Author Topic: Second Korean War GB - Inspiration Thread  (Read 12865 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Second Korean War GB - Inspiration Thread
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
For all things to inspire the imagination regarding the Second Korean War.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:38:10 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Re: Second Korean War GB - Inspiration Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »
Rumours of a secret fighter being built in North Korea drew in a young aviation researcher to look for the truth.  Posing as an Australian tourist in order to enter the country,
Brian, the researcher, blagged his way into a new design bureau in May D 'upe, a town a little east of Pyong Yang. Claiming to be interested in doing a college study of the
worlds best designers in aero space, Brian was introduced to Wun Long Wang, a junior engineering designer on the new Mik O Yan Bundle.

Unaware of Brian's language skills, Wun Long let his visitor see written reports that were top secret in fact. As soon as our intrepid researcher realised what was going on,
he made a bee line for South Korea, causing panic in the North Korean authorities in case he had discovered the secret of the new Bundle.

Sending, in it's panic, a small helicopter assault force to intercept Brian, the North Korean forces alarmed the South Koreans and inadvertently, began the second Korean war.

This sorry state of affairs was not helped when the elusive Mr D Basher, having gained safety aboard a U.S. rescue helicopter, told the world the secret of the Bundle.
Yes, the N.K. government was going to refurbish over 100 Mik O Yan bundles, and another word for a bundle (of sticks?) is a , Fagot. The venerable Mikoyan 15 fagot was
going to continue to serve as a money saving measure, and D Basher Esq had let the cat out of the bag.
Does he get the blame for for starting a war? Time may tell. 

;)

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:24:32 AM »
The battle of the bad haircuts...

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:35:48 AM »
I think I could be enticed to build my other B-2 (not this one) and this below (middle pic) shouldn't be too hard to scratch build -------   :P

maybe with something like in the bottom pic
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:53:04 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I feel bad about this GB subject, like highly political, in a special direction, that I think is unfair (N.K. is not allowed to have nukes while USA and my France are alas allowed to have and not to respect the disarmament chapter in the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons)... So this GB saying "let us kill, yeah, how?" is very highly political, despite the forum rules.

from http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2.0
3.   Overtly political, religious and nationalistic posts are discouraged

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
I feel bad about this GB subject, like highly political, in a special direction, that I think is unfair (N.K. is not allowed to have nukes while USA and my France are alas allowed to have and not to respect the disarmament chapter in the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons)... So this GB saying "let us kill, yeah, how?" is very highly political, despite the forum rules.

from http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2.0
3.   Overtly political, religious and nationalistic posts are discouraged

This post sparked a revelation, I wonder how many who want to pre-emptively strike NK, Iran and others over their nuclear programs also prescribe to the often heard "guns don't kill, people do". ie it's OK to own assault weapons in the name of freedom, but not nucs.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 03:14:26 AM »
Guys, lets please keep this non controversial - if you can't do that then please just sit this GB out.  If my picture upset anyone then I apologise - I was actually trying to give things a humorous twist.

As for inspiration, (in the same light), maybe the Second Korean War is decided to be a drag race with ridiculous vehicles on either side.  Or maybe both sides revert to using catapults rather than missiles...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:18:43 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 03:22:28 AM »
More humorous inspiration:

You just know you can use that to inspire something...

Or maybe just go the simple route:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 03:27:05 AM »
One the flip side, there is also some inspiration here:  Greater Australia (particularly the final chapter)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:29:58 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 03:40:12 AM »
Some more inspiration from above:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
Korean Peninsula at night in 2012;

Courtesy of NASA.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 03:47:08 AM »
One line of thought for this GB, the cease fire rules state that;    No upgrading of equipment is allowed,  so both sides should be using Sabres, Thunderjets, Mustangs and Furies,
Panther, Banshee F4U and Skyraider etc. And the Yak 9, Lavochkin LA 9/11 and of course the Mig 15 and IL10 etc.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:55 AM »
Consider the situation along the DMZ in the late 60s with the US stretched thin in Vietnam and Western Europe. Was there an opportunity for a strike into SK when both the US and SK deployed some of the units in SK to Vietnam?

What if the Soviets had secretly reinforced the NKs with several divisions' worth of their latest T62s and they attacked the night of the 1968 presidential elections. What kind of opportunity might have existed then? What units would be left to defend the South? How fast could reinforcements arrive? What units were left to deploy given the need to retain NATO forces as is in case the SK assault was a feint?

B-52s, Phantoms and Thunderchiefs would have been readily available but fighting on the Korean peninsula in winter is a nasty business even when the weather is nice. When it socks in, the air power of November 1968 would have been much less effective.

SK was also much less democratic than now, under a military leadership with internal divisions and unrest ripe to be exploited by NK or the Soviets.

