Author Topic: 1/72 Chowchilla War Games Camo P-36  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Chowchilla War Games Camo P-36
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:24:22 AM »

The 1930's could rightly be called the golden era of comedy films as this classic RKO release shows:

However Hollywood's light-hearted hilarity belied the mood of tension caused by war scares starting with the Czech Crisis in 1938. By September of the following year, an actual war had broken out in Europe. Attempting to reassure the public, the U.S. Army Air Corps displayed the 27th pursuit squadron's P-36 fighters in warpaint at the Cleveland air races. Photos of this famous flight-line in combat colors have become iconic.

Utterly forgotten today is that this Air Corps effort was not confined to just one air show or just one unit. In fact, the U.S. Left Coast got a display of Air Corps' readiness at the 1939 Los Angeles air races. also running that Labor Day weekend.

The ostensible excuse for this unique scheme were the regional Chowchilla war games held only days before. The 34th pursuit squadron's P-36 Hawks did indeed look every bit the business.

The crowd at the LA Air Races gaped at the intimidating camouflage, probably imagining air battles taking place in the skies above the great metropolis.

The pilots of the 34th squadron "Thunderbirds" were more than happy to oblige such flights of fancy and flew numerous aerobatic displays which culminated in speed dives that seemed aimed right at the grandstand.

Of course, having the public, especially the ladies, thinking war was imminent only served to enhance the pilots' prestige, not to mention their chances at the bars once night came.

Needless to say, the colorful Curtiss Hawks were the hit of the LA Air Races and everyone wanted to see them. Crowds swelled over the three days and all attendance records were shattered by the time the spectacle concluded.

While the "battle-ready" 34th pursuit squadron's P-36s and pilots got plenty of local press, they were completely over-shadowed by the concurrent display at the Cleveland Air Races.

Little evidence of the "Thunderbirds" war-like antics exist today save for a few blurry Kodak Brownie snapshots which were used (with liberal interpretation) as a reference for this model commemorating the event.

Despite numerous F.O.I.A. requests, no further documentation has been provided by either the Army, Air Force or General Services Administration. Queries to the air show's sponsor, the long-defunct California Chamber of Air Commerce went unanswered. A search of Los Angeles press archives yielded no usable photographs, but the pertinent local news briefs were at least well-written.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:29:56 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Chowchilla War Games Camo P-36
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:55:32 AM »
This all started with the venerable 1/72 Monogram Curtiss P-36 Hawk (your box art may vary).

For years, like many fans of inter-war aircraft, I've been intrigued by photos of the 27th pursuit squadron in camo at the 1939 Cleveland Air Races. While there's more than a few pictures out there, given the era and state of photography at the time, the actual colors of that famous warpaint are open to interpretation.

Even though I always liked that eye-catching scheme, I often wondered what a realistic version might look like using more appropriate colors. The originals had the camo carried over to the undersides for example.

Speaking of undersides...

..and now upper sides:

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Poly Scale Hopper Beige with spots of Poly Scale War-Pac Gray (the green, oddly enough) and Model Masters (I almost typo'd that Model Monsters) Tan. Decals are from the kit except for the 34th pursuit squadron badges which were swiped from a P-26 Peashooter.

I've been working on this on and off over the last couple of weeks. Since there's no in-progress shots, here's a few extras shots without the flash. It never ceases to surprise me how the appearance of a model can change under different light.

Another extra is this nifty 1989 Monogram catalog that came with the kit.

I was a little busy that year, so I may not have gotten my Design the Next Monogram Kit entry in on time. It's a shame too...

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my Chowchilla War Games P-36 and reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:38:10 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: 1/72 Chowchilla Wargames Camo P-36
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
Very nice! I love those pre-WW2 wargame water colour paint schemes  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:39:57 AM »
BdB - you are master of P-36 kits and their derivatives.
If photographed in b&w it might look like flying cow camo !

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Nice!

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:55 AM »
That's almost…REAL WORLD! :o Still, I love the camo pattern; looks like something you'd see protecting the skies from airship pirates in the '30s.

That 1989 Monogram catalog was a great throwback. I remember wanting but never buying that 1970 Buick GSX and I'd totally forgotten the X30 supersonic airplane.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »
very nice

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:52 PM »
Congratulations! ;)

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
What do you have the T-Birds flying in 1939?  I haven't got around to doing retro Thunderbirds yet, but I did a Curtiss F-11C, Grumman F3F, and Brewster Buffalo in Blue Angels markings.  Next up is the first one, leftover F9Fs.  For some ideas of markings for first gen (say, P-6)  T-birds, google up National Recovery Act.  The insignia was sort of a proto fascist eagle.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 02:11:53 AM »
 Nifty! I gain a new appreciation for the lines of the P-36 as well!