a size comparison chart:

I need ideas about upgunning the Großtraktor...... its turret seems rather small despite seemingly being designed to take a 75mm L/24 right from the start like Panzer IV......
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:21:54 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

After blowing up a Char 2C in Battle Line: Steel Warfare playtest, I realized that I HAVE to make up for what I did- so upgunning to 17-pounder needs to happen once again:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:13:31 PM by dy031101 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Super profiles.
Inspires me to build 1/35 Char 2C into 1/72 monster.  A type of landcruiser.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
splendid work!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
 :)

Offline dy031101

Does anyone know of any equivalent to the QF 17 pounder and KwK 42 that's manufactured shortly-before or during WWII by, say, Bofors?

I chose the 17 pounder and KwK 42 for the recent mental notes because I reckoned that they are the closest thing to proper heavy tank firepower of WWII-era that those Inter-war heavies can take.  Good luck getting either of those when the war was still raging unless your country was either a British Commonwealth member or a neighbouring ally to Germany.

(There's the 95mm gun F-39 from the USSR?  1. USSR would likely be too busy equipping themselves to bother mass-producing stuff that wasn't intended for their own army or selling the stuff they did mass-produce during WWII, and 2. I'm still kinda contemplating on thinking of those T-35s as being acquired via capture à la Finland to begin with......)

Offline dy031101

Hum...... guess I really must think of a scheme to get the 17-pounder somehow.

The closest made-in-neutral-nation counterpart I can think of is the Bofors 75mm AA gun- the Japanese made a tank gun out of it, but it wasn't quite as good (as the 17-pounder).

===================================================================

Comet cruiser tank upgraded with AMX-13 turret, 90mm gun.

AMX-13 turret isn't exactly medium tank furnishment, but it's probably less troublesome mechanical-wise (too bad the oscillating turret used on American T69 seems to be troublesome- its magazine is in the hull and can therefore be reloaded from inside of the tank).

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:44:22 PM by dy031101 »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Niiiiiice!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Volkodav

Yes nice!

From memory there was a a version of the osculating turret without a bustle / autoloader that actually looked more normal.

The 17pdr was a purpose designed AT gun while the US 76 and 90mm guns, as well as the German 88mm and British 3" (I believe only used on an interim Churchill casemate type TD) were all AA guns adapted to the AT / tank gun role.  Probably too big / heavy but the RN had a 4" (102mm) DP gun that may have made for a very interesting heavy tank gun.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Yeah, that is a snazzy looking combo. Good job.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline dy031101

Thanks folks.

From memory there was a a version of the osculating turret without a bustle / autoloader that actually looked more normal.

American oscillating turrets have their magazines in the hull and therefore can be reloaded under armour.  They seem to have reliability problems, however, and NBC protection can only be provided via individual gas masks connected to an air filtration system.

Offline Volkodav

Doh! Now I remember, the version used on the EBR armoured car didn't have an auto loader, also there were larger versions designed for the AMX50 and a version for Austria packing a 105mm.  A slightly larger version, permitting a loader to be added to the crew, would have been ideal to upgrade the Comet with a ful bore 17pdr then a 20pdr and finally an L7 105mm.

Offline dy031101

A slightly larger version, permitting a loader to be added to the crew, would have been ideal to upgrade the Comet with a ful bore 17pdr then a 20pdr and finally an L7 105mm.

Or fully-militarize COMRES-75 and skip the 17-pounder  ;)

Though one thing about relocating magazine to the hull and adding a loader is the question as to how big the turret ring will get.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:29:01 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
What about something with a couple (or more) Recoilless rifles onboard - kind of like a heavier British equivalent to the M50 Ontos or Type 60?  Maybe give it a set of 120mm L6 WOMBAT recoilless riffles?

This could be an alternate to the FV4401 Contentious (see below) under Project Prodigal.

Offline dy031101

I guess this is bound to happen...... T-100 and SMK with 17-pounder.

Frankly...... I think a tank howitzer would look better on them (maybe even the other 17-pounder and KwK 42 gun tank mental notes), but BT-42 has shown us just how hard it can be to come up with a HEAT shell that would work well against sloped armours during World War II......
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:41:13 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Development of VK6501(H) with suspension design of '3601(H) and then mid-life upgraded with E-50's 88mm L/71 Schmalturm.

Size comparison attempt for "newer" tanks...... is Henschel Tiger I really that compact?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:04:55 PM by dy031101 »