Author Topic: 1/500 Bandai SB Yamato 2199  (Read 16537 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
1/500 Bandai SB Yamato 2199
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
Hello once again!
With no sign of my Zacto intakes for the SU-27 - despite the tracking saying it was delivered 08/07, I've made a start to the big "Y". Hmmm - I am hoping someone at work has the intakes and has forgotten to tell me they have it - otherwise that's $100.00 gone! I will not be amused if that is the case.
So, with that delay and my continued and escalated interest in SBY 2199 - especially after finally watching the complete series from start to finish, I have decided to get this underway now. It will be a long term project - like most of my builds, but I am hoping the end result will be worth it.
I have looked at a few builds of this online through my research and am borrowing/stealing a couple of details that I really liked from a couple of different builders - simply because I think they really add something to the final build.

Of course, it goes without saying that this will be fully lit and I have a mate of mine programming the boards for me ready for installation.

So, where have I gotten up to? I started on the engine nozzle. After watching the live action 2199, I was taken by the design of the nozzle (yes I know - small things etc)  and when I was trawling the net looking for references, I came across one fellow who had made them. So, following his design, I made my own one. However, it took me ages to get the first one right - and I thought "bugger making 16 copies of this", so I made a mold of the one I made and will make resin copies of it to ensure uniformity. I am waiting for my resin to arrive which should be tomorrow. I also made the ring at the back of the nozzle. This was surprisingly easy to do considering that when I first looked at it, I thought "how the hell am I going to make that!?" As it turned out, I have a cutting compass, so that made short work of the plastic rings and I used the angles on my cutting mat as an initial guide for the slats. The end result is pleasing - however, I am still undecided whether or not I will use it, or for that matter, if I will go ahead and use the feathers I am about to cast. I do like the box version and at least it's in keeping with the show, but I do like to be a bit more creative with my subjects. the below pictures show how easy it is to make and also show you the one and only feather I made:

Now I turn my attention to another area that I saw on one build that really stood out for me - the funnel - even though it is technically a torpedo/rocket launcher. I have begun by detailing the inside of the funnel like that on the show. The next part however, isn't on the show but it's a feature that I really did like on the build online: is the vertical piping that feeds into the sides. I have just finished making one set of cat walks and am about to begin the lower walks - which is where I am at presently.
I carved a trench on the inside of the top of the funnel for the nav lights and then puttied over them. Once dried, I then sanded them back and now you wouldn't even notice they were there. It also helps that the ribbing on the inside assists in covering them.

So there you have it so far. I will be continuing on with the piping and catwalks tonight. I think I will paint the inside of the funnels now before I proceed any more, and that will also save me masking hassles later on. Then I'll put the funnel together, fill in the seams and add the last part of the detailing and then that area is all done!
From there, I will endeavor to get the engine lighting set up ready for the boards, cast the feathers and then start work on the main superstructure. After that, I'll start on the lighting boxes for the observation decks on the side of the ship, then the fun part - getting the main batteries detailed and lit. The rest of the ship should fall together pretty quickly. I am not going to be adding too much extra surface details like I usually do because I don't think this ship needs any.
As always, thanks for stopping in
MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: 1/500 Bandai SB Yamato 2199
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
And as always, thanks for doing really nice work :D

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
Greetings everyone

Well, it's time for a quick update. The funnel is finished and ready to go on. The LED has been installed inside which will make life a bit easier when it comes time to do the final wiring etc

The cat walks are attached and I must say, they were quite fiddly, but I am happy with the end result

I am still working on the engine exhaust, but to be honest, I am still not entirely convinced I should be doing these. I'm almost tempted to stop casting them and leave it as show standard. I shall ponder it a bit longer

Well, that's it for now. Sorry it's such a small update so hopefully I can make up for it next time

Till then

MH

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »
Well, that's it for now. Sorry it's such a small update so hopefully I can make up for it next time

wrote the Madhatter

What it lacks in size it makes up for in quality. Looking great so far.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
:) Thank you

Well, I got Captain Okita's room done - just needs paint. Man, talk about fiddly! The whole area takes up about 1cm square. My eyes hurt...

