Author Topic: US Navy Sea Hurricane, VF-19, October 1943, USS Lexington  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
US Navy Sea Hurricane, VF-19, October 1943, USS Lexington
« on: July 04, 2020, 03:14:35 PM »
Following the successful Japanese sabotage attack on the Grumman plant in NY in July 1942 the US Navy found itself in need of a supply of naval fighters.  With no Wildcats coming from the production line and the need to press the Pacific war the US Navy made the controversial move of purchasing a foreign aircraft. Athte same time Elsie MacGill, the lead engineer for the Canadian Car and Foundry company, was  making a name for herself as a brilliant engineer developing the venerable Hawker Hurricane.   The US Navy contracted with CCF to produce Sea Hurricanes to fill the gap before newer fighters such as the Corsair and Hellcat could come to the front line. 

US Sea Hurricanes were mostly similar to UK versions, with the main difference being the change from six .303 machine guns to four .50 caliber guns.  Canadian Car and Foundry produced 320 Sea Hurricanes for the US Navy.  Initially envisioned as an emergency stopgap fighter, the type ended up serving with the US Navy until the end of the war and was popular with pilots and mechanics alike.  It's simple construction meant it could absorb considerable damage and make its way back to the carrier, and be flying again within days. 

This model depicts a Sea Hurricane of VF-19, flown from the USS Lexington in late 1943.  This aircraft was shot down in January 1945, with its pilot being rescued with minor injuries, but not before it earned 9 victories. 

Kit is the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk.II.  I expected a nice easy build after my recent blood, sweat, and tears with an Eduard Lysander, but this one's fit was even worse.  it took a lot of perseverance to make it to a finished product and I was honestly surprised given the reviews I had read and my experience with Airfix's recent Sea Fury.  But I pressed on and here she is...my 17th COVID build.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: US Navy Sea Hurricane, VF-19, October 1943, USS Lexington
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
 :icon_alabanza:

Awesome !!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »
I like it!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »
Lovely build that one
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 12:38:00 AM »
She's beautiful! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Starbuck

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:41:57 AM »
It's stunning, how great those colors look on it.  I'd love to see a flight deck full of them!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 03:34:02 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 03:43:31 AM »
Oh, that is lovely! And a wonderful backstory. Great stuff about a Japanese sabotage attack on Bethpage :) And the 'Queen of the Hurricanes' gets a mention  ;D

Can I suggest a designation? I'm thinking if the CCF-built Helldiver was a SBW, the BuAer would have designated the Sea Hurricanes as FWs. So, maybe this is an FW-2 (if I'm right in thinking those are .50s replacing the Hispanos)?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
Great backstory adn beautifique' model.

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
Oh, that is lovely! And a wonderful backstory. Great stuff about a Japanese sabotage attack on Bethpage :) And the 'Queen of the Hurricanes' gets a mention  ;D

Can I suggest a designation? I'm thinking if the CCF-built Helldiver was a SBW, the BuAer would have designated the Sea Hurricanes as FWs. So, maybe this is an FW-2 (if I'm right in thinking those are .50s replacing the Hispanos)?

I gave up on trying to come up with a designation so FW-2 works perfectly!  The gun replacement is two .50s replacing the six .303s in the original kit. 

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 12:23:13 AM »
That is a beautiful model! Great paint job and weathering as well.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »
I gave up on trying to come up with a designation so FW-2 works perfectly!  The gun replacement is two .50s replacing the six .303s in the original kit.

Excellent! So, maybe the USN's CCF-built Sea Hurricane line-up goes something like this ...

- FW : Sea Hurricane Mk.XIA; US equipment, V-1650-1 (Merlin 28) engine, 8 x .30 AN/M2s;
- FW-2 : Sea Hurricane Mk.XIIA variant built specifically to US Navy requirements;
 -- FW-2: Packard V-1650-2 (Merlin 29 built to BuAer specifications), 4 x .50 AN/M2 machine guns;
- FW-2A: Lend-Lease Sea Hurricane Mk.XIIA, Packard Merlin 29, 8 x .303-inch Brownings
- XFW-3 : Sea Hurricane Mk.XII with 4 x 20 mm Hispanos (not taken into USN operational service);
- FW-3A: (Project) Planned cannon-armed Lend-Lease Sea Hurricane Mk.XIII (not built);
- FW-4 : Sea Hurricane Mk.XIIA with 1,280 hp Packard V-1650-3, 4 x .50-cal Brownings
- FW-4A: Lend-Lease Sea Hurricane Mk.XIV with 1,280 hp Packard Merlin 63
- FW-5 : Final production model with bubble canopy and 6 x .50 AN/M2s, most cancelled in Aug. 1945  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
As it should have been!   :))
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »
Sea Hurricane is so in service USN-ish.  Captured the look so well for post 1942 NY attack USN service.  :smiley: