Author Topic: More Sea Ducks!  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
More Sea Ducks!
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:30:53 AM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

Procured as a replacement for Pan Am's Sikorsky S-38, the Conwing L-16 served in the airmail, feeder, and route pioneering roles as its predecessor. While it would never achieve the fame of its bigger, clipper cousins, the L-16 was a reliable, popular aircraft in Pan Am service.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
Re: More Sea Ducks!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
 :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:23 PM »
This is great!!  :)

Can't wait to see more Sea Ducks!

STRONG HINT^
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »
Thanks, guys! This is going to be the "standard" template for the Sea Duck from now on. There are a number of differences from the "Talespin" Sea Duck.

• The "headlights" were removed. They would be impractical on most actual aircraft since human pilots don't need to do things like fly through volcanoes as often as anthropomorphic bears.
  • The interior color was changed from the "Soviet" teal seen in the "Sea Duck" to a more typical gray.
  • The "dive brakes" (though we changed them to droops) were removed.
  • An exhaust was added behind the engine, modeled after that seen on the Boeing 314.
  • The lighting was redone to be more realistic. The Talespin Sea Duck's lighting levels were adjusted to make the colors match the show. The shadows were about half as dark as I would normally make them. For this profile, they're much darker, matching most of my other profiles (about 60% opacity). The lighting is also about double, but that's a function of the silver paint more so than anything and standard matte paint will go back to the much more subtle lighting.

I kept the manufacturer the same fictitious "Conwing" since it sounds real enough. The "NC-17990" registration is in line with many of Pan Am's other aircraft of that period.

http://www.logbookmag.com/databases/articles.asp?ID=91&CatID=47

It is, however, also a subtle reference to the original air date for one of the early Talespin episodes.

Thanks,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »

• The interior color was changed from the "Soviet" Thembria teal seen in the "Sea Duck" to a more typical gray.

;D

Seriously though, great explanation on the changes

I kept the manufacturer the same fictitious "Conwing" since it sounds real enough. The "NC-17990" registration is in line with many of Pan Am's other aircraft of that period.

It is, however, also a subtle reference to the original air date for one of the early Talespin episodes.

Damn clever  :)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:27:10 AM by taiidantomcat »

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:18 AM »
Actually, it's Thembria. Colonel Spigot has a speech impediment, but he does get his country name right. Actually, there's some clever naming going on there. The main antagonists in the show are "Thembria", while Cape Suzette is located in "Usland".

Cheers,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:59:36 AM »
Actually, it's Thembria. Colonel Spigot has a speech impediment, but he does get his country name right. Actually, there's some clever naming going on there. The main antagonists in the show are "Thembria", while Cape Suzette is located in "Usland".

Cheers,

Logan

I changed it but not before you caught it  ;) My mistake

-David Fincher