Author Topic: V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor  (Read 5624 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »

Navy Buys First V-22 CODs,  CMV-22, as Part of $4.2B Award to Bell-Boeing. 39 have been ordered.

https://news.usni.org/2018/07/02/navy-awards-bell-boeing-4-2-billion-contract-modification-for-74-v-22-osprey-tiltrotor-aircraft
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:51:41 AM »
It is about time to have a separate topic/folder on just the V-22 Osprey.  What better way to kick it off by having Carl's (TheBigGimper) post be the OP for this discussion of all things related to the V-22 Osprey and variations on that theme. 

A long time coming and separating all of the V-22 Osprey portions from the Tilt-Rotor topic proved to be on par with impossible or close to sorting fly bits from pepper. 

I am curious to learn more about this COD variant and how well it will work for this mission.  I am aware that there are some limitations on what it can carry but it will certainly make COD to the LHA and LHD class amphibious assault ships a possibility. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
One of the biggest aspects is extended range relative to the MV-22B and CV-22B.  Bell has managed to add additional tankage in the wing so you get more range without added drag (you don't want to see the concepts that were discarded).  Now, if some of the other proposals get accepted, there could be further growth in all variants.

If you really wanted an "out there" Mid-Life Update, go with a new wing and nacelle structure derived from that of the V280, once that has been proven through testing.  Such a change could open up several avenues for further V-22 development.  Since the overall wing and nacelle assembly is attached to the fuselage as one, it would be reasonably possible to do something like that.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
First Spy photo of the CMV-22.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
I was reading over on SPF, in the HMS Q.E.II & P.o.W thread, they were testing USMC V-22's landing and taking off from Q.E.II (there's some photos of them)  A poster had attached a link which said that the RN had no plans on buying the V-22, but that the reason for the testing was because USMC V-22's would be used for COD operations because it could carry and deliver a F-35B engine should one be needed.  I'm assuming that it would be the CMV-22 being used for that purpose.

Now I had always wonder about the size of the V-22's cabin, you can't get any vehicles into it except some specially designed ones. But now the note about it able to carry a F135 engine, things begin to come clearer --
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:45:46 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Burncycle

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 02:09:42 PM »
Would be interesting to see a pair of F-35 like engine pods (with vertical fan and articulating tailpipe) on the wingtips instead of the large propellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBjPWoXtQc

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 04:16:09 AM »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
Looks like they've bulged the fuel tanks in the forward portion of the sponsons.  That should make an interesting conversion.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 07:29:57 AM »
It looks like the sponsons are wider Evan.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
It looks like the sponsons are wider Evan.
Front portion looks deeper, too.  I rather suspect the forward portion of each sponson has been made wider and deeper to carry more fuel.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 02:37:27 AM »
So it has fat thighs... ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 01:27:23 AM »
Cue foaming at the mouth in certain Oz political circles.  ;D :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 02:38:21 AM »
Better image of above:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:14:58 AM »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
I wonder if some of the mods for the CMV-22B would be carried over to a PV-22B or SV-22B that could operate from more than just the big decks to protect the battle group.  I'm really tempted to model such based on art work from when the V-22 was new and on some testing since then.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 02:25:15 AM »
I wonder if some of the mods for the CMV-22B would be carried over to a PV-22B or SV-22B that could operate from more than just the big decks to protect the battle group.  I'm really tempted to model such based on art work from when the V-22 was new and on some testing since then.

Maybe you can shed some light on this, but why did the DoD choose to abandon all sense of continuity when designating all of the Osprey variants?

USMC variant, replacing the CH-46 and serving in a medium lift role between the UH-1 and CH-53. Role? Pick up Marines and put them down. Designation? CV-22, UV-22? Nope. MV-22B.
Why?! Because it's so capable I guess. You don't just carry Marines. You can also carry boxes...of things...theoretically you could carry...bananas, I guess. Ugh, whatever. Multi-role it is.

