Author Topic: TDN aircraft  (Read 4327 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
TDN aircraft
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
Discovered this airplane today.  Did not know about it and likely many of you didn't either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Aircraft_Factory_TDN

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: TDN aircraft
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Yeah, I've seen the one they still have one at the Naval Air Museum.  Neat plane!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
I'd seen it, thought the "TDN" meant Target Drone... never knew it was meant for attacks. Kinda neat.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »
Looked it up on Wikipedia and followed the links. Came across this:

Interstate XBDR

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:53:09 AM »
Found this thread over at Secret Projects.

I am sure our in-house on-call Uber Engineer Evan (elmayerly ) can summarize this report for us.  ;)

Reisert, Thomas. "Tests of a 1/17-Scale Model of the XBDR-1 Airplane in the NACA Gust Tunnel", NACA Report WR-L-539, 1944
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »
As usual, Wiki is WRONG.

From the diary of STAG-1, the unit that developed & used TDR-1s ...

"The first attack was conducted on 30 July 1944, on a derelict Japanese freighter, the YAMAZAKI MARU, that had grounded itself near Cape Esperance on Guadalcanal Island in the Solomons. Six TDR-1s, with four intended for the attack and two as backups, were committed to the attack, all armed with 2,000 lb bombs. Two crashed on takeoff, two performed attacks that were frustrated by dud bombs, but two went off with very impressive bangs. It made for great film footage, but by that time the program's standing was so low that they had to lobby very hard just to keep the program from being cancelled.

From 27 September 1944, STAG-1 conducted a series of attacks on Japanese installations on the island of Bougainville. When the attacks ended on 26 October 1944, STAG-1 had expended 46 TDR-1s in combat, with 37 performing attacks and at least 21 hitting their targets. The Japanese found the attacks startling, believing that the Americans had taken up suicide attacks."

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:00:16 AM »
Are you sure that first one didn't come out of an IKEA catalogue?  ;)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »
Found this thread over at Secret Projects.

I am sure our in-house on-call Uber Engineer Evan (elmayerly ) can summarize this report for us.  ;)

Reisert, Thomas. "Tests of a 1/17-Scale Model of the XBDR-1 Airplane in the NACA Gust Tunnel", NACA Report WR-L-539, 1944

Well, if I'm understanding it correctly (and it's been a while since I've worked much on the analytical side of things), it's saying that the aircraft's sensitivity to gusts is exceedingly depending on cg position and that you really, really don't want to move the cg farther aft than 20% of the wing chord at the centerline of the aircraft since that makes it much more sensitive to gusts and puts it much closer to instability.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Re: TDN and TDR aircraft
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:14 AM »
As usual, Wiki is WRONG.

From the diary of STAG-1, the unit that developed & used TDR-1s ...

"The first attack was conducted on 30 July 1944, on a derelict Japanese freighter, the YAMAZAKI MARU, that had grounded itself near Cape Esperance on Guadalcanal Island in the Solomons. Six TDR-1s, with four intended for the attack and two as backups, were committed to the attack, all armed with 2,000 lb bombs. Two crashed on takeoff, two performed attacks that were frustrated by dud bombs, but two went off with very impressive bangs. It made for great film footage, but by that time the program's standing was so low that they had to lobby very hard just to keep the program from being cancelled.

From 27 September 1944, STAG-1 conducted a series of attacks on Japanese installations on the island of Bougainville. When the attacks ended on 26 October 1944, STAG-1 had expended 46 TDR-1s in combat, with 37 performing attacks and at least 21 hitting their targets. The Japanese found the attacks startling, believing that the Americans had taken up suicide attacks."

Mmm, no. The Wiki entry on the TDN is correct, you are quoting the operational use of the TDR.
Two different machines. The Wiki entry on the TDR mentions the operations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_TDR

BTW Molt Taylor of Aerocar fame worked on the Navy drone programs.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014