Author Topic: 1/35 Vickers 'Siete Toneladas'  (Read 569 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Vickers 'Siete Toneladas'
« on: March 29, 2024, 11:24:30 AM »
I was inspired by Apophenia's Vickers Mark E 6-ton light tank with a VVSS suspension to try and make a 1/35 version. I have many Vickers 6T/7TP/T-26 kits lin my stash, since it's one of my favorite tanks.

This will be my second build of a Vickers/7TP/T-26 tank inspired by Apophenia's artwork - 2 years to the month!

Here's his original artwork for the 'Siete Toneladas' (on the right):

I thought I had enough parts left over from the 8TP build, but I used all those special parts to build that version. So back to the stash, where I picked out the HobbyBoss Soviet T-26 Light Infantry Tank Mod.1935

For the VVSS, Jeff sent me some spare bits that included most of the running gear from a Tamiya M5A1.

Shockingly, this HobbyBoss kit is a pretty straightforward build (except for the individual track links, which I won't be using) with modest use of PE. The first discrepancy I found between the 'Siete Toneladas' artwork and the parts I had on hand was with the running gear. Two suspension units easily fit where the original suspension would have gone. No need for the half VVSS:

I enlarged the mounting holes and connected the Tamiya parts with a plastic rod, for rigidity:

I used the kit's return rollers because the fit the Tamiya rubber tracks just fine. I have most of the hull built, but I have two issues to fix; first, the artwork shows the Vickers style uncovered rear air intake, while the T-26 kit uses the later curved intake cover. I may go with the curved one, but I built an uncovered version to compare.

The more serious problem is with the fenders. The M5 track is wider than the original T-26 track, so the track connectors and part of the tracks jut out past the fender. I may have to design and draw up wider fenders or figure out a way of spacing them away from the hull.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:28:16 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: 1/35 Vickers 'Siete Toneladas'
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 11:38:23 AM »
1)  "spacing them away from the hull" would seem to be the better choice.

2) Stop being so damned inspirational.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:14 AM »
Frank.  Let me know if you need any more Stuart VVSS parts.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:03:48 PM »
Looking at your version, Frank, & apophenia's artwork; the extra half-unit is still a good idea, as it adds an extra road wheel to distribute the weight of the tank & reduce ground pressure, it also increases the height of obstacles that can be cleared, by having the front road wheel further forward & the rear road wheel further aft, & reduces the risk of throwing a track when manoeuvring.

The two-unit system is workable but it will reduce mobility, obstacle clearance (including the increased risk of bottoming out on an obstacle it may just scrape over at the front) & agility.

Still, nothing's perfect. ;) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 04:17:48 AM »
Yeehaw! Fantastic to see this in plastic, Frank!

I had no real plan for my 2 + 1/2 suspension arrangement other than trying to match the ground contact of the Vickers 6-Ton. As Guy suggested, beyond balance, I was also hoping for better cross-country handling at speed (which I'd hoped would be closer to M2 Stuart top speeds than that of the 6-Ton).

That said, looking at Frank's double suspension units, I'm guessing that this version of the 7-Ton would still be faster than the original ... just maybe a bit more of a handful cross-country. Still, the beauty of Frank's arrangement would be speedier development with quicker delivery of the 'Siete Toneladas' into the field in Spain.

And no need for Rock Island to faff about designing my half-suspension unit  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:39:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

@Story - you can blame Apophenia for being inspirational.

@ Jeff - thanks; I think I'm good for this build. I had to scrounge some suspension parts, but I had enough from old builds.

The only way to make the fifth suspension wheel work is by moving the VVSS suspensions further apart, but that would mean new mounting holes. I figured that a real world conversion would want to minimize the work, so the new suspension is mounted in place of the old one.

I tried spacing the fenders out, but that didn't work, so I added a strip of plastic to make them wider. They still need some small bolt details.
This is what it looks like now, with tracks and fenders just tacked on. The white plastic over the suspension parts will be removed. The white loops towards the rear are paper + CA. HobbyBoss wanted the shaped formed from flat PE. Not happening. The paper looks identical to the PE part:

Here are two fuzzy images of the air intake at the rear. Kit provided hood:

I 3D printed a flat piece using the dimensions of the Mirage Vickers 6 kit, but it was a bit small, so I added thin plastic to increase the dimensions. This also removes the print lines. I'll add a mesh at some point:

I may go with the kit part.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 02:02:53 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 01:12:38 AM »
 :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 01:54:45 AM »
I applied a layer of primer, with the fenders held in place with putty.

The tank is resting in Mig paint, which is just outstanding. Very smooth and satiny.

The nice thing about 4BO is that everyone can agree on the shade. The Russians were very strict about the color and had high grade paints that never faded or changed in shade.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 03:43:53 AM »
... The tank is resting in Mig paint, which is just outstanding. Very smooth and satiny. ..

It does look gorgeous in that finish  :-*

... The nice thing about 4BO is that everyone can agree on the shade...

And it had a great name! "Protective Green 4BO" makes it sound like add-on armour in a paint can  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 05:27:47 AM »
Yeehaw !   very nifty build there.
The kit appears to be very benign.

I do like the SP Gun drawing as well

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 10:34:06 AM »
Here it is, straight out of the depot. It doesn't look like this anymore...

I'm not a fan of the extremely rusted exhaust seen on so many tank models, especially for vehicles with few hours on them:

The VVSS suspension really looks like it belongs on this tank:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 12:37:48 PM »
Finished!

Our French mechanic is confused...

I printed the 244 on the turret, but the other two decals are from the kit:

With the earlier 8TP:

Thanks for all the comments, and thanks to Apophenia's inspiration and to Jeff's timely supply of VVSS suspension and tracks.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 01:23:28 PM »
That was a rather quick build.  Now looking even better with a good coat of paint and the figure next to it.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 09:46:42 PM »
Very cool! Nice comparison between the two to really show the different running gear off.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 10:59:34 PM »
Thanks guys - it's hard to believe that (other than the running gear) IRL, these two tanks are from the same Vickers/7TP/T-26 family.

Jeff - it was a quick build because I didn't have to build the 226 link track:

That's the trademark HobbyBoss gotcha in this kit.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 06:18:46 AM »
Very nice, Frank!  And your ˇNo pasarán! script was a great touch  :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 10:33:47 PM »
 The running gear aside, the 8TP looks like some one squeezed the turret and the extra mass oozed down into the engine deck...

Both great looking builds!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 05:02:09 AM »
Super nice, very subtle paint, it just all works  :smiley: :smiley: