Author Topic: Hobby Boss  (Read 104098 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Hobby Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »
Lucky Model has just listed the HobbyBoss 1:350th scale USS Greenville (SSN-772) to their web page. 

Click on html or thumbnail image to view additional images of the kit contents at LuckyModel.

This will have to do until one of the modeling pages does a kit review. 

Based on what I see in the images this looks to be a rather nice scale up of the 1:700 scale Greeneville kit with a lot more detail.  The SDV is what makes this kit appealing and also a what if since the real SDV was destroyed in a fire and never returned to service.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

plane art

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Dear Modellers!!
Also, Hobby boss has released some very inerested new kits, with the most dominant, the P-61B Black Widow in 32nd scale! It has been great news for a lot of Modellers in the world, esspecially those large scale nuts!!                                                                                                                   All the best!!

plane art

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Here is also the F4U-4B Corsair in 48th scale!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2013, 04:54:49 AM »
New 1/48 F-80 now available:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Yep, and as has become SOP with Hobby Boss they've screwed the pooch on shape.
 :icon_twisted:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
Box art has 50s kit look.  Reminds me of Aurora boxes.  Might call it a retro box.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
looks somewhat like the Tamiya box style too ???

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
HobbyBoss came out with a new 1/72 Dornier Pfeil and there's a build review up on Modeling Madness.

Despite the work of an incredibly skilled modeler, I can still see the wing/fuselage join which is a pitfall with most of their kits.

Still, I think HobbyBoss is great for quick builds and projects not requiring extensive mods.

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2013, 01:58:08 AM »
Despite the work of an incredibly skilled modeler, I can still see the wing/fuselage join which is a pitfall with most of their kits.

Really? I'm not seeing it. Which picture? On the upper surfaces it looks like the natural wing join/panel line/reinforcement. On the underside, what I thought was a bad join is just the lower engine scoop.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/72335.htm

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »
Check the 2nd shot Frank. The exhaust staining brings out what looks like a curved step between the fuse and wings.

Not that anything I build comes out any better, but this seems to be common among HobbyBoss kits.

Brian da Basher

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:05 PM »
And from Perth Military Modeling Site, because ONE 40M Nemrod SPAAG isn't enough (see recent Bronco thread)-
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/hobbyboss.html

I will say the US M19 tank transporter looks really cool.

plane art

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
Box art has 50s kit look.  Reminds me of Aurora boxes.  Might call it a retro box.

Hello there!!
I did painted it's box art and if it looks like the old Aurora kits, i fell flattern! I am working with acrylics and brushes and not with mouses and PC! It does not tham mean i do not respect the new style of box aart images, but i prefer the old way fo doing it!!
As for the shape of the kit, well sorry guys, i have nothing to do with that! I am only responsible with it's box art! Other people in Trumpeter-Hobby Boss factory have this task!!!
Have a good day!!

plane art

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
looks somewhat like the Tamiya box style too ???

Dear Raafif,
Again if the box art of the new P-80 by Hobby Boss reminds you Tamiya box art, i am really pleased about it!! Japanese box art artists i think are the very best in the world!!So i get a lot of inspiration from them!!!
All the best!!!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
That M19 tank transporter looks interesting. 

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
According to the "Trumpeter & Hobby Boss Fan Club" on Facebook (LINK), Hobby Boss will continue their CV 90 family:

They haven't posted which version they're gonna do. My guess is the upper hull in the pic will be for a Norwegian CV 9030N, due to the cupola for the section commander in the back and the heavier ribbing on the access hatches near the engine. The heavier ribbing isn't represent on Swiss and Finnish vehicles, the other operators of CV 90s with a cupola for the section commander. The Swiss and Finish vehicles also have a noticeable step for the raised troop compartment (as do the Danish and Dutch vehicles), while the Norwegian ones don't.
The lower hull could be for a Danish CV 9035DK. They use the same two large hatches for the troop compartment the Swedes use, but have a flexible periscope between the two hatches (the Swedish ones don't and the Swedes have the heavier ribbed access hatches). I don't think it's Dutch due to the raised access hatch to the left of the engine and the Dutch version's (again) different troop compartment roof.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Glad to hear that "export" versions of the CV 90 are in the works. One of the nations in my "Whif World" uses the CV 90 but I've held off on buying a 9040 in hopes that we'd get a 9030 or 9035.

Maybe there will be a CV 90120 in the works at some point.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »

Hello there!!
I did painted it's box art and if it looks like the old Aurora kits, i fell flattern! I am working with acrylics and brushes and not with mouses and PC! It does not tham mean i do not respect the new style of box aart images, but i prefer the old way fo doing it!!
As for the shape of the kit, well sorry guys, i have nothing to do with that! I am only responsible with it's box art! Other people in Trumpeter-Hobby Boss factory have this task!!!
Have a good day!!

I'd say you did a magnificent job of capturing the look and feel of the box art from those classic kits, plane art!

Aurora totally. You've got an excellent eye, finsrin!

Brian da Basher

plane art

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
Dear Brian da Basher,
Thank you very much for the kind comments about my art! I am always trying for the best possible effort cos i do have a respect to all those great leaders of box art tradition, such as, Roy Cross, Roy Huxley, John Steel, Jack Leynnwood, Richard Kishady, etc etc!! I also was once a prolific modeller and surely felt better when the kit i was buying had a more elaborate box art on it's top!!
Thanks again, have a good modelling time!!!

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »
Hobbyboss announced 1/48 YF-23 for August. I hope it'll come soon :)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
1/48 YF-23? Yes, please!  So many possibilities...will be adding to the wish list.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
Well, here's the box art:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:05 AM »
WOW - love the box art  :-*

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »
Sprue shots of the YF-23 courtesy of HobbyBoss

A bit of disappointment in seeing that the fuselage does not feature any kind of weapons bay.  Still nothing to be sad about as it is still cheaper than the Collectaire kit :)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:19:03 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »
Same images as the link above but larger now available for viewing at ARC discussion forums at this link: 1/48th Northrop YF-23 Black Widow by HobbyBoss - box art

Friendly warning: Ignore the slag-fest by the "experten (*NSFW)" in that thread.  Just appreciate the fact that we have a 1:48th scale injection molded polystyrene model kit of the Northrop F-23/YF-23 that should be more affordable than the slab of resin that was offered by Collectaire.  I can not understand these haters in that thread nor do I wish to.  I see plenty of potential for this kit with or without the faults that the sad little trolls are going on about.  Unlike some of the other HobbyBoss kits, I will endeavor to acquire at least two of these kits if not more as I have always preferred the shape and appearance of the Northrop F-23 over that of the Lockheed Martin F-22 [C]Raptor. 

Now if someone has any idea about what the external wing stores pylons look like for the F-23 it would be a good time to share that information.  In the interim, I am thinking that using the wing stores pylons from the F-18 might be a good stand in for this purpose.  The argument being that the F-18 was designed by Northrop.  So why not? 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:51:04 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »
I'm thinking that LO is LO and they'd likely look like what's on the F-22 or F-35 in teh way of pylons.

thinking of doing a RF-23 with the front quarters of two TSSAM's mated together, back to back, and semi-submerged in the weapons bay.  You could even use the LO window applied to certain TSSAM variants for optical/IR use (scary thing is, 15 years later, I still remember the shape even though I didn't work on it directly).