Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Cheaper Sheet Plastic For Model Building‏

<< < (3/5) > >>

Frank3k:

--- Quote from: kerick on January 10, 2018, 08:09:11 AM ---Has anyone used a solvent to remove the paint or ink from plastic signs? I know I can sand it off but its a pain to do a large area. I was thinking of trying oven cleaner or degreasing detergent in the same way as enamel paint. I'm hoping someone has an easier method.

--- End quote ---

Five years ago in this thread I had the same problem! I didn't try oven cleaner, but all the solvents that ate the paint also damaged the plastic. Sanding seems to be the best solution that works on some of the signs with "baked on" paint.

I found that Amazon has some random deals on white styrene sheets; they ended up costing the same (or cheaper in one case) than the For Sale signs I was buying.

Kerick:
I had not thought of using Amazon! They sell everything else, why not! Thanks!

Jeffry Fontaine:
@kerick

As far as the paint goes on those signs, I used sand paper and paint thinner on the few occasions where the paint got in the way.  There are a couple of other products to try for removing paint and things without doing anything to the finish of the plastic, something called GooF-Off or similar will work but you need to check the label and also test it on a sample of the plastic you are going to clean before going all-in.  I have used one of these products without any issue but my results were not the same as for others and the stuff dissolved the plastic.  Also, I try to use the clean side out and the painted side in for any of the things I worked on. 

Kerick:
Sometimes I have two sides showing or I want to glue one side and show the other. Sanding is ok for small pieces but I would like to remove it quickly for larger pieces.

Robomog:
Hi all,

Found another source for plastic card, and it was right under my nose!

The source is the humble CD case or jewel case as it is some times called.

Both the outer case and insert will accept polystyrene cement and the outer case is clear plastic.

The down side is the plastic is relatively thick and quite brittle.

Nevertheless it is a other source of cheap plastic.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version