Author Topic: Mythical Mustangs of the U.S. Navy  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Mythical Mustangs of the U.S. Navy
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »

While the North American P-51 is one of the most famous fighters that ever flew, far less known is the U.S Navy version of the Mustang designated XFJX-51P which was evaluated at the end of World War II.

Had the aircraft entered service it would've been given the name Maverick.

The fighter was fully adapted for carrier service with a reinforced structure, folding wings and a fully retractable tail wheel & hook.

The U.S. Navy was prejudiced against aircraft with inline engines, finding air-cooled radials much easier to maintain and never took the idea of a carrier-based version of the Mustang seriously.

Under political pressure, the Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics reluctantly agreed to a trial program anyway, cynical as to the aircraft's viability for ship-board service. The P-51 was lauded by the Army Air Force and the Navy always doubted the Army's decision-making ability.

North American only built fifteen XFJX-51Ps and the last of the series, number 15 ironically, is shown here in Naval Aircraft Test Center markings.

An experimental three-bladed Curtiss propeller was fitted which seemed to offer cost-saving benefits since there was one less blade to pay for. Unfortunately, it hampered performance and was not adopted.

Just as the Navy "Maverick" Mustang would never be adopted either. The sole survivor was gleefully tested to destruction by Navy personnel seething with inter-service rivaly and it was written off in 1948.

Nothing remains of this promising Mustang development except this overly-optimistic desk model which was briefly filmed for the Antiques Roadshow where its value was appraised at 49 cents. Unfortunately that segment was left on the cutting room floor and the footage no longer exists.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:05:32 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Mythical Mustangs of the U.S. Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:27:27 PM »
Just superb Mr. DaBasher, great Mustang abuse  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »
This all started with yet another 1/72 Heller P-51D Mustang a good friend sent me (thanks a million, hamsterman!) and this one actually came in a box!

You've got to admit, that's some impressive box art. Can't you just feel the drama? Will our Mustang hero make it back in one piece? Will my model make it back in one piece too?

For better or worse, it did, thank goodness. There's no in-progress shots as the only mod was using an Airfix P-40C prop instead of that pricey, 4-bladed one that came with the kit. I also added the fin filet hoping the dark color scheme would help obscure the join. Except for the prop & decals, this one was OOB.

These Heller Mustangs are great! While totally 1970's vintage, they build up nice & easy. Only a half an hour in and I had it all together. Then it was off to the paint shop.

The old hairy stick was loaded up with a boatload of Model Masters Insignia Blue acrylic. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Poly Scale RLM-something Lichtblau. The anti-glare strip (absolutely crucial on dark aircraft) was done with Model Masters Flat Black. The exhausts were painted Model Masters Jet Exhaust and a custom mix was used on the guns.

Decals were a hodge-podge. The stars-and-bars and NATC markings came from a dodgy Meircraft F6U Pirate sheet that's got to be at least 30 years old. The numbers came from a Hobby Boss Wildcat and the warning placards are Penn Central railroad decals. I don't know if you can make it out, but the ones under the wings say "Close and Lock Door Before Moving". This was to denote the manual wing-fold mechanism for carrier deck crew.

Before I forget, here's the "money shot" (U.S. penny for scale).

Once again, this was built in another "old guy's" blitz. I started Thursday evening and finished it last night. I'd like to thank Bill for his kindness in sending me the kit. I couldn't have done it without him!

I hope you enjoyed the U.S. Navy version of the famous Mustang and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" think it all comes from the imagination of some kind of mental maverick.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:13:19 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:17:28 PM »
I couldn’t help but laugh at the phrase ‘seething with inter-service rivalry’...
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:06:24 AM »
Beautiful rendition and excellent backstory (I am surprised you didn't work a poster from the movie version of Maverick in there, too).  Funny thing is, reality (puny reed that it is) does show that the USN experimented with navalized Mustangs.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Modeling Mythicals
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 04:34:49 AM »
Mustangs, Spitfires, Bf 109s in particular been perennial alternative anything modeling favorites partially because kits are ubiquitious well as relatively inexpensive. If ever I'll build such alternatives will do so with old Airfix & Revell kits as they're Spartan well as inaccurate though meantime will finish off my FROG Macchi C.202 "what if" builds, may do one late this year or early next. I'd still like to build one last 1/72 scale Monogram P-51B, did a decent one c.1980.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:37:56 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 04:43:54 AM »
  Funny thing is, reality (puny reed that it is) does show that the USN experimented with navalized Mustangs.

Indeed:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
Carries Navy blue well.  Even if three blades were not swift compared to four, the spinner looks swifter.  Color and decals are conviencing USN.  :smiley: