Author Topic: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937  (Read 23773 times)

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Danish Navy project HM-III 1937
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »
New kid on the block.  :P
By the mid 1930's the Danish Navy reconnaissance/observation/light bomber Heinkel He 8 floatplane had become obsolete. To replace it the Navy looked around for a suitable seaplane but found none. It was then proposed to use the Heinkel He 70 in a navalized version. The alternative would be upgrading the He 8 planes or an all new own floatplane design; which would have been a single engine beast the size of a Bristol Blenheim on floats! Nothing came of any proposal and by 1940 it was decided to buy four Heinkel He 114 as a stopgap measure till funds would be available for a major renewal of Navy aircraft. Then came 9. April 1940 - Denmark occupied by Germany and an end to naval aviation for eight years.

The Heinkel He 70 Floatplane / HM-III would be fitted with a Hawker Siddeley Tiger IX engine and would also take on the role of bomber-/torpedobomber.
To make stuff happen the old Matchbox/Revell Heinkel He 70/170 kit was used fitted with the engine and floats of the FROG Blackburn Shark. Camo would be the 1938 experimental Danish camo of khaki/light olive/light blue grey. Wheels would be kept for possible landbased operations.
Here she is

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »
 :smiley:

Nice!  Very nice!

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:22:25 AM »
Not really my favorite kind of aeroplane ... but that camo looks good  :-*

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:03:28 AM »
Damn fine entrance.  I was only thinking about a floatplane He70 the other day.  Hope you're not reading my mind...you never know what you might stumble across in there.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:13 AM »
He 70 has that definite "Indiana Jones" vibe (well, it is a German aircraft from the correct period), so this is a wonderful take on the concept! :-*

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:26:11 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  :smiley:
@GTX admin: Then I must be able to mindread into the future as the model was completed some years back but I only discovered the site a short while ago.  :o

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »
Here's something all out of the wild blue yonder!
During summer I was lucky to get my hands on four boxes of old model kits; among them a Pioneer2 Focke Wulf Ta-154 missing parts which didn't appeal to me. Then I decided to use some of the kits to practice building skills upon. Then this happened -
East Germany 1945: in the wake of Nazi defeat colonel Sergej Korolev had been sent from his drawing board in Kazan to Germany to see if anything worthwhile to the advancement of the Soviet State could be scooped up; notably the V-2 programme.
Arriving at an abandoned Luftwaffe base on the way towards Peenemünde he stumbled across the remains of a Focke Wulf Ta-154. It lacked the canopy and most of the interiors. Korolev wanted to know what the aircraft was all about and had his workers and some impressed Germans clean up the wreck.
Looking around the wreckage littering the place he stumbled upon a Messerschmitt Me-163. It being a wreck itself and known by now to the Soviets Korolev decided to borrow parts of it to rebuild the Ta-154.
Within a few days Korolev had his single seater Ta-154 airworthy. It lacked the radar which Korolev now was in the know of and had been ripped of its cannons but at least it could be tested in its new single seat configuration.

Engines had been fixed and tested

and the Ta-154 singleseater was ready for take-off

The aircraft was successfully testflown and then the Soviet Airforce commission had to be notified. The aircraft was flown off to some airbase within the Soviet Union. Korolev would go on his business in Peenemünde and return to the Rodina with the German rocket scientist's and engineers and ultimately head the Soviet Space Program. At times he would tell his Little Eagles - the Soviet Cosmonauts - of his experiences of rebuilding the Ta-154 to airworthy condition. Nobody knew what had become of the aircraft as the Jet-age had set in and nobody gave a damn of old Nazi piston aircraft; except a Soviet rocket engineer.
Years later Yuri Gagarin discovered the Ta-154 single seater in storage on an airbase and he wanted to show the aircraft to Korolev. Unfortunately Korolev died before he could see the aircraft one last time. With the death of Gagarin two years later the single seater Ta-154 once again lapsed into obscurity.  ;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
Great use of a so-so kit and includes two of my favourite Russians: Gagarin and Korolev.   :D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
Awesome models! The He 70 looks fantastic. Is the Ta 154 based on the old PM models kit?

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Congratulations :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
He 70 has that definite "Indiana Jones" vibe (well, it is a German aircraft from the correct period), so this is a wonderful take on the concept! :-*

x2 on  definite "Indiana Jones" vibe.  Helped much by color scheme.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
The  He 70 Floatplane / HM-III reminded me of a British WWII bomber... just remembered the name: The Vickers Wellesley:

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  :D
I don't know if the Ta-154 is based on the PM kit or its the other way round. Whichever its a kit demanding lots of sanding and dryfitting and  then more sanding. And ever so basic... though fine for a what-if.  ;D
@Frank3k: one day I do have to get a Wellesley.  ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
its a kit demanding lots of sanding and dryfitting and  then more sanding
So: double congratulations, as your final result is just perfect! :-*

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
The Ta154 almost looks like a pressurised high altitude version.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:03:19 PM »
Cheers guys  :D
@GTX admin: thanks; couldn't get my mind on what it reminded me of. The Korolev touch upon the Ta-154!  :icon_meditation:

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 11:32:24 PM »
On the workbench - old FROG EE Lightning kitbash with as old Matchbox Viggen.  ;D
Wings and canards mounted; Matchbox plastic is somewhat brittle though FROGs fine to work. The rest is plastic card, flash (always remember to save flash), a little putty and lots of glue.

Offline JoseFern

• Has gone by many names...we simply prefer "Genius"
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
Looking forward to see the final result in plastic since we had the same idea (unfortunately I am not a modeller). ;)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
This Lightning/Viggen mix is VERY interesting! Maybe impossible to fly due to centering issues but this is great fun! :-*

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »
Wow is that one heck of an introduction and I don't think I've ever seen a Danish scheme rendered better!

Putting the He-70 up on floats was truly inspired!

Welcome to BtS, Arctic Warrior. It looks like you'll fit in nicely and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Brian da Basher

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 04:49:12 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  :smiley:
There is more insanity lurking to get into the light. Have just restocked with model kits so shit may happen.
I think I may have a home here for my dark side of modelbuilding; the "real" models going onto Airfix Tribute Forum.  ;D
@Tophe: I had those worries myself though it won't stop my carrying on.  :icon_ninja:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 05:25:48 AM »
Lightning-Viggen combo is right on.  :smiley:
Never woulda thought of it.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
JoseFern cheers! Was wondering where to fit the refuelling probe  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »
Your He 70/HM III floatplane is wonderful  :smiley: Way back when, I did a profile of the same concept.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 05:14:32 AM »
Welcome AW, first class intro, loving all three but really looking forward to the Liggen/Vightning.  Makes me think of the U.K. Not
buying F4s but getting into bed with the Swedes and producing your little gem.

Nice work!
 :-* :smiley:
Ian
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.