The period 1967 through '70 could have been a risky time for SK.

Paul

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
An expansion to my thought above.

If a war broke out as I outlined above, which countries might come to the aid of South Korea this time and what equipment might they provide?

Most NATO countries were focused on West Germany or the Eastern Med and North Atlantic. Few had the resources, in the short term, to send forces to South Korea without materially weakening NATO and increasing the risk of a general 3rd world war. Several south Asia countries were very involved in Vietnam and unable to spare forces from the, occasionally, national life or death struggles there.

So maybe the US is left trying to get support form Japan (where relations with Korea have never been the best), the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, New Zealand? What might those forces look like?

Just thinking out loud, here.

Paul

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 04:54:07 AM »
That's some really sentient analysis, Paul.

You've given this a lot more thought than I have that's for sure.

I'll have to keep these considerations in mind.

Brian da Basher

P.S. Mr Pigflyer, you have an excellent take on this GB concept and I'd heartily encourage you further explore...perhaps a Vampire or late-model Meteor in the Commonwealth colors of your choice?

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
Yes Paul, very good concept, NK after all does have a history of ramping things up when the big boys are preoccupied elsewhere.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
It's the engineer in me. I can't help it.  ;D

I was coming up with a backstory for why I could use the crappy M103A2 kit I have in the GB and had to come up with some sort of rationale for it to be in SK in the late 50s through late 60s period and to be fitted with the modifications I plan for it.

Then I fell down the logical rabbit hole and couldn't get out...   :o

Paul

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:31 PM »
It's the engineer in me. I can't help it.  ;D

I was coming up with a backstory for why I could use the crappy M103A2 kit I have in the GB and had to come up with some sort of rationale for it to be in SK in the late 50s through late 60s period and to be fitted with the modifications I plan for it.

Then I fell down the logical rabbit hole and couldn't get out...   :o

Paul

Mmmm..... down the old logical rabbit hole, sounds like my son, father, nephew, cousin and myself, some of whom are diagnosed on the autism spectrum while the rest of us are yet to be  ???

At least you can focus enough to actually build stuff, I just get so caught up in the alt reality that the building rarely, if ever starts, let alone finishes.

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 12:51:05 AM »
Mmmm..... down the old logical rabbit hole, sounds like my son, father, nephew, cousin and myself, some of whom are diagnosed on the autism spectrum while the rest of us are yet to be  ???

At least you can focus enough to actually build stuff, I just get so caught up in the alt reality that the building rarely, if ever starts, let alone finishes.
Luckily, I am not on the spectrum at all, I just take the logical approach to almost everything. Even for a WHIF, I just can't throw greeblies at something. They have to have at least some notional purpose that makes sense to me.

I get distracted by all the other stuff I have to do, including home renos and the rest of life, but actually building or starting builds isn't a problem. I hate painting, so finishing builds is my bottleneck, but the building part is pure relaxation for me so easy to do.

I do understand the difficulties of focusing on anything long enough to actually get a thing started (much less done) as I have several friends and/or their kids on the spectrum. It can be a tough thing, to be sure.

Paul

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 12:43:58 AM »
One line of thought for this GB, the cease fire rules state that;    No upgrading of equipment is allowed,  so both sides should be using Sabres, Thunderjets, Mustangs and Furies,
Panther, Banshee F4U and Skyraider etc. And the Yak 9, Lavochkin LA 9/11 and of course the Mig 15 and IL10 etc.

Or, to be more accurate;

(d) Cease the introduction into Korea of reinforcing combat aircraft, armored
vehicles, weapons, and ammunition; provided however, that combat aircraft,
armored vehicles, weapons, and ammunition which are destroyed, damaged,
worn out, or used up during the
 period of the armistice may be replaced on the
basis piece
-
for
-
piece of the same effectiveness and the same type. Such combat
aircraft, armored vehicles, weapons, and ammunition shall be introduced into
Korea only through the ports of entry enumerated in
paragraph 43 hereof. In

Ian

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:03 AM »
It would be interesting to try to imagine how one might decide on equivalence of capability as technologies improved over the years. Since Sabres aren't made anymore, how many Sabres make up one F-16? How many Shermans or Pershings/Pattons make up one M1A2 Tusk II?

Paul

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 02:33:24 AM »
"No, Mister Trump... we expect you to .. fry"

Offline Story

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 02:35:49 AM »
Guys, lets please keep this non controversial - if you can't do that then please just sit this GB out.  If my picture upset anyone then I apologise - I was actually trying to give things a humorous twist.

How do we insert youtube videos around here, again? https://youtu.be/lwoSFQb5HVk
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:38:30 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 02:47:45 AM »
No reason y'all couldn't take the Hollywood approach to this, to wit: a Red Dawn2 movie NorK "tank" built on the M8A1 tractor chassis