Author Topic: 1/12 R/C (X)CVMR Mk. 1  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
1/12 R/C (X)CVMR Mk. 1
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
This is something I've been working on quite slowly for the past few months as a school project. The idea is a hypothetical AFV from the 1980s, following on from such designs as the Chieftain CTR and Kanonenjagdpanzer. The backstory is that the Bundeswehr, British Army, Swedish Army and Belgian Army proposed a joint effort to design a new family of vehicles in the (Experimental) Combat Vehicle - Multiple Role program. Development began with two vehicles, a casemated guntank and a conventional IFV. The two vehicles were designed to use the same hull and thus simplify manufacturing. Modularity was the word of the day, with the vehicle intended to be able to be set up in different ways for different operators or missions.

The model is currently in a pretty early state, aesthetically, with the functional (R/C) parts being much closer to completion. The shape is, admittedly, much simpler than I would've liked, but, hey, woodworking isn't easy, especially when all you have to work with is the remains of someone's shed and a case of wine (not the wine, the case itself. My parents drank the wine).

1/12 pic1 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

This is what it looked like before Christmas, nothing has changed externally but I've started drilling holes for various things and building suspension units. After averaging two hours to a unit from the first four, I'm starting to regret going with seven road wheels per side...
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: 1/12 R/C (X)CVMR Mk. 1
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:07:16 AM »
Interesting and full of potential. Now if you do an arctic scheme that ts pre weathered!😁
I’ve never seen an RC model built from wood so carry on. This will be awesome!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
wow ! Size does matter

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »
Got some work done on this yesterday, drilling the holes for the suspension and gun barrel. I only had a 14mm masonry bit to hand, making progress slow (and starting a few small fires), but nothing too serious occurred.

1/12no2 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

The gun barrel will of course be cut down, but having sawed 14 75mm lengths of pipe in the preceding couple of hours I couldn't be bothered at the time. I'm also planning to make a mantlet cover to hide the gaping hole in the front where the barrel is mounted.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »
Very interesting project!

1/12 is a manly scale for sure, but why did you choose it, instead of the more common 1/16 or 1/10?

I hope you get an excellent grade, if it still for school purposes :)

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 10:43:05 PM »
The reason I went with 1/12 is cause I’ve already got some 1/12 scale figures and some things from the TomyTec Little Armory series (one of which is gonna be the pintle gun).

I was also originally planning to make it from sheet metal, and at 1/12 the piece of sheet metal I had was the perfect size.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »
That's one huge project and my hat's off to you working in such a large scale, Mr Duck.

I find larger subjects especially challenging so I'm watching with a fair bit of awe.

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »
... 1/12 is a manly scale for sure ...

Not the only manly thing about this project  :o

... (and starting a few small fires), but nothing too serious occurred...

Looking forward to the rest of this build  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."