Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Establishment S.E. 105 Lightning  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Royal Aircraft Establishment S.E. 105 Lightning
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:34:48 AM »

A pivotal aircraft of the Great Fifty Years' War, the R.A.E. (Royal Aircraft Establishment) S.E. (Scouting Experimental) 105 "Lightning" was powered by a Sunbeam Sapphire XXL engine providing a top speed of Macaulay 2.1 or 1,300 mph (2,100 km/h) at 35,000 ft. on after-burners.

The S.E. 105 was armed with two 30 mm Enfield cannons and four DeHavilland Red Fox missiles when used for interception. It had under-wing hard points for carrying bombs or rockets in the ground attack role. Extra fuel tanks could also be fitted, but these were only used for ferrying the aircraft as ranges over the western front were quite short.

The area behind the cockpit held the modular electronics suite which was easily accessed by a removable rear canopy, a feature much appreciated by hard-pressed ground crew. This space contained a command cockpit for an instructor on the trainer version.

The R.A.E. S.E. 105 was the last in a long line that began with the venerable S.E. 5.

The Lightning luckily entered service in strength just prior to the 43rd battle of the Marne where it was crucial in wresting air superiority away from the enemy. This battle was a key turning point that finally led to an end to the conflict.

Unfortunately, the R.A.E. S.E. 105 Lightning would not survive long past the Armistice and the last one was scrapped due to advanced structural fatigue shortly after the peace treaty was signed in the magnificent Hall of Tiles at the Palais des Tuileries.

None of these pivotal aircraft survive today although there is a replica on display at the R.A.E. museum annex in Barnswallow where so-called experts continue to argue if its olive/khaki paint is an accurate representation of the famous wartime RAF PC 100.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:00:39 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Royal Aircraft Establishment S.E. 105 Lightning
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »
This all began when a good friend sent me a venerable Airfix/MPC English Electric Lightning (thanks a million, hamsterman!). You've got to admit, that's some mighty fine box art.

Airfix rarely disappoints here and what's inside the box will only disappoint those unfamiliar with early Airfix kits.

Sure it's pretty basic, but Airfix usually gets the general shape right as well as most of the other significant features. My kit was so well engineered that on the fuselage & burner can, I didn't need glue.

As you might remember, I needed a new intake and shock cone to replace the kit parts that were terribly mis-applied on another model.

A left-over cowl ring from a Fiat CR-42 came to the rescue as did the tip of a 1/144 U-2 pod.

I was pleased how much this resembled the sleeker nose profile of the E.E. Lightning prototype, even if this isn't the most flattering angle.

I also had to replace the kit canopy which went missing. I'm having a terrible track-record with those things lately. Luckily, a Drakken sent by my friend had a spare canopy which didn't fit too badly.

The wings and horiz. stabs. were swiped from F-100s and I feel lucky I ended up with two sets of wings so I could biplane this sucker.

The model was painted by hand in acrylics using the old hairy stick. Polly Scale Aged White was used to mimic a W.W. I clear doped linen shade.

A custom mix approximating that famous RAF PC-10 olive/khaki was used on the uppers. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Insignia Blue. Model Masters Aluminum was used on the intake and their Jet Exhaust took care of the burner cans.

Decals were all from spares. The fin flashes were deliberately placed that way as most British/French aircraft of the time painted them in this order, although as with PC-10, variations abound.

It took me four days to build this even though I had it all planned out for a while now.

I'd like to thank Bill for his kindness in sending the kits that made this all possible. I couldn't have done it without you!

I was hoping to get this done in time for the Armistice Centenary but things got in the way. Still, it caused me to reflect on the history as I was building it and specifically the day that terrible conflict concluded 100 years ago.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:15:58 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:13:18 AM »
Now that looks very intriguing Brian   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mind you, there'll be some screaming blue murder after seeing you use that old kit   ;D

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »
Did not see this coming.  You did a wonderful job negotiating a bi-lateral laminer flow Lightning.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
 :smiley: :D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Remembering while back you speculated about bi-wing Lightning.
Contrary to my perceived result, you made it work.  Tall fuselage allows room between wings.
Lightning wears those wings (mono or bi) better than original.  Good choice.  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »
Well that was not what I was expecting either. Nicely done

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »
Brian my old friend, that is inspired and brilliant! I'm amazed how well PC10 over doped linen works on those lines! And the biplane wings are the icing on the cake. Bravo!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 03:09:38 AM »
very cool

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 03:42:58 AM »
Damn, that's an impressive bit of building and painting.  My hat is off to you, sir.

Offline kill me now, put me out of pain

• Holding Pattern
  • What, is this place facebook, delete my account
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 04:12:51 AM »
x
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:49:23 PM by mundster »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 07:02:19 AM »
Excellent concept beautifully executed. Easy to imagine an 'X'-wing SE.205 derived from your biplane  Lightning as well  :D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 09:42:48 PM »
Oh so very good, you really ought to design the real thing.   :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 05:29:47 PM »
Beautiful. I really  like the "stacked wings" concept!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Great idea Brian, I love it!