Author Topic: 1/144 CIA 47 Photo/ELINT platform  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/144 CIA 47 Photo/ELINT platform
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »
What led up to our current terrible condition is the stuff of legend.

Far less known is a bit of nuclear brinksmanship that would have far-reaching consequences.

At the center was a new aircraft, the CIA-47.

It all started when the President went against his own cabinet and sent CIA recon flights over the U.S.S.R.

Things did not go well. The Soviets didn't know the aircraft were unarmed and thinking they were bombers, went on full nuclear alert. This caused the U.S. to go on alert as well. The President, known for his love of all things Scandinavian, was forced to evacuate his sauna in only a towel. Once the alert was over, the mood remained tense.

To say the CIA Director was under immense pressure over the recon flights would be putting it mildly.

The upshot was a Presidential order that all CIA spy planes be clearly marked so the Soviets wouldn't confuse them with bombers if spotted. Hidden in the new markings budget were funds so the CIA could have its own, dedicated recon platform. The good people of Boeing got to work.

After a healthy amount of billable man hours were accrued by the Boeing Design Dept., the mixed-propulsion Boeing CIA 47 was presented and ordered into production right off the drawing board.

Boeing tweaked their famous B-47 to be powered by four Major F Sharp Minor engines in push-pull configuration with the added power of two large wingtip jets. Not only would the jets help add speed and ceiling, but mounted as they were, they also provided outstanding yaw control which is invaluable in a recon platform.

The CIA was thrilled to finally have a plane it could call its own. The new CIA 47 offered exceptional range and could loiter on station almost as needed. Outfitted with the best cameras and electronic interception gear, soon the CIA was once again gathering valuable intelligence from behind (and above) the Iron Curtain.

While flight crew appreciated the new aircraft, the bold, new CIA markings took a little getting used to.

However, the pilots were used to overcoming adversity and bravely soldiered on.

The CIA got good at invading enemy airspace in their state-of-the-art photo recon/ELINT bird. Their top-secret missions remained unmolested by the Red Air Force.

As events would soon prove, pride goeth before a fall.

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:08:14 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/144 CIA 47 Photo/ELINT platform
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »
A month before the Presidential election, the navigation system on a CIA 47 failed.

The off-course plane ended out over-flying every Eastern Bloc capital city at low altitude. The Soviet Premier protested bitterly on behalf of the entire Comintern at the U.N., excoriating the provocative boldness of the running dog west and the U.S. in particular.

The President answered this withering attack with a mix of apologia and good lawyering. When it came out that all the Red Air Forces could easily determine the invading aircraft were unarmed by their big-as-a-house CIA tail markings, international sympathy for the U.S. replaced anger. The President replied to the Soviet Premier by saying he was capable of being just as sorry and furthermore, was even sorrier for a state of affairs that led almost to the extinction of the human race. This brought the entire U.N. assembly to its feet, applauding wildly.

This victory in the court of world opinion led to an electoral victory for the President as well. And we know how that ended out.

And to think we have the CIA 47 to thank for it all...

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:02:09 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »
Alright, Brian, I have to be honest. I REALLY like many of your designs because they're fun and interesting, but not quite as often because they're pretty. This modification, however, is VERY attractive. Very nice!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:07:17 AM »
This all started with the wonderful 1/144 Hobbycraft B-47.

I'm sorry to learn that these are getting harder and harder to find. Sadly, I'm afraid they might be out of production.

I didn't let this hold me back! After playing around with a lot of different options, it seemed using drop-tanks coupled with some of my last white-metal Aeroclub props as push-pull engines might give this old bird a new look. The 707 wingtip jets added just the right amount of whimsy.

I tacked on fins cut from 1/72 bombs and F-86 drop tanks. The two ventral ones set at an angle are orphan 1/144 pylons from the spares box.

I scratched the winky enxhausts from sprue and 1/72 oil coolers were added as intakes for the pusher engines.

Before paint but after these photos, I glued a 1/72 Mosquito radar antenna to the tail and modified the nose probe.

The entire model is brush-painted by hand in acrylics. The U.S. stars-and-bars were from the kit decals and the numbers and bang seat warnings are from a B-58 sheet.

The rest were cobbled together from spares. I used cockpit window outlines as camera port hatches on the nose.

The CIA titles were the hardest and took a couple of tries and a lot of re-arranging to get so they looked ok. If they seem off, blame the ticked off USAF ground crew borrowed to re-mark the CIA birds.

I had a lot of fun building this model which I've been working on on-and-off for the last two weeks or so.

A tip o' the lid to Jeff Fontaine for contributing a thorough analysis of how wingtip jets would improve yaw control which I liberally borrowed for the back story. Kudos again to Jeff & Bill for taking the time to consult with me on this concept.

I hope you like it and enjoyed reading about more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:08:53 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:13:02 AM »
Love the push-pull engines!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »
Four turning and two burning !

That works for me and the backstory..... just terrific

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
Nice model... :-*

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »
You're a genius Mr Da Basha, well done!!  8) 8) Absurdity rules the political waves!! ;D ;D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
Life sometimes imitates art.  If you read Yefim Gordon's book on Soviet Air Defences there are references to numerous USAF RB-47 overflights over the fUSSR during the 1950 and even into the 1960s.  The PVO was simply unable to fly as high or as fast as the RB-47 and hence unable to intercept.  They overflew at various times most of Ukraine and Western, Northern and Southern Russia from bases in the US, UK, Turkey and Pakistan/Iran.   It spurred the Russians to develop ever faster and higher flying interceptors and SAMs.

Another lovely model, Brian.  I love the references to Muffley.  ;)

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
Excellent stuff.  Top bit of reading there and a very attractive airframe to boot !   ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 04:15:08 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.