Modelling > Group and Themed Builds

2016 Group Build Poll

<< < (9/9)

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: ADRoberts on December 23, 2015, 02:29:20 PM ---As the member above, I wonder if it would it be possible to have a bit more information as to what the scope of the different builds will be?

Just wondering. No Hurry. Sometime today would be good...  ;)

--- End quote ---

As stated in the very first post of this thread, if you want more info on any GB suggestion, have a look here (the order of the voting options is pretty much the same order the GB ideas were posted) or simply ask.

That said, as you will see, I have combined a few options into the Scifi GB since there were many that all could be considered to be similar in general theme.

taiidantomcat:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on December 23, 2015, 02:52:14 AM ---Ok folks,

The results are in and the bribes errr votes counted.  The proposed GB calendar for the coming year is:

1 Feb - 31 Mar:  Scifi and related GB - note that the Science Fiction GB was one of the equally placed firsts in the poll.  I have made it first since there were a number of similar (e.g. Mars GB, Earth Left Behind GB etc) that were also highly placed.  I figure this GB could cover off on most of these.
1 Apr - 31 May: Gunships GB - was equally placed first in the poll.
1 Jun - 31 July:  The annual "non-military" GB - as mentioned right at the start and following on from a poll done earlier this year, this one was already penciled in.
1 Aug - 30 Sep:  Scaleorama GB - ok, this one potentially presents a slight issue as it will be presumably difficult to allow profilers/story writers to participate.  I will propose that a parallel GB be run at the same time as this one to allow for equal participation.  Stand by for separate poll related to this.
1 Oct - 30 Nov: Treadhead/Armour GB
1 Dec - 31 Jan:  Annual Clear your workbenches GB - another that was already penciled in.

--- End quote ---

I really like this, I think it works and I think everyone picked some great stuff.  :) Just hope I can jump into the ones I want, Have an idea for pretty much all of them

Weaver:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on December 25, 2015, 03:11:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: finsrin on December 23, 2015, 12:57:43 PM ---> Gunships -- Be something unarmed by original design Land-Sea-Air that was gunned up or is it aircraft only ?   Gunned up hydroplane or Titanic or bus ?
                     Be originally a bomber converted to no longer drop bombs, missiles, etc, and now is all gun armed ?   Such as Wellington, B-36, Tu-16 gun ship.
                     No hurry, have three months to define.

--- End quote ---

The original post was:

--- Quote from: Weaver on September 28, 2015, 08:49:57 AM ---Gunships GB - any aircraft with sideways-firing guns.

--- End quote ---

It will ultimately be up to the GB Moderator to define the rules etc though.  Speaking of which, if anyone wants to volunteer to be a GB Moderator, please feel free to contact me.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking specifically of AC-130 style things. The term 'gunship' is a bit of a moveable feast at the best of times: it gets applied to just about any armed helicopter, for instance, whether it's got a couple of door guns or a couple of dozen ATGWs.

I wouldn't limit it to 'originally unarmed' since you could make a gunship-style aircraft out of a bomber, or even a slowish fighter (wasn't there a Russian bomber prototype with a bazillion SMGs in the bomb bay?)

I can see how you might apply it to some non-aircraft subjects, but I can also see great difficulty in defining what's in and what's out. I don't think we should be afraid to narrow the scope of a GB where it's appropriate: if we were doing a space rockets GB, for example, there'd be little scope for warship models, and we have/have had ship, armour and non-military GBs, all of which by definition exclude some categories of models. For that reason, I'd say stick fairly closely to something like:

'Gunship = an aircraft with fixed or limited-traverse guns fitted to fire at a large angle (over 45 deg) to the long axis of the airframe, for the purpose of attacking surface targets. It can have other weapons that fall outside these limits, but the side-firing guns must be the main weapon.'

taiidantomcat:

--- Quote from: Weaver on December 25, 2015, 07:42:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on December 25, 2015, 03:11:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: finsrin on December 23, 2015, 12:57:43 PM ---> Gunships -- Be something unarmed by original design Land-Sea-Air that was gunned up or is it aircraft only ?   Gunned up hydroplane or Titanic or bus ?
                     Be originally a bomber converted to no longer drop bombs, missiles, etc, and now is all gun armed ?   Such as Wellington, B-36, Tu-16 gun ship.
                     No hurry, have three months to define.

--- End quote ---

The original post was:

--- Quote from: Weaver on September 28, 2015, 08:49:57 AM ---Gunships GB - any aircraft with sideways-firing guns.

--- End quote ---

It will ultimately be up to the GB Moderator to define the rules etc though.  Speaking of which, if anyone wants to volunteer to be a GB Moderator, please feel free to contact me.

--- End quote ---

'Gunship = an aircraft with fixed or limited-traverse guns fitted to fire at a large angle (over 45 deg) to the long axis of the airframe, for the purpose of attacking surface targets. It can have other weapons that fall outside these limits, but the side-firing guns must be the main weapon.'

--- End quote ---

I was thinking helicopters and "gun nosed" aircraft  for my entry...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version