Author Topic: Warspite gets a few scars  (Read 32011 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Warspite gets a few scars
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
If the target was in a position for all the main guns to be bought to bear (clear 'A' arcs) then yes all the turrets/guns would be pointed at the target's bearing, although RN practice was to salvo fire, IE, all 4 'A' guns (port side) then all 4 'B' guns (starboard side), so if you had one set firing they'd be elevated to the correct angle following the director whilst the other set would be depressed to the loading position as this was fixed in this mark of 15 inch turret.

If you go to this Wiki page you'll see an animated loading sequence for the RN 15inch/42 caliber BL as fitted to Warspite;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_15_inch_Mk_I_naval_gun

Hope this helps,

Keep up the great work,

Neil 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »
Thanks weaver, wombat wait till I post the new updated background there may well be some surface action. But I will admit I had no idea. I do have a question then if that is the case would all the big guns be facing the same way and firing at the same time.

Chances are that they would, either firing on a target ashore or at the same ship, usually the biggest, because that's what they were designed for.

(One of Hood's errors was to target Prinz Eugen instead of Bismark, thereby wasting the power of her big guns on a smaller. more agile target.)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2014, 03:59:58 AM »
Well she's nearly done now just some rails and the rigging (no idea where that goes) I can see some of it in the box atr but obviously that does not show where its anchored or anything.
got a bit of work to do on the base and the background, but definitly on the finishing stretch.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »
Hi all this is where I am now still a lot of little things to add so probably wont be posting any more on this for a while as the bits I need to do wont really show up much and would just be boreing, but dont worry I will still be working on it.
Will have to find someone to donate it to then as its is too big to stay here.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »
That's already at a level that'll have many envious, kp!

Thanks for the update!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Look what came today.

I put the warspite on her just to show how big she is.
I will be a good boy though no starting it till I've finished the warspite dio, well fairly sure I will be a good boy, sort of.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
It's a pretty good kit the Flower if your not worried about accuracy, if you are your in for a bumpy ride to make an accurate RN Flower. I've two of 'em to build, plus a fiberglass hull, that makes three ......... :D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:49 AM »
well here is where I am now sorry in advance not turned out anywhere near as good as I hoped have ruined the rigging and some of the paint work,doing some more to the dio then the whole thing will be done I feel I have to finnish the base as I prommissed myself I wouldnt start anything else till this was finished.. dont think I will be donating it to the library though and definitley not to the next club show table I think it is now ruined and fit for the spares drawer

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »
Well it certainly looks like Warspite 8), and you've done a sterling job of it.  :)
Just remember it's all a learning curve and what you think is a fail to others is inconsequential and the fact that you attempted something as ambitious as this 'in combat' dio build with forced perspective tossed in is very much to your credit. Try something else next time and adjust your techniques  ;)
One bit of advice though, when you do rigging replace the kit plastic parts with brass rod and tube, you can really put some tension on the masts and yards without pulling things out of shape as I've learned the hard way. I now replace at the least the mast, supports and yards for a mode ship requiring rigging and any details are taken from the kit masts and attached to the brass replacements with Loctite Super Glue Gel.
This is a pic of one of my ships with only the kit masts;
DSC06748 140. MatsuS by Neil, on Flickr

This is a sister ship with the masts replaced with brass and steel, you can immediately see the difference between the model's masts;
DSC06774 18. SakuraS by Neil, on Flickr

I hope this helps mate, keep up the great work!!  8) 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:50:01 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »
Thanks Faaman.
Well its finished, managed to sort the rigging and hid the botched paint behind the gun blasts.
will take some better photos in the daylight tomorrow.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
Very cool indeed mate, jus' WOW!! :) 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »
Hi all thanks Faaman as promised here are some more pics taken in daylight.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
OMG :o
Totally excellent  :-* :-* :-*

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
Damn!!  That's a superb diorama and very nicely done models.

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 01:52:31 AM »
All I can say is wow - A first to see someone using fibre optics in a sea based diorama - the finla effects are totally awesome - the near misses and the Fw109 wing came out really great ! It was a real pleasure reading your article and would like to thank you for sharing your super build !

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »
Thank you glad you like it, it was displayed in my local library, but due to re allocation of space they can no longer display it so now I have it at home with no space for it, so it will probably end up in the spares drawer (although that is full to overflowing.