Author Topic: Queegs Project '46 profiles  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Queegs Project '46 profiles
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the inspiration section but as it contains profiles its here for now (feel free to move it Brian).

Anyway, below is a little background and some design ideas behind our (me and my brother's) Project ’46 stuff. I put them together some time ago to provide a framework for some of the modelling and our gaming.

We roughly planned for four classes of vehicles which would be allocated to different arms-of-service dependant on battlefield role.

1) The Infantry would convert all motorised units to semi-tracked to improve battlefield mobility and were to replace their 4×2 and 4×4 trucks with the SdKfz251 family of half-tracked vehicle's.

2) The Fallschirmjager and Heer Jager units would receive the family of air-transportable light armoured vehicles based on the excellent Panzer 38(t) chassis.

3) The armored reconnaissance corps or Panzeraufklärungstruppe would receive additional vehicles based on, and to compliment, the existing 234 8rad chassis. The corps would receive fully enclosed infantry transport and support vehicles fully based on a unifed chassis, both simplifying maintenance and improving capability.

4) Finally the Panzergrenadiers would receive a family of fully tracked and enclosed APCs based on the PzIII/IV “Hummel” chassis. These vehicles would finally provide the service with the capability to keep up with the Panzers under cross country conditions and provide superior overhead protection for the troops and weapons systems.

Brent

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:46:21 AM by Queeg »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Queegs Project '46 profiles
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
Your modifications to the SdKfz 234 series is quite close to what I was imagining a couple of months ago.  Turning the vehicle around to make it an "off roadster" of some kind with the assistant driver becoming the driver and the driver position being lost in modifications to make a rear entry way or in your case to enlarge the hull spaces. 

Any more pictures of your Transporpanzerspahwagen that show the interior spaces? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Your modifications to the SdKfz 234 series is quite close to what I was imagining a couple of months ago.  Turning the vehicle around to make it an "off roadster" of some kind with the assistant driver becoming the driver and the driver position being lost in modifications to make a rear entry way or in your case to enlarge the hull spaces. 

Any more pictures of your Transporpanzerspahwagen that show the interior spaces?

The idea came from trying to make an apc on the same chassis. I wanted the troops to debus out of a rear door instead of having to leg it over the side and with the engine at the front you are left with a decent space for troops or for .... anything.

I can't show the interior space on the transporter as apart from the top picture they really are plates! They're all photoshoped mods of the single apc vehicle. I did pick up a LAV ARV as a donor for a hiab jib to maybe fit on it. I sort of envisioned it as being similar to the Stalwart, an ammo and load carrier.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »

The idea came from trying to make an apc on the same chassis. I wanted the troops to debus out of a rear door instead of having to leg it over the side and with the engine at the front you are left with a decent space for troops or for .... anything.

I can't show the interior space on the transporter as apart from the top picture they really are plates! They're all photoshoped mods of the single apc vehicle. I did pick up a LAV ARV as a donor for a hiab jib to maybe fit on it. I sort of envisioned it as being similar to the Stalwart, an ammo and load carrier.

I did not realize the images were all based on photo-shopping an image to create your profiles.  I thought you had actually built models, nonetheless, excellent idea and a much better rendition than what I had been working with. 

Other sources for a HIAB Crane can be found in an Italeri 1/25th scale truckers accessory set if you want a larger crane with the same overall shape.  Academy has a nice HIAB crane in the M113 Fitters Vehicle kit.  Probably not worth your while but if you happen to see it, there was a metal metal and resin M113 Fitters Vehicle conversion from Peddinghaus and a resin M113 Fitters Vehicle conversion from Verlinden that had the HIAB Crane. 

You could also take your LAV and just cut the top half of the hull from just behind the driver and engine compartment to create a nice open area that just needs to have a floor added to it and you can have a rather nice 8X8 wheel cargo truck :)

The crane on the back end of the Italeri M977 HEMTT might also work and it has some out-riggers to stabilize the vehicle while loading/unloading. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:12 AM »
This is what I built first .....  as it worked out I then worked out the "family" of vehicles from that using a side shot. This is 1/72nd and a bit like my Hummel based FSV I've just ordered a few bits to try and make it in 1/35th.

And that was pretty much exactly my thinking with the LAV-R, great minds and all that : )

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:55:55 AM »
I'm not sure whether great minds think alike or if the donor vehicle shape forces everyone's ideas to go down the same path but that apc is similar to a few others, including GTX's profiles on the other site a year ago, that I've seen.

Nice designs & models Brent (especially the AA version :-* ) all very cool :icon_music: