Author Topic: Radars- land-based, ship-based, and airborne  (Read 4294 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Radars- land-based, ship-based, and airborne
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
I've been messing with Shipbucket parts like I always do...... found myself in a situation where there is a large obstacle amidship.  I fear that the said obstacle will end up leaving a fair bit of radar blind zone and therefore would like a system that would allow me to place the antennae on separate deckhouses (à la Ticonderoga class or post-upgrade Sa'ar 5 maybe).  Which pretty much left me with the modern-day non-rotating phased array radar......

Would I be able to put multiple antenna panels on separate deckhouses by default, or am I stuck with select models (like MF-STAR on upgraded Sa'ar 5 corvette)?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:58:43 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Radars- land-based, ship-based, and airborne
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:22:37 AM »
What era are we talking? 
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:27 AM »
What era are we talking?

Anything since the 1990s.  To be used with SM-2MR and ESSM, doesn't have to be as capable as those used by dedicated AAW ships, but preferably be more affordable.

Maybe I can do TRS-4D + CEAMOUNT...... unless the pairing is more expensive than APAR and Sea Master 400 combined......
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:14:54 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:50:07 AM »
In that case, using phased array radars, you should be able to separate out the arrays.  It would mean more cabling etc (and maybe some smart software) in the ship but would be possible.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
Much like the multiple arrays used by IAI's Phalcon system for AEW aircraft.  Yeah, multiple arrays should work, as Greg said, with some extra cabling and some fancy software.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
The other is retain rotating arrays but have two as seen on many RN concepts from the 50s with a pair of 984 dust bins.  The way it would work is each would be set for 270deg with 90deg blanked to prevent interference with each other and other ship systems and ideally be rotating such that each was illuminating at 180deg to the other.  You would then have a 2D mounted as high up as possible between the pair of 3Ds to provide horizon search and early warning, next step down would be the guidance sets / directors.

Offline dy031101

Cooperative Engagement Capability
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
I've also been under the impression that CEC allows one ship to provide target illumination for missiles fired by another.  But does it?  Or does it merely allocate defensive missiles on a battle group basis but still having each ship guiding its own missiles?

Thanks in advance.