Author Topic: The Bristol Brenheim - A Shot in the Dark in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Bristol Brenheim - A Shot in the Dark in 1/72 Scale
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

The Bristol Blenheim is one of the most notable multi-role aircraft of W.W. II.

Less well-known is a night-fighter derivative, the Bristol Brenheim.

It all started after His Majesty George VI was given an opportunity to test-fire the famous Bren Gun.

The King became an instant fan of the weapon and vigorously advocated for its wider deployment.

Early in the war, the R.A.F. saw the Bren as a potential answer to a chronic shortage of guns for their aircraft. Thus the Bren Aero Gun Mk. I was born.

As luck would have it, at the time Bristol was working on modified versions of the Blenheim. The Blitz gave their nascent night-fighter program a boost and a platform to make use of the new Bren Aero Gun Mk. I took flight in record time.

The aircraft performed reasonably well and seemed capable of protecting the night skies over England. Due to its unique armament, it was called the Brenheim.

Pilots were universal in their praise of the new night-fighter's flight characteristics.

They also appreciated the Brenheim's performance as a powerful gun platform, able to bring withering destructive fire to enemy bombers.

Their only complaint was the limited ammo capacity of the Bren guns. Unfortunately, a memo written early in the test stage ordering a fix took a while to make it out of the Air Ministry.

However, a quick and dirty answer was found when Bristol fabricated a ventral gun tray holding four more Brens.

While this doubled the available rounds from 120 to 240, after 30 seconds of firing, crews were left with nothing but insults to hurl at the enemy.

An answer had to be found and engineers burned the midnight oil attempting to increase the Bren Aero Gun's ammo capacity.

Unfortunately, by the time a workable solution worthy of mass-production was found, the gun shortage was over and newer, more capable aircraft than the Brenheim were entering service.

This uniquely armed night-fighter would slip silently into the darkness of ignominy, barely remembered even by those that briefly flew it. Nothing remains of this once proud aircraft today except a rather crude Cutting Hedge conversion set that is so seldom seen it may well be apocryphal.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:23:21 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: The Bristol Brenheim - A Shot in the Dark in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder why they didn't use the belt feed for the Bren?   Alternatively, the drum magazine could have worked...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
This all started with a classic 1/72 Airfix Blenheim IV that showed up recently (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Your box art may vary.

What's inside is pure, vintage Airfix, mad riveter and all.

With a name like Airfix you know it'll build fine if you trim the flash carefully and make sure things line up. Of course, mine would be a little different.

One thing that always bugged me about the Mk IV was that scoop in the nose so the pilot could see. I understand why this was needed, but it just kills the aesthetics for me. Luckily, when it comes to 1/72 scale models, having the pilot being able to see well enough to land the thing isn't a concern. After some careful cutting a Mosquito nose was grafted on along with a new canopy cut from blister pack.

Of course, I couldn't stop there. Those awful Bristol Mercury engines and cowlings along with the toy-like kit props had to be replaced with something sleeker. Fortunately, the parts from a Williams Bros. B-10 were a good fit.

I also added the tip of a drop-tank as a nice, aerodynamic fairing for the gun turret.

I had to wait until the end to add the ventral gun tray, but this shows how I plugged a few gaps with card on the underside and the fit of the retracted gear.

And here's how things looked top-side before paint:

Speaking of paint, a bottle mixed from left-overs of gloss, semi-gloss and flat black acrylic was used to cover most of the model via the old hairy stick.

I was trying to be frugal and use up as much of this paint as I could. Since it covered poorly, it took multiple coats so I guess that's some measure of success.

Kit decals were used for the most part and they went on astonishingly well considering they must be over 30 years old if not more.

The only exception were the fuselage codes. I knew the kit ones would silver terribly over all those rivets so a smaller set was swiped from a sheet for a 1/144 B-17.

Kit parts were used for those scary looking guns but oddly enough, none of the ones in the nose were actual gun parts.

Since I went with building it gear-up, I had a bunch of left-over struts, etc. to choose from.

The ventral tray guns were kit parts. Here's a close-up.

I had a blast building this model which took about a week but posting was delayed because I was down with an awful cold.

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me the kit and Jeff for his invaluable contribution to the back story.

I hope you enjoyed the Brenheim and reading a little more aircraft history that's become lost in the darkness of the past.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
That certainly makes the old Blenheim look different Brian   :) :) :)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
I really, really like the new nose on that one Brian! Bravo!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »
Brian, great work as always.  The BrenHeim looks rather intimidating in the black paint.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Standing ovation here !

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
I was thinking your friend Brian Johnson might have a few words to say about your build Brian:

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »
Very interesting invention! :-*
(I am speaking of the shape, not of the guns, I dislike killing tools, sorry) ??? :-\

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »
Really well done, so real looking and sounding, I can think of many people that would totally believe the whole thing. (It is a whiff, isn't it?)
Another Basher beauty.

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Same as pigflyer commented !