Author Topic: Maintenance Platform in 1/72  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Maintenance Platform in 1/72
« on: September 11, 2023, 01:06:55 PM »
Here's some pics of a PE set off of Hobbyist Haven. It's a little expensive but it works out pretty nice for something that's hard to find. I just wish there was something in 1/48th. I don't normally do PE so this was a big jump for me. This will be my entry for my club's "Out of your comfort zone" contest.

These are all the parts in the package including all the extra shapes left over.

Close up of the stairs. Toughest part here was eyeballing the angle to bend the treads at.

A shot of the stairs and platform together. This is the arrangement that's given in the set as it arrives. To me, this doesn't make a lot of sense as the stairs should be at the opposite side as the open side of the platform or maybe at one end or the other. The open side should be against the aircraft or whatever is being worked on. Unless people are working on stuff overhead or something. Then all the sides should have railings. At least they give you extras and the original ones can be trimmed away and repositioned.

One coat of Model Master orange acrylic. I wanted paint that would not glob on and be so thick and lumpy it would hide all the detail. It's not perfect coverage so I'll call it a little worn and dirty looking. I'll add a little bit of a darker shade of metal to the platform surface to make it look used. The barricades I left unpainted.

Closer look at all the extra bits and pieces left over. Good for any number of whiff projects. Quite a bonus if you ask me!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Maintenance Platform in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 01:28:53 PM »
That is a fair bit of wow... these look really nice

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 04:38:29 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 11:01:52 PM »
Great job! Can't you snip one set of railings from the back (or side) and put the stairs there? I wonder if you can hone/sand the spare steel bits into tiny cutting edges.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 01:17:52 AM »
I’m sure a person could rearrange the railings quite a bit. Especially before all the bending into place. Plus they give extras. Once I decide what model to display them with some changes could happen.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 03:27:28 AM »
WOW - nicely built.  Just the thing for dioramas.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 09:03:21 AM »
WOW - nicely built.  Just the thing for dioramas.

Like he said!  Looking forward to seeing this "Out of your comfort zone" build when you've finished your weathering  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 12:33:37 PM »
That shouldn’t take too much. Just a little dry brushing.
I would try some paint on the barricades if it would look a little more like galvanized steel. For the barricades some thicker enamel paint would make the flat PE look a little more rounded like the real ones I’ve seen that are made from pipe.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 12:35:57 PM by Kerick »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »
While I had my metal bending mojo going I decided to tackle the Metal Earth present my daughter gave me a while back. It appears to be the Disney version of the Jules Vern Nautilus. A little more complicated than the platforms were but not nearly as bad as I had feared. Its not perfect but i think it's pretty good.

I think I have the "out of your comfort zone" contest at my next club meeting covered!
I must say it went together well with some decent instructions included. The only problem was installing the propeller or whatever it was supposed to be to the rear of the hull with the rudder in the way. Oh, and some more extra metal parts for future use. I am thinking of buying other of these Metal Earth kits to build and a couple, like the Ferris Wheel for whiff parts.

I've applied some "steel" colored paint to the platforms. Worked out well. It was the Vallejo duraluminun acylic for airbrushing. Worked quite well for dry brushing. Pic will be added soon.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 09:40:25 PM »
Looks good! Well done, mate! :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."