Maybe I should've used my magnify lamp but I was lazy
That last image has been cropped which is why it looks a little...odd. That grey stuff on the ledge is only pencil

I will paint the SMD in the back green and then place a very thin piece of plastic over it to disperse the light

Thanks for looking
MH
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:03:54 PM by Madhatter »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
That ... cockpit? ... Captain Okita's Room ... is insane! :icon_surprised:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
Awesome detail. Loved the show. Can't wait to see this progress !! :P
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »
Only if someday I could reach this level of awesome... Terrific detailing!
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Thanks guys
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been quite sick of late
I should have an update soon but I haven't done much because of the above
Hoping to get back into it tonight
MH

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
You know, mate, I though I was suffering a bout of AMS when building the FSBR ... Now? ... I'm not so sure. :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
AMS?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
Advanced Modeller's Syndrome - that state in which too much detail is never enough. ;)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
That really is a lol! Never heard of that until now and it illicited a good laugh.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:10 PM »
Hi everyone

Sorry, this isn't much of an update (if it can be considered one) as I have been quite sick over the past week and it's sucked out all modelling mojo. I am slowly getting it back though so hopefully the next time I post something, it'll be worth it

I have spent 4 hours or so drilling out the barrels ready for the lighting and not all 9 of them are done with the SMD's installed

The reason for doing it that way is so I don't loose the detail from the business end of the barrels
No point taking pictures of all 9 together until they are connected to the main guns and are working. Just need to install the Green SMD's into the range finders and then they can go together.

As I said, sorry for the lame update. Hopefully, the next one will make up for it

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
Hi again

Well, after my last post, I thought I had better post something more worth while looking at.

I am still fighting this miserable cold/flu and am feeling pretty darned crappy, but I have self-prescribed some building time to help get over this self indulged misery.

The superstructure is now built and ready to go on. I still haven't painted Okita's room but I will get to that soon. I also somehow managed to break a barrel from a gun without knowing it and I have no idea where the broken piece has gone to, so I'll have to try and make one

I spent a lot of time drilling out the guns and at this scale, it's harder than it looks. Also, the ends are rounded, so it makes life interesting when trying to place a drill bit square against the surface

I also did a test of Bandai's rather intelligent method of lighting and I mist say, it works rather nicely! Instead of having LED's inside the bridges, it uses clear parts to reflect the light from the bottom of the superstructure. I'll use 2 LED's to give it more intensity

I also carved out a channel for the nav lights to sit in on the winglets that come out in between the first and second bridges. However, I am not sure they will work. This remains to be seen

As you can see, most of this is all straight from the box - there isn't really any need to modify it much at all. Bandai did a fantastic job of rendering the big Y from Anime into model. I will add some bits and bobs here and there but nothing like what I usually do. The hard core purists can breathe a sigh of relieve ;)

Well, that's it for now. I'm going to dry fit the front end of the ship together to see how much space I have and then build the light boxes for the observation decks on the sides. I'm also going to see if I can get the engine LED's wired up ready for the boards and get that job done and dusted now.

I'm also contemplating doing a resin cast of the engine nozzle just to see if I can make the live action version as well - just to see if I can

Till next time

MH

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
The cockpit is insane! Great build overall, too.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
looks awesome.  Nice work

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
greetings once again

Well, I'm feeling somewhat more human again and have managed to get some progress happening.

I managed to cast a great copy of the engine exhaust and finished casting the petals and I even put them onto the nozzle. However, I am glad I took the extra step of casting a copy of the nozzle because I am far from happy with how the final item finished up. It looks terrible! This is all my own fault of course - I should've just made 16 petals from plastic instead of trying to take a short cut and cast the others because I ended with varying thicknesses of resin and this led to a wonky final result. Well, it was worth a try and at least I can say I gave it a go!

I even had a small moment of triumph when I successfully managed to get nav lights into the wing behind the funnel. I realised that the panel line that runs at the rear of the support also connects with the rear line of the wing, so I carved out the lines and ran a fiber through it and down the support into the base. The fiber even produced light at the end. I was chuffed! But, I  swear I am destined not to have nav lights in this beast because this afternoon I accidentally knocked the superstructure off it's perch and it managed to break the wing from the support and snap the fibers. So no nav lights there, unless I  rip it all apart and try again, which would be a PITA because I had also added detail to the support and if I was to take it all apart again, I would loose the detailing. It wasn't fun getting it all on there to start with. Needless to say, that happiness that I had achieved something some said to be impossible vanished in an instant.

Still, life goes on and so does this build. I managed to get the lighting into the third bridge and that is now constructed ready to go on. The fibers run right through the middle and it was fun threading it all through in a nice straight line.....not.

I also have worked out how to get the SMD's into the range finders for the main batteries and have done 4 out of 6 with the last 2 soon to be done. this is very fiddly work with the SMD's having a hard time being glued to the rear of the range finder wall. Again, my patience gets tested but the results are worth it.

The observation deck light boxes are also together and ready for the LED's to go in. I will do that tomorrow

And last but not least, the engine LED disc is done but no sign yet of the LED's that are to go onto it. I expect them to arrive in the next couple of days. once the arrive, I should be able to get them on easily enough (famous last words)

Well, that's it for now, but thanks for looking

MH

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
I see why you go by MADhatter, the detail is amazing. :o
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
^ Wot he said!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
time for a quick update. I have been busy finishing off the main batteries and getting the very small amount of detail added to those. I'm happy with them and they are ready to go onto the ship and be plugged into the boards when they arrive:

Now, for the part that took me about 4 hours to do -the engine lights. ***WARNING - if you are an Electrical engineer/Electrician - then you may want to look away now as the next few images are not pretty.

But they work!!

They will be split into 3 groups of 4 and will operate in a circular motion as you will see soon.  I won't lie - it was very challenging for me to get 12 LED's each with their own resistor into a circle only 2cm in diameter. But now that they're done, I can relax and move onto other things.

I have done other stuff but nothing worth taking pictures of just yet.

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »
I re-did the engine rig because it looked terrible and was in dire straights of shorting. I think it looks much prettier now :)

Isn't it great that the more times you do something the better you become at it. Instead of 4 hours total to make this one, it took me 2 from start to finish.

MH

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Very nice. You're a regular Tony Stark.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »
greetings everyone

Time for a small update. I have finally gotten round to installing the lights in the smaller engines. I would like to have placed a frosted clear disc over the hole at the base of the insert, but space does not allow for this, so I had to put the 5mm LED inside it. As I said, I would much preferred to have the LED hidden, but I just couldn't make that work. The insert is painted in Alclad Durillium as is the inside of the main engine nozzle - just because I think it looks cooler than plain 'ol grey. I haven't finished painting the outside of the nozzle just yet, so pics of that later:

The observation decks have had their light boxes installed and are working just fine:

The super structure has been base painted in Dark Sea Gray - a move away form the blued tinged grey of what's in the show (Never really a fan of that colour). I'm sure the die hard fans will have kittens :D I just need to do some weathering on it and I'll consider it done. I also broke yet another barrel off a gun and lost it to the great carpet monster, so that'll have to be considered battle damage :)

Well, that's it for now, will be back again soon with another update

thanks for looking

Oh yes, I have noticed I have a new member title. I don't object - I just don't know if I would consider it to accurate :) I just like to tinker....

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
greetings once again

Thought I would show you the finished pics of the superstructure - it is now weathered and ready to be installed. I used pigments and very lightly dry brushed it  I really like how it's come out - even the wife commented on it, so it must be alright :)

The engine is also finished and ready to be installed. I loosely attached it to the body mostly so I could see how it was all going to go in. Because I am not putting any detail inside it, I'll have plenty of room. The lights are not that bright because I realised the battery is pretty much flat. I attached a fresh one before and almost blinded myself.

The decking is also painted and weathered lightly and is ready to accept the main batteries. I just need to paint them first and then they're ready to go in too.

Well. that's it for now, but thanks for looking

MH