Moving on, USAF variant. Replacing the MH-53 (rebuilt HH-53), serving alongside the HH-60 and HC-130. Proud follow on to a long line of Jolly Green aircraft: HH-43, HH-3, HH-53. Designation? HV-22. No, that's out because someone wrote that on a napkin and slipped it to a Navy officer at a working lunch back in the '90s. Instead we're going with CV-22B. C. For "Cargo". Which the CV-22 will never carry in USAF service. Because it was bought for inserting special operations teams and rescuing downed airmen. But some of those special operators may bring extra ammunitions or a radio with them, so we'll just think of that as "cargo". Fine. Whatever.

USN is back and now they want something to replace the C-2. A cargo hauler. That's straightforward, at least. Great, we'll just use...what's that? Taken you say? Fine, we'll use a miscellaneous designator since it will likely perform multiple roles, too. What's that now? That's taken too? Well crap. We could use UV-22, but I want something that reflects the decades of multiple personality disorder that has characterized Navy designations. A follow on to the proud legacy of the PBY Catalina, SBD Dauntless, and F/A-18 Hornet. CMV-22B. Because what could be more confusing than just combining the only two designations in use?

I'm no fan of McNamara, but I think another aircraft designation/rationalization is called for.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 03:37:47 AM »

Maybe you can shed some light on this, but why did the DoD choose to abandon all sense of continuity when designating all of the Osprey variants?

Most likely because they can and folk assigning designations seem to have no logic.  I blame LBJ because this started when the RS-71 became the SR-71 when he mis-stated the designation in a speech.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 06:58:41 AM »
RS-71....mumble a bit and you get Arse-71.  ;D Nah, good call on LBJ's part, I'd say.  ;)

<...> CMV-22B. Because what could be more confusing than just combining the only two designations in use?<...>

Logan, what's your idea for the Multi-purpose (resuce, surveillance, boarding...) Cutter-borne version for the Coast Guard?  :P

SOURCE
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »
Since it could also be used for aero-medical evacuation, obviously a MHV-22B  >:D

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 01:32:21 AM »
Everyone anymore wants their aircraft to be all-singing, all-dancing. This got stupid when they renamed the F-22 to "F/A-22" for three really stupid years early in its career.

This reminds me of some departments I've worked with in my career. There are many times that I've asked what the PRIMARY function of a department is or the PRIMARY job that a particular employee performs only to be told six unrelated tasks that I'm assured are ally given equal importance and am assured are all vital to the organizations function. This generally a sign that (at best), somebody doesn't understand what they do or (at worst), the work they're being asked to do isn't all that vital.

You need to understand what the PRIMARY function of a given thing is. It can change, it can evolve, that's fine, but you should be able to compare and evaluate multiple possibilities and determine what is the most important. That's a measure of one's judgment.

Given the Osprey's various designations, I'm definitely questioning the judgment of the various staffers in the DoD.

RS-71....mumble a bit and you get Arse-71.  ;D Nah, good call on LBJ's part, I'd say.  ;)

<...> CMV-22B. Because what could be more confusing than just combining the only two designations in use?<...>

Logan, what's your idea for the Multi-purpose (resuce, surveillance, boarding...) Cutter-borne version for the Coast Guard?  :P

SOURCE

Given the fact that the USCG's HH-60 Jayhawk and HH-65 Dolphin really aren't rescue helicopters anymore, but have evolved into their final form as the MH-60 and MH-65, respectively, then there's no reason to think a Coast Guard Osprey would ever be pigeon-holed into rescuing someone. Unfortunately--as we've established--MV-22 is already taken. The only solution is to add more letters in the arms race to show that you're even MORE multi-mission than the other services. So, logically, the only reasonable designation is MCMV-22B or, as a concession to the USCG's heritage, maybe the MHMCMV-22B+. I mean, that's just straight logic.  :-\

Cheers,

Logan